Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Gray

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Leupold Scope Question on 4.5X14

I noticed looking at the Leupold web site that the VX-III 4.5X14 50mm no longer has an adjustable objective. I was surprised since I thought that any scope with a power higher than 10X needed the A.O. for parallax correction and focus at varying distances. Does anyone know why Leupold would choose to have a none A.O. on their newest 4.5X15 VX-III? Is it no longer needed? Thanks, Greg.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Marketing surveys. They surveyed customers and found the majority of buyers were putting these scopes on big game rifles and could have cared less about the AO feature. Personally I think marketing surveys are STUPID and the reason we wind up with some of the poorly designed and Frankensteinian purposed crap that's on the market today. Automakers are a good example of companies who do this also, making *******ized vehicles that are neither fish nor fowl, not really good for a truck, nor useful as a car, not a station wagon or a sports car, just a conglomeration of freakish looking trash. I also happen to think that any scope with magnification greater than 10 requires an AO, anything over ten power is in all probability going to be used on SMALL targets, where parallax error hurts the most. Fire the marketing department and build what's right regardless.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:20 PM
steinie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil in alabama
I also happen to think that any scope with magnification greater than 10 requires an AO, anything over ten power is in all probability going to be used on SMALL targets, where parallax error hurts the most. Fire the marketing department and build what's right regardless.
Amen. I am ticked that Leupold only makes 2 EFR scopes for us rimfire guys. It's the main reason I switched and started using my current favorite rimfire scope, the Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x50. They focus down to 10yrds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Bill Blackmore
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Leupolds VX111 4.5-14X50 like many of their models is available with or without AO
Old 05-28-2005, 03:48 PM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow VX-III 4.5-14x50mm Long Range Has AO

Gray,

Quote:
Product Highlights VX-III 4.5-14x50mm Long Range

For those situations where light is critical, we offer the VX-III 4.5-14x50mm Long Range scope. Found atop large and small game rifles alike, its mid-range magnification levels and its moderate size make it extremely adaptable to a wide range of shooting conditions and game, while its 50mm objective bell offers a larger exit pupil to the user.

Special Features
Index Matched lens coatings
Finger Adjustable MOA click windage and elevation dials
30mm maintube
Range estimating feature
Side focus parallax adjustment
Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee
View Additional Product Information
[ Leupold ]
`

BigMike
Old 05-28-2005, 10:55 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Side Focus rulz

Once you use one, the objective going round and round gets old

Clint
Old 05-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Neel

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
When hunting you sometimes dont have time to adjust the objective So I like non adjustable ones I just purchased a Vari-X III 3.5x10x40mm and had the Parallax set for 60 yards like the rimfire models Had all that done by premier recticles I just love it
Old 05-29-2005, 01:38 PM
steinie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeltonPrecision
When hunting you sometimes dont have time to adjust the objective So I like non adjustable ones I just purchased a Vari-X III 3.5x10x40mm and had the Parallax set for 60 yards like the rimfire models Had all that done by premier recticles I just love it
True, but I also missed a couple wabbits last year 'cause I was using my Leupold 6.5-20 that only adjusts down to 50 yards. They were so close, I couldn't see 'em thru the scope, just a blur of bushes and background. But I could see 'em with my naked eye, so I ended up trying to sight down the outside of the barrel.

That gun wears a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x50 now that adjusts down to 10 yds or even less.