Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:07 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

About the only reason dovetail rings won't stay put is if they are manufactured poorly, IMO... a buddy had a Kimber and a Win 52 Repro we couldn't seem to get the rings to stay put. After some carefull inspection, we could see the mating surface between the ring and the action surface had never been radiused, so the fingers would never completely engage the dovetails. And these were Leupold dovetail rings. After a couple calls to Leupold and a visit, they refused to fix the problem, even though these were the rings listed for these rifles.
I took them to my mill and took a few .001's off the mating surface and put some cold blue on and they fit fine now. We do notice all the new Leupold rimfire rings we have seen now have this radius on them...

Bob
Old 05-27-2020, 12:28 PM
tickridger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
once upon a time I did have a set creep on a semi-auto. But as I recall the problem was a faulty set of cheap rings. When replaced all was OK.

John
Old 05-27-2020, 01:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When possible I prefer dovetail rings as they give more adjustment fore and aft as a general rule.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:03 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen a set of aluminum tipoff rings creep all the way forward and past the dovetail with the forward ring on a Winchester 190 semi auto. No issues with steel tipoffs.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:35 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
I am 59 years old, and if its got a grooved receiver, I use it. No sense adding extra screws that can come loose when you don't need to. No matter the gun, I have never had rings move on me. Then again, there were guns in the house before I was born, so I have been messing with them all my life.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:11 PM
hytekrednek

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
I had issues with a Marlin stainless papoose. The scope slipped back no matter what I did or rings used. I just use irons on it now. I will screw a weaver base to it if I decide to scope it again. Groove out of spec most likely
Old 05-28-2020, 06:42 PM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelBlaster View Post
Only gun I have ever had dovetail rings move on is a Marlin model 60, I replaced the rings with a RWS mount that has 3 screws and uses almost the whole dovetail. No problems since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hytekrednek View Post
I had issues with a Marlin stainless papoose. The scope slipped back no matter what I did or rings used. I just use irons on it now. I will screw a weaver base to it if I decide to scope it again. Groove out of spec most likely
Same here on a Marlin 60.
I ended up with a DIP picatinny rail that I liked.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:06 PM
john the plinker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGuy50 View Post
Yes, I bought a used Marlin 60 that had an undersized dovetail. Tried many sets of rings, the front would hold but not the rear. Ended up mail ordering a set of rings that cost as much as the rifle and they held.

If they hold at first, they have held always. Not all have held when first installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelBlaster View Post
Only gun I have ever had dovetail rings move on is a Marlin model 60, I replaced the rings with a RWS mount that has 3 screws and uses almost the whole dovetail. No problems since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Clark View Post
Same here on a Marlin 60.
I ended up with a DIP picatinny rail that I liked.
I also had problems with a Marlin 60. Tried a few different brands of rings, all had problems. Measured the grooves and they were way undersized. It was enough that since then I use other mounting methods if available. Never had a scope move otherwise, provided I tightened the rings properly.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:01 AM
bandit1250
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bought this Savage 24 back in the mid '70's. Put a Weaver steel tube 4X scope on it with Weaver tip off rings. Every body said the scope would fly off firing the shot gun barrel. I would hate to guess how many 20 gauge 2 3/4" plus 3" magnum loads has been fired since new in that Savage combination gun and the scope has never moved in the dovetails or the rings and never been off the gun since mounted. It would take a poorly made set of rings to move on a rim fire rifle. I don't really like the old Weaver tip off rings but they were about the most popular at the time so that is what went on it and remain there today. I was a none believer at first that they would hold with the shot gun recoil.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:17 PM
jrothWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have Markin M100 from Christmas of 1966, complete with Marlin Micro-Vue 4x and rings.

Still in use and using loctite on the screws , as I started to stripp them. [Didn't know when to stop tighten, back then]

Now have a 1957 M57 Lever-matic, that will Mount a Weaver 1"Kpower scope using the weave tip=offs for it.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:51 AM
Bottom Gun

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I think the issue could be the receiver grooves rather than the rings. I have had scopes shift due to poorly machined grooves in the receiver.
In my experience, Remington is particularly bad about this. Iíve had a number of the nylon rifles such as Nylon 66, Nylon 77, Nylon 12, etc and each has experienced scope shift due to poorly machined receiver grooves. I also had this issue with the Remington 552 I once owned.

In contrast, the grooves on my Anschutz sporters are properly machined and I have NEVER had to correct the zero on any of them in decades. Iím using Millet and BKL rings.
I used a set of BKL double rings on one of my 1416s that spends a lot of time on the front rack of my ATV and, despite the years of vibration and bouncing, has never shifted.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:47 PM
arow56

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the problem because don't use loctite. Solution was to peen dovetail to make a stop. When I remove scope and put back on but it up against peen and has retained zero.