Trespasser/Poacher climbing stand - Page 8 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:22 AM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I really found this thread interesting. I am 100% in favor of the landowner posting his land if that is his desire. He paid for it and pays taxes as well as maintains it. Many posts here are about landowners with small tracts purchased to give them a place to hunt with a bit of separation from the crowds. Respect their wishes and stay off their land unless given permission. However there are others who post land that are not owners. They are the ones that group together and approach a landowner who allows hunting. These are the hunters who Lerrab may be talking about. There was a tract near me owned by a lumber co. that sold 100 permits per year for a token fee of $5 each. You were required to mail your permit back to them at the end of the year with a harvest report. If you failed to do so you could not apply the next year. 20 hunters got together and approached the landowner with a pretty nice sum of money to let them hunt the land exclusively and there went my hunting there. Then there was the case of Broadtop Mtn. in Huntingdon Co. That was a multi thousand acre tract owned by an energy Co. open to hunting. Yep, you guessed it, same thing happened. We went there to do our customary scouting trip the week before deer season and there was a gate across the road with the name of the sportsman club that leased it. My hunting partner and I used to take our sons to Broadtop. Now out of the six of us I am the only one who still hunts. Maybe Lerrab is on to something here.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:59 AM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hunters Dwindling

The number of hunters out there are dwindling. I started hunting a large farm in WV about 30yrs ago. Myself and four friends have hunted the same 375 acres all of that time. The surrounding farms would be teaming with hunters of all ages and the gunfire sounded like a warzone on opening day of deer season. We are friends with all of the neighbors and give one another permission to hunt on each other. This past deer season, There was no sounds of gunfire to speak of and the numbers of deer taken by our party has also dwindled. Years past I would be tagged out by 9:00am on opening day. This year I did not see a single deer. Nothing. The year before I saw only one doe. This year only one member of our party harvested a deer. What has happened?

Deer population was devastated by blue tongue and chronic wasting disease about three years ago. Coyote populations have exploded and at least three large packs run on our farm alone. We kill them when we can but they breed like rabbits. They have killed off all of the rabbits, quail and grouse and have shrank the deer population severely. Hunters have gotten old and even our neighbors who are younger than us have almost quit hunting. I know only one young man from all the neighbors who hunts along with my son and one of my buddie's sons. The other boys want to play video games. It is not as cold and you don't have to wait so long to shoot something. Hunting our farm for deer has become a waste of time. We still go but it is fruitless. I have a friend in KY with about 325 acres who allows me to hunt his farm but I have limited time to hunt and usually only hunt one location for a few days each year. I squirrel hunt all season long but it is easy to find places to hunt squirrel or coyote.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:07 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Whether a person hunts or not, trespassing on private land without permission from the owner is extremely rude behavior. The reason why lands become posted are done for various reasons. Some are the landowner wants to control what is harvested on their property (i.e. seeking to increase older adult populations). Others just want their own personal 'paradise'. Others have livestock and have found gates open, fences cut or damaged from people crossing them.

Trespassers not only leave sign, they scare animals away that the landowner is trying to attract. Whatever the reason why it is posted, as a landowner, they have a right to control their property, no different from anyone in the city crossing the home owners property to take 'shortcuts'. Some artifact hunters remove items that the landowner was hoping to find - another source of stress.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:46 AM
CCCXI
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
Probably be my last post on this subject.
Promises, promises....
Old 02-05-2020, 06:57 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've made a tremendous sacrifice to purchase the farm I hunt on with my son. I've worked three more years than I intended, to pay it off. Now my 5 grandchildren, my daughter, and son-in-law will join me living on this farm and hunting it.

Frankly, at my age, I bought it for these children to pursue a lifetime as sportsmen and women.

I have hunted the property since about 2000 and bought it in 2016. I have never seen a trespasser on the farm.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:27 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCXI View Post
Promises, promises....
Old 02-08-2020, 03:28 PM
Plainsman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
A final word " Hunters ARE killing hunting!"
I agree!

I am saying this from BOTH viewpoints!

When I started hunting on my own, 16, I was fortunate enough to have my grandparents estate to hunt AND I had control of who entered! I had it posted tighter than a drum and still had issues with Trespassing Hunters! I allowed friends and family to hunt and often set them up to quickly fill their tags making for less disruption of game. One fall there were almost 20 guys hunting on the property during the season. Fast forward to a decade later and my uncles forced the sale of the land. I and a friend tried to buy but were outbid by HUNTERS who wanted to CHARGE people to have access.

Now three decades later, I dont send for deer tags regularly anymore because I cant get regular access to any place to hunt because when I have found places, they are eventually bought by another just for hunting and I lose access.

Its becoming a rich mans activity in states where there is little public land.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
" Hunters ARE killing hunting!"
That might be but not here in the upper half, U.P. of Michigan where over half(5 million acres+) of the land is wide open to hunting and fishing. Numbers here of hunters and fishing-folks are down and its not because of posted land. Its because the heritage of hunting and fishing isn't passed down to the younger generation despite the state's lowering the age of youths who may shoot deer under adult close supervision.
While I commend your efforts Lerrab to get kids involved, posted land is not the problem/reason everywhere.
Perhaps you can ceasefire throwing rocks in p.m.'s now eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
Its becoming a rich mans activity in states where there is little public land.
I'm sure it is in some areas of this country but as I stated, it is not here although I sympathize with those who live in overcrowded areas.

While some like to point fingers at just one particular problem with the reduction of those partaking of outdoor sports, such as posting of land, I'm waving one of my bony fingers at smartphones that took the adults' places of babysitting on up to the present generation.
JMO YMMV ETC
Done.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:49 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowwild View Post
I've made a tremendous sacrifice to purchase the farm I hunt on with my son. I've worked three more years than I intended, to pay it off. Now my 5 grandchildren, my daughter, and son-in-law will join me living on this farm and hunting it.

Frankly, at my age, I bought it for these children to pursue a lifetime as sportsmen and women.

I have hunted the property since about 2000 and bought it in 2016. I have never seen a trespasser on the farm.
You are lucky. I have found trespassers on my land and they act like they deserve the right to be on it. The land has been posted for over a quarter of a century. It isnít like they canít see the signs. They just have no respect for other folks property. They act like private property is the same as federal forest property.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:54 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Funny that no one has even mentioned...

Funny that no one has even mentioned development. My parents land now has a grade school on it.
My cousins grandfather ran 3 dairy farms... about 1200 acres. ALL of it is now sub divisions, as well as all of the farms that surrounded those 1200 acres. Once you "plant houses" the hunting is gone and a person has to go farther out if they want to hunt.
I have more places to bow hunt than I have time to hunt them. I have just ONE place that I can hunt with firearms, and it is limited to nothing larger than 22 caliber (rimfire or centerfire) or shotgun or muzzle loader. Too many houses close by.
The closest public hunting is over an hour away and that is if traffic is good. Hunters may be a small part of the equation but it is only a small part of it. Loss of habitat or a place to hunt, primarily due to development is probably the biggest culprit, followed by electronic games. Electronic games = INSTANT access. No driving, no access problems, you are "there" instantly and playing.
That's my take on it.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:07 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
Electronic games = INSTANT access. No driving, no access problems, you are "there" instantly and playing.
All true, but makes a mighty thin broth . . .

My Brother and I went out yesterday to take a look around and work on the base for a permanent chiminea at the shelter to cook on. Drought in the deep south Texas brush, grass is mighty grey and not much tracks. Still very nice day - aching back from moving concrete.

The most distressing development - wind farms. We can see them on both East and West horizons, the line of blinking red lights at night ruining the view around. I can remember in my early 20's seeing hardly a sodium light - now dozens dot the horizons all around.
Development is growing.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:45 PM
outdoorman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To the poster here who thinks it is selfish and unreasonable of me to object to trespassers hunting on my recently bought land:

I have worked hard for nearly 40 years to get to finally realizing ownership of this small property.
When I was younger, I could not afford land because I had responsibilities of raising a family but always dreamed of owning and enjoying someday.
I spent years searching for affordable land and it has taken lots of work to close this purchase. It has been a sacrifice to get here so I will not feel guilty for not accepting trespassers with 'open arms' onto my property.

The trespasser is not some young person asking permission to hunt.
It is a mature adult male sneaking onto the land:
Yesterday, I took the day off so drove out to meet a state forester (not the DNR warden) that gives free advice on land management to Georgia landowners. We spent about 3 hours as he gave advice on prescribed burns, timber thinning, and more.
While we were out walking the woods, I found a game camera well within my property. His comments were that I now had an extra game camera.
When I got home late in the evening, I pulled the SD card and viewed over recorded 100 videos and a few snapshots.
The first still-shot was a selfie of the neighbor's middle-aged adult son apparently taken in his home. The same guy I came face to face with on my property the previous hunting season. It was at that time I told him about my ownership and clarified no trespassing.
The same fellow my other neighbor recently told me he had seen entering on my land when I was away.
Viewing the rest of the SD card reviewed some very impressive deer on his camera. I had no idea of the nice bucks that were coming on just at that one spot. All the recordings were from the same spot. One of the recordings showed me traveling through on the trail during this past season.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:37 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pictures are worth thousands of words eh Outdoorman? Hope you get things worked out.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:35 AM
bobnoffs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
at this point i think there needs to be a face to face. whoever will soon be pissed at whoever took his camera [not saying he is right] and this needs to be resolved. let the police know what has been going on and see how they recommend you proceed.
i don't know but i am not sure how your legal footing is on taking the camera, even though it is on your property. like at what point do you get to keep his new truck because it is on your property?
Old 02-26-2020, 07:05 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
You now have evidence of trespass, I'd share it with your local Sheriff's Dept. and if you're willing to prosecute, do so. Be sure you let them know the State Forester is witness to how you came to have the camera.