which is better for 100y shooting, sub or hi? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:21 PM
knitepoet
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to knitepoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr
So, it looks almost like a toss up between HV and subsonic when you get to 100 yards or so. But since you can't kill what you don't hit, I'll go back to my original statement. If ammo A groups better than ammo B at 50 yards, the odds are ammo A will group better than Ammo B at 100 yards and beyond.
Works for me
Paul
Old 10-29-2005, 03:45 AM
Crete

Palan isi lena (also known as Europe in vernacular Polynesian)
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Effective range

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitepoet
Works for me
Paul
Effective range is the point at which the minimum effective velocity for small game is still remaining, provided accuracy is satisfactory.

So, accuracy is key.

Well-placed shots are what it's all about in .22 rimfire shooting/hunting, I reckon.

Accuracy, precision, hitting what you aim at deliberatly and repeatedly are above velocity, energy, knock-down capacity and the like, within a .22 LR's effective range, which depends on the target's characteristics (type of game hunted).
Old 11-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Chazzy151

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd go for the HV, from what I've read the faster the more accurate at longer distances with a given bullet weight.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Dan877

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon164
read the first post again, it is his intention to use it for hunting.

But his question was which groups better, not which has more energy. The two are quite different.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:55 PM
3joe21
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
83% (4)
I'll offer a few quick comments then go back to my nap!

For hunting out to 100yds, I'd like some knock down power dilivered with a trajectory that's flatter than the rainbow offered by .22lr, subsonic or HV. I shoot enough silhouette with SS loads to know that there's about 7.5 moa from 40m out to 100m. Most of that elevation correction is past 50m. There's enough ato shoot right over or under the kill zone of a small critter past about 60 yds.

So, practice a lot. And to eliminate hold over guestimation error, I'd get a .22wmr/17hmr or something else flatter shooting to hunt reliably past 60yds.

Be considerate of the critter you shoot and dispatch them humanely with a load that has knock down power and is easy to estimate holdover.

As for 100yd accuracy between SS and HV, the SS are a lot more accurate. Knitepoet explains it well. HV is fine to 50yds, then accuracy falls apart. I've heard it explained that the bullet slows down to speed of sound, then turbulence at sound barrier messes up accuracy. That's too bad.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Miguel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is what I normally use for 100 yards, besides my AR...not too much

This is what it can do...even though I'm a crappy pistolero