Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:47 PM
easyPZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
How to cut a replacement 39A bullseye.

I have the replacement bullseye but it's too long. What did you do to trim down the length and match the contour of the stock?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (130)
I cleaned the old glue out of the bottom of the hole, put it in, marked it a little long, then cut it with a single edge razor blade. It's very soft, and cuts easily. I taped around the hole, and used clear epoxy on it. After drying, I used the razor blade to trim it pretty close, avoiding the wood. Then, I wrapped some 400 wet/dry around a flat file, and used that to bring it down to the wood, took off the tape, and gave it a few more licks to get it contoured to the wood. I used Mothers to polish the bullseye and the wood finish around it, but any fine compound will fill the bill. Easy does it with the sandpaper, and you will not hurt the finish.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:58 PM
easyPZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
I cleaned the old glue out of the bottom of the hole, put it in, marked it a little long, then cut it with a single edge razor blade. It's very soft, and cuts easily. I taped around the hole, and used clear epoxy on it. After drying, I used the razor blade to trim it pretty close, avoiding the wood. Then, I wrapped some 400 wet/dry around a flat file, and used that to bring it down to the wood, took off the tape, and gave it a few more licks to get it contoured to the wood. I used Mothers to polish the bullseye and the wood finish around it, but any fine compound will fill the bill. Easy does it with the sandpaper, and you will not hurt the finish.
Thanks! Exactly what I needed. Very fast reponse too. RFC is the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 01:58 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
I always just cut them about 1/8" long. I then use a dremel tool to score lines and grooves in the outside of the bullseye, but staying away from the end. This help the glue to stick to it. I also use a nail or similar to score the inside of the hole in the stock. I use any epoxy to glue it in wiping off any excess epoxy immediately. I then use a couple layers of masking tape on the stock, then work on it with a flat file. Thats it. I will use some steel wool at the end to get the file marks out, remove the tape, then rub just a tad bit of tru-oil on it. You will find a way that works for you, but for me, I stay away from the razor blades. I have yet to see one so soft a blade would cut it. All those I have replaced were hard plastic. Maybe depends on how new or old they are. The key is to go slow, and protect the stock from scratches. If you do happen to nick it a tad, the tru-oil you will be using to coat the bullseye will fill in the scratch as well.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 PM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I also cut mine to a desirable workable length. I then taped around the stock and used a file to smooth it even with the stock. I then used 2000 grit auto sand paper and Feed-N-Wax to finish it up with.
Good Luck
Old 04-29-2015, 12:48 PM
easyPZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
All great tips. Thank you guys. I will do it tonight.