Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:52 PM
RonM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Which Walmart ammo

I plan to buy a 452 (hopefully this weekend) and was wondering what bulk ammo should I use to break the gun in? It would be especially helpful if I could get it at Walmart, since they're everywhere. FWIW, I also just bought a Browning Buck Mark .22LR semi-auto pistol. Would be nice to use the same rounds in both.

I'm new to this so please avoid using abbreviated names, since I won't know what they mean. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:29 PM
torotoro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm also new to this so I probably don't know what I'm talking about but I'm very pleased with the CCI Blazer stuff. Wish I could buy ammo from Wally's around these parts.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:30 PM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Winchester Dynapoints [ WD22LRB ]

RonM,

Look for the Winchester Dynapoints [ WD22LRB ] in a 500 round carton. Many Wal*Marts carry them, but, unfortunately, not all do.....! !

Dynapoints: 40 Grain Copperplated Hollow Point @ 1,150 fps

Dynapoint Carton Image << Link

`

BigMike

Last edited by BigMike; 05-28-2005 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Added Link.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 02:52 PM
discoII
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Concur Dynapoints is the ticket as far as cheap ammo my CZ likes them just about as well as wolf.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:56 PM
dbaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
which Walmart ammo

WAllmart carries Fereral Contenders which worked great for me. I get sub 1/2 inch groups with them at 50 yards with my 452 Varmit with a Simmons 6x18. AT 98 cents what a deal!!!
Old 05-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Five
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My CZ loves Remington Thunderbolt. I couldn't be happier...great shooting, great training, and super cheap. Plus, lead is much easier to clean out of the bore.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:53 PM
bastogne71
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dynapoint

Big Mike is right (as usual). Dynapoints are the most accurate for the money. I've found that to be true for several of my .22's so if they are available in your Walmart, give them a try.

In my CZ-452 Varmint, Wolf ME will cut my group sizes in half but at four times the price!
Old 05-28-2005, 11:17 PM
bbycrts

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
K-Mart has Dynapoints, too!

We don't have a Wal*Mart nearby (they're trying...I imagine we'll all be assimilated soon!), but have several K-Marts. They also carry the 500 round cartons of Dynapoints. My American was very happy with them today!
Old 05-29-2005, 10:41 AM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation K-Mart has Dynapoints

bbycrts,

Quote:
K-Mart has Dynapoints
K-Mart was the original supplier for Dynapoints, as they had the exclusive contract with Winchester for them......! !

Wal*Mart came along much later, after the K-Mart bankruptsy, and started carrying them........

`

BigMike
Old 05-29-2005, 10:50 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
RonM, you should try the Winchester Dynapoints and the Federal bulk stuff from Wallyworld before you go too much further. If you are not satisfied there, get a couple boxes of Wolf Match Target from you local sporting goods, costs more but you might find it shoots better. If you are still not happy, you can spend the rest of this year and most of the next experimenting with other brands of ammo looking for the grail. All a part of the fun and games associated with rimfires. Keep us posted.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:38 PM
RonM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Federal

Well on Saturday I picked up my 452 Special at Gander Mountain in Dickson City, PA. $229, can't complain about that! Next stop was the Walmart down the road. The only bulk ammo they seemed to have was a box of 550 from Federal. Packed loose, copper coated, less than $6. I can't by airgun pellets that cheap.

On Sunday I went to the range late and spent most of the time on my new Browning Buck Mark. Love it. Only got to put about 50 or so rounds thru the 452. Was shooting 50yds at 7" Shoot-n-See targets, from the bench off my elbows. People were commenting that my groups were good because most were on the paper, so I just graciously accepted their praise but knew that I was rushing and hitting 7" targets should be no big deal even with iron sights.

I really enjoyed shooting the Special. It fits me well, despite my 6'2" frame. 10/22's just seemed too small for me. Since I was rushing and didn't have a spotting scope I didn't take time to analyze much. Just had fun.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:48 PM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
RonM:

Fun is what it is ( or, IMHO, should be ) all about. I concur with the majority here - use Dynapoints if you want a good, cheap starting round. They can be quite accurate in a lot of guns. When you get serious about accuracy, try a box of Wolf Match Target or Match Extra - they aren't the answer for everyone but they do well in a lot of guns. The poster who said "be prepared to spend some time" was right - rimfires are notoriously finicky about ammo and if you really want THE best for your gun you will have to try them all.

My way - start cheap, work up from cheapest to most expensive and STOP when you find accuracy that is acceptable. Then, NEVER buy a more expensive brand or variety of ammo. If you do, and you find that it shoots "...just a little better...", you will NEVER be able to go back to the cheap stuff.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:01 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Fed bulk in the 550 pack works well in all my stuff. Shot many thousands of them. Don't like the remington bulk Never saw the plated Winchesters at Wally World. Only some nasty lead (Wildcats???) with semi wadcutters that are Filthy and Nasty. Dirty hands and dirty guns....YECK. Would like to try those Dynapoints but have never found them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 06-01-2005, 10:31 AM
270 shooter
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking Wild about winchester Wildcats

My 452 shoots the Wildcats as well as it does Eley match ammo, and at a fraction the cost.

Last edited by 270 shooter; 06-01-2005 at 10:34 AM.