Anyone done this? Drill the reciver for cleaning? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Lubec

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone done this? Drill the reciver for cleaning?

I do not know if this has been posted, but as I am new and have not read about it, I have drilled a hole in the back of a few of my 10/22 reciver's, in line with the barrel.

The stock covers this, and a one pice cleaning rod can be used from the chamber side to clean in the direction the bullet goes.

I use a bore snake most of the time at the range, but when I do the spotless cleaning and remove the stock its easy to patch and clean the barrel in what I have been taught is the only direction one should clean a barrel.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:31 AM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face Cleaning Hole

Lubec,

Yes, it has been Posted many times.......

However, to "use" that cleaning hole, one must:
1. Remove the barreled action from the stock.
2. Remove the Trigger Housing Assembly.
3. Remove the Bolt Assembly.

Then, and only then, may one clean from the breech..........

Then, everything must be reassembled..............

Whatever floats your boat..........

`

BigMike
Old 05-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Lubec

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used a knob type take down screw (like the new harris bi-pods have). I can take down my gun as quick as any, and my pins all fall out when tiped side ways too.

Disasembly is not a big deal to me.

I feel it saves the camber/barrel a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Orgnoi1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was actually thinking about doing this too... when I clean I ALWAYS disassemble the rifle... call it the former military in me...
Old 05-26-2005, 02:37 PM
dbuckbee
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've drilled my 10-22 receivers to use a cleaning rod from the rear of the receiver. It suits my cleaning regimen. I take my 10-22s down anyway to clean the crud from inside the receiver, so I clean the barrel at the same time.
Don
Old 05-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Rimfire Addict
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My Way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubec
I do not know if this has been posted, but as I am new and have not read about it, I have drilled a hole in the back of a few of my 10/22 reciver's, in line with the barrel.

The stock covers this, and a one pice cleaning rod can be used from the chamber side to clean in the direction the bullet goes.

I use a bore snake most of the time at the range, but when I do the spotless cleaning and remove the stock its easy to patch and clean the barrel in what I have been taught is the only direction one should clean a barrel.
I usually use a bore snake, unless I slack off this keeps it very clean and no problems. If I get the urge to scrub the whole gun I take it apart anyway to get to the action. While I am that far I just take the 2 screws out that hold the barrel to the receiver and clean to my hearts content. To me it just makes sense and I don't have to worry about a hole in my receiver that may or may not be perfectly lined up with my barrel. It only takes a couple of minutes to remove and replace the barrel. To each his own though, that's what makes the world go round, this is just my opinion.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:06 PM
xenophobe

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Bore Snake. Best invention ever.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:34 AM
wmrimfire,22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Lubec,

I've seen and read all about this and it appears to be a worth while project as I like to clean my barrels with solvent andpatches like the old timer that I am. However, I admit to never drilling mine to do this. This could also open the door to the big controversy over how much to clean ones barrel if any. Many shooters at my range sware to never clean OR find the need to do it.

wmrimfire,22
Old 05-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Lubec

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire Addict
If I get the urge to scrub the whole gun I take it apart anyway to get to the action. While I am that far I just take the 2 screws out that hold the barrel to the receiver and clean to my hearts content. To me it just makes sense and I don't have to worry about a hole in my receiver that may or may not be perfectly lined up with my barrel. It only takes a couple of minutes to remove and replace the barrel. To each his own though, that's what makes the world go round, this is just my opinion.
I dont like to remove the barrel as it can effect the zero when you place it back in and retighten the bolts and v-block.

I dont want to effect my zero.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Lubec

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrimfire,22
Lubec,

I've seen and read all about this and it appears to be a worth while project as I like to clean my barrels with solvent andpatches like the old timer that I am. However, I admit to never drilling mine to do this. This could also open the door to the big controversy over how much to clean ones barrel if any. Many shooters at my range sware to never clean OR find the need to do it.

wmrimfire,22
So some people dont clean there .22's? The lead and copper can bulid up in the barrel. I dont see this helping in anyway, but could see problems down the road.

A fresh cleaned barrel will shoot about the same each time, a dirty barrel will not shoot the same as deposits fill the barrel.

My weapons get dirty in the barrel and action. I do a light cleaning after each range and a full cleaning/inspection after several 100-1000 rounds.

I am new here but people realy dont clean there .22's (I bet I could get some good deals on a .22 that does not shoot right ...........and needs to be cleaned).
Old 05-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Lubec

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The hole does not need to be exact in line with the barrel.

The first one I did it was exact and the right size (it a PITA to use with out hitting the reciver with a cleaning rod).

I learned that its best to over size the hole (2 times the size or more) to allow the rod to have easy access (like a needel and thread a big hole is good) and if its off you have room to play. The hole is compleatly covered by the stock so no dirt will get in (you could make a plug too).
Old 05-28-2005, 10:39 PM
MPH
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tap the hole and install a allen head plug. Did that to mine with stainless steel plugs. Need to do it if you have a barracuda stock as the back of receiver is visiable.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:39 AM
Rimfire Addict
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
I dont like to remove the barrel as it can effect the zero when you place it back in and retighten the bolts and v-block.

I dont want to effect my zero.
Never has affected my "zero" but now that you mention it wouldn't taking the action out of the stock to put a rod through the receiver have a tendancy to do the same thing if the torque were different each time on the takedown screw on reassembly?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Lubec

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire Addict
Never has affected my "zero" but now that you mention it wouldn't taking the action out of the stock to put a rod through the receiver have a tendancy to do the same thing if the torque were different each time on the takedown screw on reassembly?

The TQ on the take down and the TQ on the barrel make a big difference for me, as about all my barrels are free floated (I also have calibrated TQ devices I use for my sniper scopes/rifels).

I want to do a barrel mounted scope one day.