Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:03 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tale's of the Turkey Buzzard!

So yesterday evening I was out watering and I see this Turkey buzzard sitting on a railroad tie fence post about 40 yards away watching me with greedy eyes. I know they have been feasting on my squirrel kills quite regularly. Saw one yesterday with an oval shaped hole in it's side and a hollow chest cavity. Sometimes there is just the skull, spine, tail and feet left after they feast! So I know this big bird is up to something? What does it smell? What does it see? What am I missing here while it's watching me? So I went about my business here and there moving some sprinklers about. Then when I finished, I walked closer to that bird still watching me intently and after a few nervous extensions and half flaps of it's wings it leaped into the air and soared away. As I was looking around to figure out what it was eyeing for supper I saw it..... just over the canal......... A HUGE........... BLOATED...................RACOON! To that bird it must have been 30 or 40 pounds of irresistible decaying delicacy! I didn't shoot it, but I bet one of the distant neighbors dealt that big bandit a fatal blow not realizing it would run more than a 1/4 mile before collapsing... dead! And that bird... that bird with the incredible nose.... well it will be back when all is quiet. For the greedy eye of the buzzard is patient and cunning. And as they glide over the farms and fields, they are always watching... waiting... death comes reliably to all creatures big and small. And to the buzzard...... death is life!
Old 05-30-2020, 02:18 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the wind blowing towards your house?
Old 05-30-2020, 03:17 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
If it was wanting the bloated Racoon why was it eying you so intently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2020, 03:23 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
One year the neighbors and I had a real problem with digger squirrels. Many were tossed over the back fences. A couple of Buzzards started coming by and hanging around waiting for dinner every day for a few months. Fun to have around.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:10 PM
retiredsarge48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Fun to have around? Really? Got go be the ugliest bird in the world. By the way I always thought birds did not have a sense of smell.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:24 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1590884051

Never any around here 30-60 yrs ago. Then again never saw but one bald eagle in all my time in the woods from 1955-1975 or later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DA736D6E-5E2B-48B3-9541-946370425B33_1_201_a.jpeg (106.4 KB, 190 views)
Old 05-30-2020, 07:30 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Vultures are said to have very keen senses of smell. I see several dozen on my way to and from work andf I agree they are UGLY.

Mals
Old 05-30-2020, 08:31 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are driving down the road minding your own business and two or three buzzards fly from the ditch bank and go right over your windshield, do not, I repeat do not blow your horn at them. Apparently it scares them and they puke or something and it is a large amount of the the most disgusting biohazard type of something that I have ever encountered. Ask me how I know!
Old 05-30-2020, 08:48 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am old and walk a lot. If I stop the buzzards start circling.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:06 PM
Wayne Sihler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Its not the movement, its the smell that attracts them.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:08 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sihler View Post
Old 05-30-2020, 11:47 PM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I see them circling around here on a regular basis. I once saw about 20 of them on a billboard while I was going to work. Made me wonder what they knew that I didn't.

Hector
Old 05-31-2020, 08:07 AM
dotchief
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
There's

a huge, dead sycamore tree in a cove on a lake that my brother and I fish. The buzzards roost there every evening. We've counted as many as 32 one time.

They crap into the water which prompts the red ear and huge bluegills to converge on this spot. When the lake levels are low, you can see the backs of the fish in the shallows. We take our flyrods and lay the flies into the shallows and just hammer them 'gills.

When you see that many buzzards up close you get an idea of just how big they are. When they leave the roost, it's like a shadow over the water. And, for the record, buzzards have an extraordinary sense of smell.

Pat G
Old 05-31-2020, 08:19 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotchief View Post
a huge, dead sycamore tree in a cove on a lake that my brother and I fish. The buzzards roost there every evening. We've counted as many as 32 one time.

Pat G
Positive they're buzzards and not cormorants? Cormorant herds kill roosting trees with their toxic poop in these parts.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:38 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Turkey VULTURES (aka wrongly as buzzards ) are pretty interesting critters and perform a valuable function out there in Greta's World. Also, they are great parents and the bird equivalent of STOL airplane. They have excellent visual acuity and as suggested a good sense of smell that was only relatively recently identified. As one might expect, they have very strong stomach acids.
I don't find them much uglier than a wild turkey, and guys go gaga for them, wanting to have their pictures taken with them all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sihler View Post
I can only advise that you keep moving and keep your mouth and sphincter closed.