Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:16 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Need Unertl scope help/informatin

You guys who use or are familiar with the Unertl scopes...I have a problem. I have a 52B and 52E both of which currently have 2" Unertl 15X Ultravarmints mounted on them. I recently took a close look at both and noticed that the adjustments are almost bottomed out on on both....as in both windage and elevation adjustments are backed out to the point that there is little adjustment.....I shoot at fifty off the bench, and doubt there would be enough adjustment to shoot at 100 or beyond.

I took a look at my Unertl base chart and found that these guns need to run the B base on the front with a height of about .230" and the L base on the rear with a height of .170". It seems obvious to me that I need either a taller base the rear or shorter on the front? I understand that the barre taper is involved but I have the correct bases and they are not satisfactory.

What am I doing wrong....any suggestions? My 52 with a 20 Target Unertl has the same height of bases, and it is perfect with plenty of adjustment left for longer ranges. Additionally, I am concerned that with the other two guns, the adjustment range is so far out that the spring tension is relatively loose......

Any help appreciated,

James
Old 05-22-2020, 09:37 AM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If no taper on barrel just go with equal height bases. Just make sure and measure your center to center hole spacings for both bases. You can measure barrel at base hole drilling’s as well to figure out the taper deducting the difference in rear base if needed.
Great scope btw as I have the same 15x Ultra Varmint.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:59 PM
Kurt701
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ultra varmints

Frequently with the Ultravarmint scope due to the increased diameter of the tube the range of adjustment is limited. You should be able to adjust from 50 to 100yds. Average adjustment for elevation from 50yds to 100yds in 24 -28 clicks with 1/4 min spacing. You may be required to change bases to reach an adjustment range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 01:37 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8LON View Post
If no taper on barrel just go with equal height bases. Just make sure and measure your center to center hole spacings for both bases. You can measure barrel at base hole drilling’s as well to figure out the taper deducting the difference in rear base if needed.
Great scope btw as I have the same 15x Ultra Varmint.
You want the centerline of the scope to be 0.030" closer to the centerline of the bore at the front. From the '71 Redfield catalog:

Old 05-22-2020, 02:15 PM
Kurt701
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smallbore

As an experienced smallbore prone shooter ( Note: I am only an Expert), I shot a Unertl Target 1 1/4" 12X. In the normal NRA prone course, we shoot 50 yds to 100yds. Once a year we shot a 200yd match, and I was at maximum elevation to reach 200 yds. My point of aim may have been at 12 o'clock on the ten ring.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:30 PM
M52E1
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have shot Unert, Lyman and Fecker scopes (Posa and Non-Posa mounts) for years and I believe the situation you describe would have to be related to the front and rear bases that you are using. I say that as I have used all of these scopes on both custom prone rifles with aftermarket barrels as well as factory barrels without any issue. On my factory barrels I typically run .175 scope bases (front and rear) and on my custom rifles I typically use .225 or higher so that I have sufficient elevation as a result of the rollover cheekpiece (52E International Prone Stock Pattern).

I would check to see that the bases are perpendicular in terms of height and width and the only other question is are you using Redfield 3200 bases? With my arrangements I can take a scope off one rifle and quickly re-adjust it to work on another rifle if I desire.

Hard to diagnose with seeing in person, however my inclination would be to purchase new or quality used bases for your scope.

One other question, are you using the rear scope block on the barrel for the 52E or are you using a mount on the front of the receiver? I ask as the 52E is drilled and tapped in this manner, and I have 52B & 52C receivers which are also drilled and tapped in the same manner. I have never used the front receiver to mount a long scope as I have always found the barrel mounts to be sufficient (windage and elevation).

Bill
Old 05-22-2020, 04:40 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With .175 bases on my Martini Mk V I had very close proximity with the Unertl Ultra Varmint mounted. Less than .100 with fifty yard zero. Just the other night moved rear base to receiver for 1/8 minute click distance and put a .275 base on front. I surely would have been hitting at longer distance on front bell. I think you will find with the Ultra Varmint you will need tall bases to reach out to 200yard.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:18 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The blocks on my E measure about .176" on the rear and about .238" on the front.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:34 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M52E1 View Post
I have shot Unert, Lyman and Fecker scopes (Posa and Non-Posa mounts) for years and I believe the situation you describe would have to be related to the front and rear bases that you are using. I say that as I have used all of these scopes on both custom prone rifles with aftermarket barrels as well as factory barrels without any issue. On my factory barrels I typically run .175 scope bases (front and rear) and on my custom rifles I typically use .225 or higher so that I have sufficient elevation as a result of the rollover cheekpiece (52E International Prone Stock Pattern).

I would check to see that the bases are perpendicular in terms of height and width and the only other question is are you using Redfield 3200 bases? With my arrangements I can take a scope off one rifle and quickly re-adjust it to work on another rifle if I desire.

Hard to diagnose with seeing in person, however my inclination would be to purchase new or quality used bases for your scope.

One other question, are you using the rear scope block on the barrel for the 52E or are you using a mount on the front of the receiver? I ask as the 52E is drilled and tapped in this manner, and I have 52B & 52C receivers which are also drilled and tapped in the same manner. I have never used the front receiver to mount a long scope as I have always found the barrel mounts to be sufficient (windage and elevation).

Bill
Bill, First of all, I got my gun models mixed up.....it's the 52B and the 52E that I'm having issues with....the D is fine. The bases on the two guns in question (52B and 52E) both came as I purchased them with the same bases on them....a front base with a thickness of .230" and a rear base of .170". Since the correct bases for Unertl scopes on the these guns is a the front B with a thickness of .170" and the rear L with a thickness of .230...and these thicknesses are about the same as the ones on my two guns, I assumed I had the correct bases. But after thinking it over some more, I realized my two bases were reversed in thickness on both guns - with the thick one on front and the thin one on the rear......so I guess I have the wrong bases. Enough to frazzle the brain...

Anyway, I dug around and found a front base of about .150 - .160" and mounted that on the 52E.....that took care of the problem for that gun. Now I need to locate another base for the other gun.

The 52D has bases that appear to be approximately equal in thickness and works perfectly for me with it's 2" 20X target scope.

Thanks all for the input....now to locate some bases.

James
Old 05-22-2020, 08:30 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8LON View Post
With .175 bases on my Martini Mk V I had very close proximity with the Unertl Ultra Varmint mounted. Less than .100 with fifty yard zero. Just the other night moved rear base to receiver for 1/8 minute click distance and put a .275 base on front. I surely would have been hitting at longer distance on front bell. I think you will find with the Ultra Varmint you will need tall bases to reach out to 200yard.
You may be correct. Putting the shorter base on the front has the scope bell sitting pretty close to the barrel. I like my scopes low though, and I doubt I'll be shooting any beyond 100 yds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
The blocks on my E measure about .176" on the rear and about .238" on the front.
Same circumstance I have/had on the two guns in question. With the front base that much taller than the rear, it means you have to increase the elevation adjustment for fifty yards to the point that the scope tube is not far from the top.....not much room left for adjusting for extended distances. At least that is what I saw. In addition, this puts less tension in the spring in the bottom of the Unertl mount, which I don't like.

James