Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:29 PM
Sam_Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Done with Marlin.

I have a marlin 25mn that shoots so horrible, no matter the ammo, no matter how tight the takedown screw is, no matter the rings/mounts/scope you put on it, it won't shoot!... I shot 8 rounds into a pie plate, 1 hit bullseye, 3 low and to the left off by 2 inches, and 3 hit - 1 at 2oclock, 2 at 4 oclock, and 1 missed the plate entirely.

Date of manufacture is 1995. I suggest if you buy a true marlin rimfire, get an older one say of 60-70-80 vintage.

THIS ONE IS TOTAL CRAP... I think im done with marlin and 22wmr's all together. If they let this one get out the door, then you never know what you may be getting. If marlin ended up making this kind of junk, its no wonder they sold out.

My guess is quality took a dive around the time this gun was made, and rather than spend millions on new machines,, they just sold out.

Making this kind of junk, only thing Remington wanted was the brand name.

Marlin used to stand for quality. and many of other older marlins I have owned were fine guns, its sad this one is a pos.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:34 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Sam sir to start with something is really wrong...I read what you said about the ammo...can I ask how many brands did you try? I reason I am asking is because about 6 years ago I bought a Marlin XT 22TR and I had the same problem rounds all over the place...what I found was the 550 Round box of what I thought was good ammo had a handful of weak rounds and I could not get it to shoot I almost gave the rifle away...you see I shoot magnums like 90% and the 22lr was just to have a back up rifle. I tried everything different scope, mounts...took everything apart even the ring bases...and I still could not get that rifle to shoot. I even went out and bought a different rifle a 980V and man did that shoot.

It was not until 4 months later that I gave that marlin one last chance...that is when I found the ammo was the problem...but by that time I lost all faith and to this day I don't shoot it even though It shoots fine it's for my daughters now.

Have you looked at the crown...and have you cleaned this rifle. I am just trying to help. Your rifle should be making you super happy and not wanting to make you pull your hair out. I don't own a 25MN so does the rifle have scope bases or are you using the groove receiver ? if everything else looks good how is the scope rings to the bases or groove...I am thinking your scope is moving from loose bases or the rings are not holding the scope well enough. It is very hard to guess because I am not their to help...and see for myself. Does it have iron sights and how far away was the pie plate? I need to get some basic information so we can work this problem out.

Signalman

Edit: I read your other thread about the ammo you tried and working on the crown...so my thinking now is the scope/rings...bases if it has them. Have you tried a different scope by chance ? or maybe some leading in the barrel...before you wrap that rifle around a tree like I almost did with mine have someone look in the chamber/barrel for some problems...there has been threads lately about a cheap bore scope on Amazon.

Last edited by Signalman; 05-19-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:40 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Please help! Shotgun holds tighter pattern than my .22mag https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1193875
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 10:19 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Sam sir you only spent $100 on it and right now I would make a wall hanger out of it with a little twist:

You have spent way too much time on it in my eyes. Do what you think is best.

Just a suggestion.

Signalman
Old 05-20-2020, 12:51 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scope check, Ammo Check, Shooter Check. I would let a friend shoot the gun and see what happens. You may have a bad crown or something. The JM marlins of the late 90s shoot fine from the 3 examples I own once you do a little cleaning up. The recessed crowns were piss poor and not well finished! You may have a bad muzzle. My 882 ss once shortened and recrowned shot better but it was never an 8 inch at 50 gun.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:21 AM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WARNING! Cynicism ahead...

Well... Since Remington didn’t purchase Marlin till 2007, and your rifle is a 1995... Well, I’m bad at math, so it sounds like:

You don’t know how to mount a scope.
You don’t shoot good ammo.

Take your hit piece somewhere else. Or better yet go into some detail, we can help you (if you will let us) the rifle isn’t garbage it’s a tool and you’ve got to know how to use the tool.

How to fix your issue:

1. Clean it correctly.
2. Mount a good scope Using good rings.
3. Make sure you do steps 1 & 2
4. Buy some CCI 30 and 40 gr ammo.

Relax
Old 05-20-2020, 03:02 PM
Turbojet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't buy any more Marlins, that leaves more for me!
Old 05-20-2020, 04:04 PM
Sam_Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok... first off this isn't my first rimfire. I have owned them all my life. I have mounted all my scopes, cleaned all my guns, etc. etc.

I have never in my life encountered this horrible of accuracy even when using a round that I know my gun hates.

15 yards, gun in a very secure vise, 3inch pattern.

Over $200 got me every different kind of ammo available locally. CCI 30 and 40gr's...Winchester super x 40gr and 45gr dyanapoints. Friend had some Remington's (forgot the gr.) basically only thing I haven't tried are some strange rounds like I found some 50gr rounds and some pointed ballistic tips. I'm sure I haven't tried all brands/types but I have gone through over 10 different types so far.

The irons were removed to mount med rings and a Nikon 4x12x40.

This rifle shot this way with the "stock" bushnell 3x9x32 sportview which is why I got the Nikon as I just knew it was the scope.

The crown don't look too bad after having a gunsmith recrown it, didn't change my accuracy any though... so I decided to polish up his tool marks with a little lapping compound.. which still didn't change anything.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:10 PM
Sam_Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
what is so frustrating, is with all my other rifles, I could find a round after no more than 4 different types of ammo. I am very easy to please. 1in group at 40 yards I consider enough for squirrels as I seldom shoot longer but who don't want better accuracy? right.

Right now at 40yrds...20 round test, 8 inch spread with a vise.

Not much change no matter the ammo. All rounds give me 8 inches/20 round test.

Vise takes care of shooter error, Vise takes care of scope/rings/mount problems. I have adjust the takedown screw from loose as a goose, to as tight as I can get it.

Loose screw - many rounds miss target all together
Groups get tighter the tighter the screw.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:14 PM
Dunlap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It’s seems like the rifle likes pressure so you might try a pressure pad in front of the action? I’m new to this accuracy game but it would be worth a shot or five?
Old 05-20-2020, 04:18 PM
Sam_Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OH by the way... I bought a truck for $200, fixed it then sold it.

Asking price was $600.

Buyer told me he had a marlin 22MN and $400.

Gun looked new so I went for it.

He asked what I would take for the rifle now that it was mine, I told him $200 of course.

I really don't have anything in this gun, but I can buy them locally for around $100 without a scope even at a pawn shop.

Here is my take: A gun that isn't accurate don't get used much. It pretty much stays in a safe and stays looking new for the most part.

A gun that shoots really well, gets used a lot. It gets dropped, dinged, sometimes left in the truck for a week to rust. etc.

An old gun that looks new probably don't shoot well.... and a new gun that looks like it has been through a war probably is a very good shooter.

This gun is 25 yrs old and looks brand new. I would have rated it in near mint condition. He gave me a box of ammo that had only 4 rounds missing.

I'm almost willing to bet that those 4 rounds were the only rounds put through this rifle.

I initially thought it may need broken in.

So far = way over 500 rounds through it. Its has to broken in by now if it was indeed an unused gun.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:21 PM
Sam_Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I may try to add some pressure somewhere along the barrel and see if my groups get tighter... good idea!

Really about to trade if off, because I have never had to "work" on any other marlin that I have owned.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:11 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
If all is tight and correct, I would have a smith look at the crown, and maybe put a scope in the barrel to see if you have any leading or pits, etc.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:44 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Please try a pressure pad under the barrel 2" back from the tip of the forearm and at the front of the action and let us know the results. This will result in 2 points of contact for the action and barrel. From your description here and the previous thread I suspect you have an issue with the stock to action contact. This will not cost anything except the rounds you shoot.
Good luck
Mals
Old 05-20-2020, 09:09 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Good advice Mals

pipestone