Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Lubec

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another what barrel is better qestion.

I have read a lot of posts and understand that many like the Green Mountin Barrels for the money. I guess thats what the GM stands for in a lot of posts.

What is the better (more accurate) GM barrel in Stainless?

Fluted or unfluted? I like the thought that fluting cools quicker.

I looked at about 3 different lenghts 16" and 18" seem good for a .22LR, is a 20" to long or does it shoot better (longer is not always better).

I thought I saw some strange twists (1-9 if I read Right) what is the better all round twist? is 1-9 for SSS 60gr ammo?

Please help as I want to get a "GM" barrel to use on a new bench gun, and want to get some one holers if I can Thanks.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:36 AM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow From A Previous Post

`

Quote:
For regular .22 LR ammunition, as you have noted, you want a 1:16" rate of twist...! !

The other twist rates are for 'speciality' applications:

1:20 Twist for .22 Shorts
1:18" twist for "Stingers"
1:16" twist for regular .22 LR's
1:9" twist for Aguila SSS 60 Gr.

`

BigMike

`

BigMike
Old 05-26-2005, 12:29 PM
gmcfixer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubec
Fluted or unfluted? I like the thought that fluting cools quicker..........

I looked at about 3 different lenghts 16" and 18" seem good for a .22LR, is a 20" to long or does it shoot better (longer is not always better).........

Please help as I want to get a "GM" barrel to use on a new bench gun, and want to get some one holers if I can Thanks.
Stainless verses Blue ..... no accuracy difference

Fluted verses standard bull barrels .......... in theroy the bull barrel is stiffer. As to cooling faster yes, but in benchrest the rate of fire is not even close to fast enough to where that would be a problem.

16" verses 18" or 20"s ........... I just prefer the balance of the 18" barrels, but a shorter barrel should produce less vibration than a longer barrel. But weight can be a factor on a benchrest gun, with more weight being a plus so the longer barrel would have the advantage in theroy. So whats the right answer ...... good question! For a bench only gun I would use a 20" bull barrel, thats my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Dave Z.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Lubec

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcfixer
Stainless verses Blue ..... no accuracy difference

Fluted verses standard bull barrels .......... in theroy the bull barrel is stiffer. As to cooling faster yes, but in benchrest the rate of fire is not even close to fast enough to where that would be a problem.

16" verses 18" or 20"s ........... I just prefer the balance of the 18" barrels, but a shorter barrel should produce less vibration than a longer barrel. But weight can be a factor on a benchrest gun, with more weight being a plus so the longer barrel would have the advantage in theroy. So whats the right answer ...... good question! For a bench only gun I would use a 20" bull barrel, thats my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Dave Z.
To me blued barrels are more maint (I have to many guns to clean as now, and have a few blued barrels that the blue has rusted off and had to be retreated/blued, I still like blued but not for a range gun).

The fluted part I do wounder about. I have many guns and the fluted ones are reported to be just as strong. Some are bulled and fluted heavy AR's and some Remington 700's. The main issue that was addressed about fluting is that when shooting one shot bench shots the temp of the barrel is an issue as the point of impact will change, this is true for hi velocity full size rounds (I dont know if its true for .22's as much). The fluting can cool the barrel down quicker for the next shot to be close to the first (it take a while to get the temp of the barrel back down). In rapid fire it can help too from peak temps.

So is it believed or known for .22lr to have barrel whip, or just vibration. The 16" to 18" I feel is best for the rounds, as my longer than 20" barrels can make rounds very sub sonic (which is good and bad for accuracy/range).

Does anyone make a 1 in 14" twist barrel? would this work better for heavyer rounds? (I might have a 1 in 14 twist).

I am now leaning to a GM stainless fluted 18" in 1 in 16 twist.