Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:38 PM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

I didn't know whot an Italian grinder was either. Thot perhaps you were talking about 'chinery made in Italy for manually processing/making sausage.

And the only pasties I've ever heard of aren't food.

Both must be fairly localized terms for specific foods, like a muffuletta from down Don's way.

As to food critics, its a Charlie Tuna© conundrum, but in reverse, where ya want someone w/good taste above all else. However, the problem is compounded by people having separate and distinct taste(s).

Today, I think one has to take a lot of whot the search engines come up w/in the way of places to eat and reviews regarding them w/a lot of salt. Personally, I've never written a single review on a place or its food or service, but social media makes it a lot more accessible these days than before it existed in a hand held gadget like now. I do know of some places that I would never revisit and others that I enjoy and look forward to revisiting.

I'm sure there are food apps these days for smart fones & I'm pretty sure some folks are taking pics like selfies of their meals and writing reviews on the spot; gives 'em something to talk about, I guess. I have read some stuff on Yelp from this desk top that left me positive the person doing the reviewing was clueless about much more than the food they had ordered.

Old 11-23-2019, 04:46 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I have never heard of an Italian grinder, nor yet have I ever heard of a pastie you eat. (not usually, anyway). I also confess to having never read a food or restaurant review. I compare all eating places to the NCO mess hall at Naval Air Station Keflavik, Iceland.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:48 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Italian meat sandwich on long roll. Are you trolling me Dlong?

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
What kind of ground meat? Italian sausage? Meatball?
Old 11-23-2019, 06:49 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ham salami,capicola and provolone.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:06 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Ham salami,capicola and provolone.

Sounds like cold cuts to me. The best are usually found at genuine Italian Delicatessens (in my neck of the woods anyway) not in sit down restaurants.
The quality of the meat and bread make the biggest difference. Got to have a drizzle of olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper too.
There used to be a very good chain back when I was in college---Custer's Last Sandwich Stand way better than any modern day Subway. I miss 'em!
Old 11-23-2019, 07:13 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A pasty is a Cornish all in one meal, not nipple covers found in strip clubs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty ...very popular among Yooper natives and the' in the know' tourists. The dough/crust, kind of meat, with rutabagas or no, seasonings, and size of chopped ingredients and/or coarseness of the ground meat all determine what place, or relative, determine an individual's preference.

Back to sandwiches.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:19 PM
Hotdoginabiscuit

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No two are just alike

My favorite sandwich is Jersey Mike's Giant 13 with everything on it. Must have the cherry pepper relish or it's a no go. The stores in the OKC area had it right. I gave them a bunch of money to make me fat. The stores in the Tulsa area I have tried several times and they just aren't the same. Same thing with the Pizza Huts in the two towns either side of me, one really good, the other barely passing. Moral of the story is even if you know you like a particular chain, or they have rave reviews, it's still an experiment.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
A pasty is a Cornish all in one meal, not nipple covers found in strip clubs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty ...very popular among Yooper natives and the' in the know' tourists. The dough/crust, kind of meat, with rutabagas or no, seasonings, and size of chopped ingredients and/or coarseness of the ground meat all determine what place, or relative, determine an individual's preference.

Back to sandwiches.
Just remember the chunky rim-seal is for holding, not for eating (to keep the lead or tin on the miners' hands out of their stomachs...)

Old 11-25-2019, 02:12 AM
rockdrill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Just remember the chunky rim-seal is for holding, not for eating (to keep the lead or tin on the miners' hands out of their stomachs...)
Rubbish!

I do not know where this nonsense originated but it is not correct.

During the time when pasties would have been one of the foods taken underground by miners, food was the single most valuable commodity they had. They could not afford to waste it (as we are so happy to do as a modern society), so everything was eaten.

See this picture below taken in the late 19th century at East Pool Mine near Redruth in Cornwall:

Notice that the miners who are eating pasties have them wrapped in cloth and are eating them from the end, not the side!

The crimp is merely a means to close the crust of the pasty.

Now whoever came up with the idea that a large portion of the miners lunch was to be discarded is totally deluded.

Miners were not stupid, they knew how to keep their food clean.

Miners also tended to be superstitious and would often leave a small offering for 'bucca' aka the 'knockers', the spirits of the mines, this offering would tend to be a very small bit of the very end of the crust, but certainly not the whole of the crimp.

Whether these offerings led to the ridiculous belief that the whole crust was discarded I do not know, but evidently some ignorant individual has gotten the total wrong idea at some point.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:50 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
..... Forget the reviews and watch for newer restaurants that have not been jaded. If you find one keep it quiet and enjoy it while you can.
This!
Old 11-25-2019, 07:54 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
Rubbish!

I do not know where this nonsense originated but it is not correct.

During the time when pasties would have been one of the foods taken underground by miners, food was the single most valuable commodity they had. They could not afford to waste it (as we are so happy to do as a modern society), so everything was eaten.

See this picture below taken in the late 19th century at East Pool Mine near Redruth in Cornwall:

Notice that the miners who are eating pasties have them wrapped in cloth and are eating them from the end, not the side!

The crimp is merely a means to close the crust of the pasty.

Now whoever came up with the idea that a large portion of the miners lunch was to be discarded is totally deluded.

Miners were not stupid, they knew how to keep their food clean.

Miners also tended to be superstitious and would often leave a small offering for 'bucca' aka the 'knockers', the spirits of the mines, this offering would tend to be a very small bit of the very end of the crust, but certainly not the whole of the crimp.

Whether these offerings led to the ridiculous belief that the whole crust was discarded I do not know, but evidently some ignorant individual has gotten the total wrong idea at some point.
Tell us how you REALLY feel about it....

Old 11-25-2019, 08:07 AM
rockdrill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Tell us how you REALLY feel about it....
I find that particular bit of misinformation irksome and am surprised to see it has spread across the pond, by way of comparison, in a similar vein, doesn't any of the anti-gun nonsense/propaganda that gets bandied around annoy you by its lack of factual accuracy?

Last edited by rockdrill; 11-25-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:15 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Food critics work for media companies, media companies sell ads to restaurants. If a critic gave a bad review how many ads could the media company sell?

This is the conundrum, living in small town America has many benefits, but gastronomic delight isnít usually one of them. Locally we have one good Chinese restaurant, one good pizza place, one good chicken take out. And thats it. Ad 30 40 mile radius, and we have the worlds finest food in Chicagoland. Hey, all the food critics say so

That being said, i haven't had a decent restaurant hamburger in 40 years since i left Michigan. But the grinders, beefs, sausages, gyros, souvlaki, schwarma , pork chop, breaded steak sandwiches are super. And the hotdogs and polishes are sublime.

The best are served up by family operations, wher mom and pop love the food,the customers and their kids. Thats the secret ingredient
Old 11-25-2019, 09:05 AM
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
The best are served up by family operations, wher mom and pop love the food,the customers and their kids. Thats the secret ingredient
Hmmm. Maybe this is what I need to look for. Seems I can't find a really good, traditional Reuben anywhere in Black Hawk County. Been thinking I need to go to NYC and hit up a good Jewish deli. 'Course, that'll spoil it for me locally.

Roger
Old 11-25-2019, 09:44 AM
shootbrownelk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Whatís an Italian grinder?
It's what the mafia put Jimmy Hoffa through.