A little compassion. - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:17 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Coyote season is now open year round here because they show no mercy on our whitetail fawns and young of the year deer while weakened from rough winters in the deer yards. YMMV
Old 05-26-2020, 04:09 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Al, I understand completely, and 'yote season is also open year-round here. We are fortunate that 'yotes pretty much avoid our region because of that. In 15+ years at our farm, I only came across one - checking out a burn pile that likely housed rabbits and ground-hogs. It departed when I - on my tractor mowing our main pasture - approached. That was almost 12 years ago.

I occasionally hear them in the distance howling, and I'm sure those distant 'yotes are rough on our deer population off in the distance: not much I can do about that - but on our farm, they are not a problem. If they become so, I have means to "discourage" them... My Great Dane Fi was a good deterrent when she was with us...
Old 05-26-2020, 05:26 PM
retiredsarge48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Agree with Vee. I have nothing against hunting for food and if need be would hunt again myselt. As I grew older and more respectful of life I just could not hunt just for the fun of killing and believe me I did more than my share in my younger days.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:42 PM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredsarge48 View Post
Agree with Vee. I have nothing against hunting for food and if need be would hunt again myselt. As I grew older and more respectful of life I just could not hunt just for the fun of killing and believe me I did more than my share in my younger days.
Thank-you. Could not have said it any better. Describes me, perfectly.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:01 PM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To anyone who lets a coyote live, have you ever heard a deer bawling while the coyotes eat it alive? I have. If It weren't in the middle of a thicket and pouring down rain, I would have tried to rescue it.

Another time I did scare off coyotes from a deer that they had down in a pasture that adjoins my property. The deer got up and ran away after the coyotes left. This was late at night and raining.

Coyotes are well known for killing small dogs and cats.

I respect others feelings about letting animals live, but I will kill any coyote I can regardless of age or sex.

The squirrels are very numerous around my house at times, and even though I don't enjoy killing them, I feel that it's necessary. Same thing for raccoons.

Had an invasion of flying squirrels in the attic one time, and it really stressed me to have to get rid of them. Still bothers me.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, coyotes can be a big problem. They walk down the street in front of my Sister's
house in Monrovia CA like they own the place. At least there are no feral cats hanging around.

This is my buddy at a local chicken farm. He shot too late to save the rabbit. I think that's what happened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coyote at chicken farm unskinned.jpg (83.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-27-2020, 08:22 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And with an air rifle!
Old 05-27-2020, 08:27 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post

Had an invasion of flying squirrels in the attic one time, and it really stressed me to have to get rid of them. Still bothers me.
They are kinda cute with those big eyes. I've read they make frisky pets when taken from the nest early.
The downside to all tree rats is they will gnaw on wires on occasion thus get the blame for some attic house fires.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:13 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
There are some things I donít have that compassion for and yotes are one of them. Wild pigs are one of the few things I dislike more.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:48 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it had been a wild pig it would have found it's way into the freezer. They are non native habitat destroyers but the coyotes help keep the balance. No deer in my area but they do take other peoples sheep and goats from time to time. Dad had them trapped in the 70s because there was a pack on our place killing newborn calves. That was back in the day when leg traps were still legal here. I've come to appreciate coyotes when cutting a field and watching them come out and start pouncing on the field mice, their primary food.

If you never read about the rats and mongoose in Hawaii it's an interesting case study where humans think they can solve a problem by creating another problem.......

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/removerats/h...ents-mongooses
Old 05-28-2020, 07:33 AM
john the plinker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lots of folks here talking about giving up hunting and I've done the same thing. Now days I prefer to just sit and watch the wildlife from my recliner. I can see out the window into the backyard, and so far this morning we've had deer, turkeys, squirrels, raccoons, along with several species of birds.
But there is one exception. Coyotes I terminate with extreme prejudice and still actively hunt when time and weather cooperate. I rate them in same category as ticks, fleas, roaches, and skeeters. And from a strictly technical standpoint, in this part of the country they are an invasive species.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:15 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john the plinker View Post
But there is one exception. Coyotes I terminate with extreme prejudice and still actively hunt
Ditto I with the gray and red/pine squirrels that cut my green Honey Crisp and Macintosh apples down, and then leave em, and in the winter flip the sunflower seeds out of the feeders into the snow where they get covered up unavailable to the winter stressed tweetys. 50-80 of the buggers are terminated every winter.

Al the part time tree hugger

Did I write that?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:05 AM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
r.

Al the part time tree hugger

Did I write that?
I looked it up: Bracing against a tree for a more stable shot qualifies as a "hug".
Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On this line can you be a tree hugger and live in a wooden House? I'm just asking.

I kind of think coyotes should be the opposite of children you know heard but not seen. My motto for coyotes is shoot on sight day or night.

John
Old 05-28-2020, 10:36 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNH View Post
I looked it up: Bracing against a tree for a more stable shot qualifies as a "hug".