Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:44 AM
SimonFencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to SimonFencer
Stock Length of Pull

I have two questions about Length of Pull.

1. On a stock, how is it measured?

and

2. How do you determine a proper length of pull?

The reason I am asking, is I have put together a 10/22 for my wife. She finds the Tundra stock on my Marlin a little long. So, before I get another stock (right now the 10/22 is on it's factory carbine stock) I want to know how long the pull should be.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 05-25-2005, 09:51 AM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb L O P Measurements

SimonFencer,

How:

Measure from the center of the trigger [when cocked ] to the center of the butt plate / recoil pad.

Proper Length Of Pull [ LOP ]:

Usual method is to measure from the inside of the bent elbow, bent at 90, with the arm pointing up, to the 'pad' of the last segment of the trigger finger when it is bent inwards at the last joint.

Hope this helps........

`

BigMike

Last edited by BigMike; 05-25-2005 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added Clarification
Old 05-25-2005, 11:28 AM
SimonFencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike
SimonFencer,

How:

Measure from the center of the trigger [when cocked ] to the center of the butt plate / recoil pad.

Proper Length Of Pull [ LOP ]:

Usual method is to measure from the inside of the bent elbow, bent at 90, with the arm pointing up, to the 'pad' of the last segment of the trigger finger when it is bent inwards at the last joint.

Hope this helps........

`

BigMike
So, not from shoulder to finger? Just want to make sure I am reading it right.

Thanks

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2005, 11:33 AM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow Not from Shoulder

`

....measure from the inside of the bent elbow, bent at 90, with the arm pointing up, to the 'pad' of the last segment of the trigger finger when it is bent inwards at the last joint.

`

BigMike
Old 05-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Wolf
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No, not from shoulder to finger. The most reliable measurements seem to come from the technique exactly as BigMike has described.

I usually have to have a couple of inches taken off most factory stocks, and when I am getting a custom stock made, I order it with a 12 inch LOP. I'm just mentioning that so you are not surprised if there is a large difference between the factory length and what is comfortable.

Godspeed JL

Hurray For Indy
Old 05-25-2005, 11:53 AM
SimonFencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Guys. Your explanations definitely clear up the issue for me.

Paul
Old 05-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If you order a stock with a specific LOP, be sure to specify with/without pad thickness
Old 05-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I find that most factory LOP are too long unless you are near six feet tall. My Dad left me a shotgun that just did fit. While living in NorCal I worked with an Italian machinist that was a many time stock gun chanpion in both trap and skeet. He fitted guns for many of the top shoots and offer to fit mine. Not only for LOP as well as butt pad angle on two planes and what he could do with cast off. It was AMAZING!! He measured my in a number of ways and took the shotgun home. When he returned it he told me"Close your eyes and bring the gun to point" I did this. "Open you eyes" Like I said AMAZING!! the bead was right in front of my right eye. I tried it again and again. All this for a lowly but cherished Win 1200. Charged me $20 (the cost of the pad, pretty much.

If you ever have a chance to have a gun custom fitted to YOU jump on it. You will not be sorry and it is such a wonderful feeling to shoot a gun that really fits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 05-25-2005, 03:46 PM
93R17-bvss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I knew it!!! I just knew something was goofy with my new Richard's stock. When I got first got it, it felt uncomfortable but I attributed it to the cheekpiece and the shear bulkiness if the stock and it was something I had to get used to. Using the method mentioned above I find the pull is 1" too long for me. You would think that Richard's would have a prominant place on their web site on how to measure your proper pull and have an option to cut it down if needed. They were only interested in if I wanted the cooling slots in the forearm or not. I found that the new stock has the same pull as the factory stock and but Richard's just added on the 1/2" Browning butt plate I wanted. I'm disappointed in Richard's now. At least they should have shortened the stock the thickness of the pad instead of just adding it on so the end result of the stock is the same as factory stock. I figured the new stock was an inch too long and by using the method above I was right right. Small wonder why the gun is so uncomfortable especially with a jacket on.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Good Point

You have brought up a very good point. If you order a stock for a rifle that is going to be used mostly in cold weather (your elk blaster for instance) you should order a shorter LOP to compensate. Often you might have 2" of jacket, vest, shirt and under wear in a cold weather ensemble and if you measured length of pull with your tee shirt on it is gonna be too long. For me 12 1/2" is about right and most center fire guns are about 13 1/2".

This is also why it is so important to get a stock that fits for the kids. If the standard LOP is too long for most adults how do the little guys and girls feel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 05-25-2005, 06:46 PM
newmoss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just learned something else new here in RFC. How to measure LOP.

Now I know why my wife loves my Henry H001 and why as soon as I bought it, started shooting it better than me. Per BigMike's instructions she has a LOP of 14 1/4" and the Henry is right at 14 1/4".
Old 05-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
See my post above. I specified the LOP for my richards. They cut it right on what I asked THEN added a thick recoil pad. Never did like the fit of that stock and sold it off
Old 05-25-2005, 07:57 PM
SimonFencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So here is another question...

How do you measure the guns length of pull? (as opposed to the length of pull dictated by your arm).

The only way I can think of is to use a framing square and line up the butt and the trigger on the square to the same measurement, that would ensure 90 degrees at the "elbow" of the square.

Paul
Old 05-25-2005, 08:10 PM
GSonnen

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The length of pull is measured from the forward face of the trigger to the end of the butt plate or butt pad. It should be measured to the point halfway between the heel (top) and the toe (bottom) of the butt plate.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Fuzzy Limey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
True length of pull .... !

Hi All,

While the method quoted by Big Mike is that normally used for general purpose "sport" fitting, a more factual LOP will depend upon the shooting position in use and the clothing worn.

Thus for a competition multi-position shooter, his/her rifle will probably be fitted with a buttplate having 6 or more degrees of freedom as to LOP, cast-off/on, cant, tilt, etc, etc. Triggers often have just as many positional variations. The optimum LOP - and "fit" of buttplate to shoulder - for a specific shooter will be quite different for each shooting postion, whether it be prone, sitting, kneeling or offhand ... overall variations of 1 to 2 inches are not uncommon.

Regards,
Bryan - The Fuzzy Limey