Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:31 PM
*Rim-Star*

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ruger Wrangler Shooting to High

Just picked up a Wrangler and its shooting about 8 inches high at 25 yards with both high and standard velocity ammo. The windage is right on the money. Should I send this back to Ruger ?
Old 01-19-2020, 07:46 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Rim-Star* View Post
Just picked up a Wrangler and its shooting about 8 inches high at 25 yards with both high and standard velocity ammo. The windage is right on the money. Should I send this back to Ruger ?
Try it at closer ranges - sounds like it is sighted just fine for 7 yards or so. I know it seems the wrong way round, but it isn't...

Try it - THEN you can tell me I'm wrong.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:16 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (130)
Try using a six o'clock hold on the target.
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 07:04 AM
*Rim-Star*

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Try using a six o'clock hold on the target.
I did use 6 o clock hold, on a 25 yard pistol target POI was at the top edge of the target completely over the bull. This was from a rest as well.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:07 AM
*Rim-Star*

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Try it at closer ranges - sounds like it is sighted just fine for 7 yards or so. I know it seems the wrong way round, but it isn't...

Try it - THEN you can tell me I'm wrong.

Well I am sure that would help but would like to have it on at 25 yards
Old 01-20-2020, 07:26 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Well I am sure that would help but would like to have it on at 25 yards
Since the rear sight is a groove (yes?) then your only option is to somehow add height to the foresight. Layers of nail polish until you get it "just so"?

Old 01-20-2020, 08:00 AM
*Rim-Star*

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Since the rear sight is a groove (yes?) then your only option is to somehow add height to the foresight. Layers of nail polish until you get it "just so"?
Thats the right idea.....maybe could use JB Quik to build it up but I think Ruger should correct it
Old 01-20-2020, 08:20 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thats the right idea.....maybe could use JB Quik to build it up but I think Ruger should correct it
I think you'll find that you are in a VERY small minority wanting a fixed-sight pistol to be sighted for 25 yards. It's worth asking, but ....

Old 01-20-2020, 08:21 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It seems a little excessive to me. Not at all a surprise. A 38 special or 1911 might not do any better. I would call Ruger and talk about it. I suspect this is within tolerances. I maybe wrong. Claims of accuracy and POI posted on this revolver maybe based on 10 yards shooting.

I suppose you could try really slow stuff like Quiet or other extreme stinger. Very slow or very fast should make a noticeable change in POI. I dont know which way. if nothing else 25 yards maybe enough for trajectory to have more effect than barrel time.

Tighter grip might get you an inch lower. I am going to assume the OP has other guns and that he can shoot off a rest. The std vel and hv should not be hitting exactly the same.

I pulled out old targets and found one testing the Mk IV with CCI mini-mag and Stdvel on the same paper. I had over 2" lower POI with Std Vel. Based on that CCI quiet should hit lower. Guns are funny, try it and see.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:39 AM
santacruzpaul

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Same here, About 8 inches High at 25 yards and 1 1/2 inches high at 25 feet with CCI mimi mags, A little better with CCI SV, and subsonic, Quiets shoots well, But don't want to dedicate to such a low velocity.
I built up the front sight 80 thousands with JB Quick, Applied some red fingernail polish, And coated all with brush on Crazy glue for a tough surface.
Heading up to the range today to see where it shoots, Will be back with a range report.
Paul
Old 02-10-2020, 10:51 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With fixed sights you have to experiment with ammo for the best match to your revolver in accuracy.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:05 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
With fixed sights you have to experiment with ammo for the best match to your revolver in accuracy.
With fixed sights you have to realise what the gun was designed to do, and at what ranges.

The Wrangler was NOT designed to be a bench-rest gun at 25 yards.

However, tweaking it to perform that task is probably half of the fun. I wouldn't do it myself, but kudos to that that are trying.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:20 PM
santacruzpaul

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzpaul View Post
Same here, About 8 inches High at 25 yards and 1 1/2 inches high at 25 feet with CCI mimi mags, A little better with CCI SV, and subsonic, Quiets shoots well, But don't want to dedicate to such a low velocity.
I built up the front sight 80 thousands with JB Quick, Applied some red fingernail polish, And coated all with brush on Crazy glue for a tough surface.
Heading up to the range today to see where it shoots, Will be back with a range report.
Paul
Just got back from the range, 80 thousands was too much, Which is a good thing, Shoots CCI mini mags and CCI SV Low from 25 feet, 50 feet and 25 yards. Going to file off about 25 thousands from the front sight and give it another try from there.
Paul
Old 02-11-2020, 08:39 PM
santacruzpaul

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DONE

Quote:
Just got back from the range, 80 thousands was too much, Which is a good thing, Shoots CCI mini mags and CCI SV Low from 25 feet, 50 feet and 25 yards. Going to file off about 25 thousands from the front sight and give it another try from there.
Paul
Well, Ended up taking off a small bit more than 25 thousands at the range, The new Wrangler liked CCI Standard Velocity the best, CCI Subsonic was a close second. Mini mags did OK.
In my experience with this Wrangler, You don't need to add or reduce the front sight height much, !5 or 20 thousands makes a noticeable difference bench resting.
Bottom line is CCI S.V. shoots about 5/8 inch low at 25 feet, A small bit high at 50 feet, And close to Zero at 25 yards shooting at golfballs. All rounds were fired bench resting,
Paul
Old 02-12-2020, 01:55 AM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Well, Ended up taking off a small bit more than 25 thousands at the range, The new Wrangler liked CCI Standard Velocity the best, CCI Subsonic was a close second. Mini mags did OK.
In my experience with this Wrangler, You don't need to add or reduce the front sight height much, !5 or 20 thousands makes a noticeable difference bench resting.
Bottom line is CCI S.V. shoots about 5/8 inch low at 25 feet, A small bit high at 50 feet, And close to Zero at 25 yards shooting at golfballs. All rounds were fired bench resting,
Paul
Thank you, now I know about how much I will need to remove, mine shoots about as low as yours did high