Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:06 PM
sbsyncro
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Better rear sight for Model 81

As posted in another thread, I acquired a nifty little Model 81 and was surprised at how nicely it shoots. Nicely enough that I want to re-blue it and refinish the stock. I also don't like the original rear "v-notch" type sight (eyes don't work so well with irons any more...).

I'm wondering if anyone has refitted their model 81 with something like a Marbles semi-buckhorn (or full buckhorn) sight?

Looking at the measurements, it appears that this one would work
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...1-105989-21634

According to Marble's spec sheet, the long-shank rear site has a height of .300" to .510" (and my measurements of the existing rear sight indicate its range to be .300" to .435")

The main difference i see is that the original sight uses a set screw to hold it in place, whereas the Marbles sight lacks a set screw.

Any other suggestions?
Old 05-26-2020, 05:15 PM
wjritchie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For my old eyes it would have to be a peep. If you are going to refinish the stock taylor the area at the rear left of the receiver and put on say a Williams 5D-81 or similar . Just may work out better than the mid barrel sight . Good luck in your search . WR
Old 05-26-2020, 05:21 PM
johnrr65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjritchie View Post
For my old eyes it would have to be a peep. If you are going to refinish the stock taylor the area at the rear left of the receiver and put on say a Williams 5D-81 or similar . Just may work out better than the mid barrel sight . Good luck in your search . WR
+1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 05:23 PM
sbsyncro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjritchie View Post
That would be my preference, but will require a taller front sight. The problem is that Williams doesn't publish the specs for its height, so I don't have a way to plan the front sight height ahead of time... and I hate trial and error. I went through that with a Williams target sight on my muzzle loader and it was a a pain in the neck (and more expensive than it should have been).

Here's what the sights look like that are on there now:

The front site appears to be soldered in place.

Last edited by sbsyncro; 05-26-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:06 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Is the left side of the receiver drilled and tapped for a peep sight? Sometimes the holes are hidden beneath the wood.

Mals
Old 05-26-2020, 07:12 PM
sbsyncro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
Is the left side of the receiver drilled and tapped for a peep sight? Sometimes the holes are hidden beneath the wood.

Mals
Yes it is. I see one of the original peep sights on eBay for $50 and another for $125 (dream on) but reports on them isn't great and they look very bulky. It also raises the question of the need for a different front sight, since the factory peep is mounted way back on top of the receiver, and I assume is nearly 1/2" taller than the factory v-notch sight...
Old 05-27-2020, 02:21 PM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Williams 5D-81, and I believe it worked fine with the original front sight. I have since installed a Lyman 17A-S front globe sight.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:37 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You would be surprised at how well the original sites work. The Williams is far better though.

Mals
Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 AM
SLee84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Both of mine have the original peep sight. The one came with it an the other didn't. Both have the original front sight an I didn't have no trouble sighting them in. Mine does have the ramp style front sight though. I like the original peeps. They don't have clicks like the Williams but once the screws are tightened they don't move at all. That buckhorn would probably work pretty well too. But for the extra sighting distance an accuracy from that I prefer the peep.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:57 AM
sbsyncro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLee84 View Post
Both of mine have the original peep sight. The one came with it an the other didn't. Both have the original front sight an I didn't have no trouble sighting them in. Mine does have the ramp style front sight though. I like the original peeps. They don't have clicks like the Williams but once the screws are tightened they don't move at all. That buckhorn would probably work pretty well too. But for the extra sighting distance an accuracy from that I prefer the peep.
Thanks. That ramped front sight is certainly taller than the one I have on there now. According to the gentleman I spoke with at Williams, the front sight needs a .450 height medium width bead to work with the 5D-81 rear.

I see on Numrich that the front ramp sights are listed but "out of stock"
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/403010A

Unfortunately I'm not finding another ramp that has a dovetail on the bottom that I could use. Perhaps I'll go with something like a Lyman globe front side (I've never used a front globe sight with a rear aperture, so I'm curious about that combo...)
Old 05-29-2020, 06:01 PM
SLee84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought maybe you'd wanna see what the original peep looked like on the rifle compared to a Williams. The Williams is on my .45-70 but it'll be the same size. The original is a tad longer where it mounts but I think the main sight part is more compact than the Williams.