What can I reasonably expect? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:50 AM
Mike40X
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What can I reasonably expect?

Hey everyone. Recently joined up and wanted to reach out to the community to ask what I should reasonably expect for accuracy out of my Remington 40X single shot heavy barrel. This model has the the two adjustment screws under the front of the stock that can touch the barrel. I'm currently getting a best of 1.75" at 100 yards using the new lot of CCI SV. I'll say up front that I haven't tried any different ammo yet, but I do plan on doing so as I have some RWS Rifle target, some Federal Auto Match, and some Federal Target Match. My question is this, what can I expect for group size out of this rifle. Any advice regarding the 2 adjustments screws aside from trial and error? Do you have better luck with the screws touching the barrel or not touching? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I tried to add pictures, but apparently I haven't made enough posts?

Last edited by Mike40X; 05-07-2020 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 05-07-2020, 11:50 AM
bandit1250
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I leave mine backed off to not touch the barrel. Mine is center fire not rim fire. My friend has a Winchester 52 that won't shoot very well with the adjusters touching the barrel. Probably try it both ways and see what happens to accuracy. Never know until you try it. It will more than likely change again with different ammo.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You have a rifle Capable of under one inch at 100 yards.
Testing ammunition and finding what it likes is the challenge.
Start with a particular brand and test the entire box shooting five 10-shot groups.
Your own honesty and constructive criticism will be your best friend.
Test ammo that when you fine the right lot a case is still available.
The lot numbers on CCI SV mean nothing. RWS, Eley and Lapua will have meaningful lot numbers.
A higher power scope will be your friend.
The screw adjustments may be more trouble than good. I had a centerfire rifle that I eventually just backed them out.

Last edited by horseman2; 05-07-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2020, 01:53 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Forget American-made ammo. Try Eley, RWS and Lapua.

≡✪≡
Old 05-07-2020, 02:00 PM
SBS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Your rifle will greatly outshoot the ammo you are currently using. In order to get the best out of it, you need to be using better ammo. It's somewhat common to think that all one needs is a good target rifle to shoot small groups, but then the ammo becomes the limiting factor. You also cannot use top notch ammo in a plinker grade rifle and shoot small groups. Small groups require both an accurate rifle and good quality target ammo. You might get an occasional small group out of cheaper ammo, but not with any consistency. There is a reason why the best ammo costs the most.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine shoots SK Standard Plus well. I set the tuning screws where a dollar bill will just have a slight drag between it and the barrel, then add four clicks. I also back them off when I'm finished shooting.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:45 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Concerning the tuning screws:

I have experimented at length with several Winchester 52s and a 40XBR. What I found was that, yes, sometimes the tuning screws actually helped. But I also found that I had to re-experiment every time I went out to shoot.....one day's settings didn't mean a great deal the next time out. I attribute that partially to slight stock movement due to temp and humidity changes. I also found that sometimes the guns shot better free floated. So I pillar bedded all mine, backed the screws out, and haven't looked back.

You've been given excellent advice on the ammo. If you really want to know what that gun can do, you need to buy some upper end ammo to try in the gun. If you really, really want to know what it can do, buy some test lots of something like Eley Tenex, Eley Match, or Midas +, shoot to see what it likes, and then purchase a supply of that particular lot of ammo.

If I had only been able to judge any of my target guns based on shooting something like CCI SV, I would have sold them a long time ago. Don't try flying an airplane requiring aviation grade fuel with something like regular grade gasoline from the convenience store pump. You may be disappointed.

Good luck with your search.

James
Old 05-07-2020, 03:47 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
Mine shoots SK Standard Plus well. I set the tuning screws where a dollar bill will just have a slight drag between it and the barrel, then add four clicks. I also back them off when I'm finished shooting.
That is what I had the most success with when trying to use the tuning screws. I used a strip of typing paper, tightened the screws until they lightly pinched the paper, and then turned the screws in three clicks.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:56 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
I agree with Pump, bed the action well and forget the screws. I also have 52's and 40X's and I experimented with them on a couple of them when I first bought them, some days they work others they don't. Good ammo is the only true test of what you can expect to see. I don't shoot 100 yards, usually 50 yards and 50 meters. 3/8 outside to outside groups are what I expect, providing the conditions are favorable to do so. Practicing with low-mid grade ammo will not be any help.

Shooting a target for score tells me more than shooting groups. IR 50 targets 248-250 with a 15+ X count or ARA 2000-2200 are what most factory 40X's with a few upgrades are capable of. I seen a couple that do better however.

Keep the rifle clean, get a bolt tool, keep the internal parts clean, get a couple of different striker springs, sometimes they make a huge difference. 40X's are great rifles due to the fact they can be upgraded easily. Triggers, stocks, scopes...

Good luck
George
Old 05-07-2020, 08:26 PM
Balvar24

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I can hit paintballs at 100 yards with my CMP gun when I do my part with some Eley.

Tried Wolf MT, but it just wasn't as tight.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:26 AM
Greg Palman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think you can..

expect somewhere in the vicinity of .5" at 50 yds and 1" at 100, more or less. Depends on giving the rifle the quality ammo it likes and having and learning to read your wind flags.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:44 AM
Mike40X
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

I wanted to thank everyone for replying. Although I haven't measured the trigger pull yet, it's a single stage and I would venture to say it's somewhere around 2lbs. Very crisp with virtually no creep/pre-travel. I didn't indicate what optics were on it, but it has a Vortex Viper PST II 3-15x44 FFP on it. I also have a Harris bipod out front. I definitely plan on trying other ammo as I'm not all too happy with the current results. In the rifle's and my defense, it was a fairly breezy day at the range. Again, thanks for the replies. I'll provide an update as I get more ammo to try. On a side note, can someone tell me how many posts are required first before pictures can be posted?
Old 05-08-2020, 12:31 PM
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

One need not get too complicated to construct a trigger scale.
Bend bracing rod or coat hanger, plastic bag to hold weigh and wife's kitchen scale is pretty well it.
Once you have established how much it took to cause the trigger to break weight everything including the rod.
My rod alone weights 61 grams which is enough to cause a 2 oz. trigger to break.

Last edited by horseman2; 05-08-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:11 PM
manitou210

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
40x

Back off those screws bed gun and free float barrel, get trigger adjusted nice and light, good front rest and rear bag and clean barrel checking for carbon build up,
get some Midas + and pretty sure you can shoot groups 5 shots at 100y
manitou
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REM 40X NOV 2017 001.JPG (134.4 KB, 301 views)
Old 05-20-2020, 12:45 PM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mike40X. Congrats. You’ve a great rifle and will find BIG improvements following the advice from these guys.

manitou. That’s a excellent 100 yd bull.