What are your three favourite books on the .22 rimfire? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:31 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My three favorites are the John Gyde and Roy Marcot's book on Remington rimfires, Ned Schwing's Winchester Slide Action Rifles, and Walnut Bill's book Vintage .22 Rifles. One I want is the previously mentioned book on the Winchester 52. I'm holding out to find one for about $25.........
Old 04-15-2017, 05:30 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the endorsement, Pump 22s. Coming from you, I consider that high praise indeed. I'm working hard on book 2 now, and I hope to have it to the publisher by this fall.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:25 PM
Slowalkintexan

Texas' beautiful hill country, Michigan's golden left coast.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Landis'

22 caliber rifle shooting.....Is that one any good?
Old 02-07-2019, 10:07 AM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Several folks have expressed an interest in a book two of Walnut and Steel: Vintage .22 Rifles. and I just wanted to let them know that is finally available. I apologize for it being a bit later than I was hoping, and I greatly appreciate the interest in it as well as in book one. You folks are the greatest.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank JWA and Sav22 for their considerable help.
This is truly a great forum, and especially valuable are the many members who often go out of their way to help other members.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:37 AM
thomasgunn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walnut and Steel 2 ?!?

Pray tell, where can we patient folks obtain our own copy of this long anticipated tome? Very excited!
Old 02-09-2019, 11:10 AM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's only available in paperback form for now from Amazon. I'm hoping it'll appear soon in hardback and e-book.
Thanks for your interest Thomas, and thanks again for everyone's patience.
By the way, the title is Walnut and Steel II

Last edited by WalnutBill22; 02-09-2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 AM
thomasgunn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found it on Amazon and ordered a copy. Huzzah!!
Old 02-09-2019, 03:34 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad you found it, and I hope you like it. After you've read it, let me know what you think.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 AM
thomasgunn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walnut and Steel II Two thumbs way up!

A superb follow up to (Walnut)Bill Ward’s already excellent Walnut and Steel, W&S II offers nearly fifty more pages(!) of history, acute observations, humorous anecdotes and just plain great writin’ about those venerable lil .22s that make some of us go all warm n’ fuzzy. A must for your firearms library. I especially enjoyed Chapter 9: Random Thoughts. Only (very minor) quibble: devouring this book in one evening only made me yearn for Volume III!
Old 02-12-2019, 12:39 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, Thomas. I'm truly glad you liked it, and I greatly appreciate your kind comments. Again, it was a lot of work, but a true labor of love. There were quite a few folks here on RFC who unknowingly contributed, but two in particular were of tremendous help: Gene (Sav22) and Jeff (JWA). They were kind enough to review some of what I had written and offered some very constructive criticism that kept me from making some rather serious mistakes.
You're quite right, these old rifles are fascinating (and addictive).
Old 02-13-2019, 09:19 PM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Three good .22 books are:

The Gun Digest Book of .22 Rimfire Rifles Pistols Ammuniton by James E. House.

The Gun Digest Book of the .22 Rifle by C. Rodney James

The .22 Rifle by David Petzal

The book by House very good and has his personal evaluations of various rimfire rifles and pistols.

The James book mostly concentrates on target shooting and finding accurate ammunition.

Petzal's book was written in 1973 when he was mellower (but not by much).

Now, Walnut Bill, does your new book have an International Standard Book Number and if I phone my local book store would they be able to order it? I would really like to get a copy.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 PM
ayetee

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Not sure about the second or third best but Calfee's tops my list.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:16 AM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old 39 View Post
Three good .22 books are:

The Gun Digest Book of .22 Rimfire Rifles Pistols Ammuniton by James E. House.

The Gun Digest Book of the .22 Rifle by C. Rodney James

The .22 Rifle by David Petzal

The book by House very good and has his personal evaluations of various rimfire rifles and pistols.

The James book mostly concentrates on target shooting and finding accurate ammunition.

Petzal's book was written in 1973 when he was mellower (but not by much).

Now, Walnut Bill, does your new book have an International Standard Book Number and if I phone my local book store would they be able to order it? I would really like to get a copy.
The ISBN is 978-1-64111-229-1. I think so far it is only available from Amazon and only in paperback form, but it will soon be available from them as an e-book (kindle). If you have any trouble finding one, let me know, and I'll make sure you get a copy.
Thanks for your interest.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:27 PM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ordered it tonight. Those International Standard Book Numbers sure take the guesswork out of ordering.

Three more books.

The American Rifle by Townsend Whelen. Written in 1918. It covers the Winchester 1890, 1906, 1903 and Single Shot, the Stevens Ideal, the Savage 1914, the Remington 12 and 16, and the Marlin 1897. It's not that good. Most of Whelen's stuff is cribbed from catalogs and put into prose.

The Rifle in America by Phil Sharpe. Written in 1938. This lists every rimfire rifle in production as of 1938. Also has a sneak peak at the brand new Winchester Model 70 and the brand new M1 Garand. It's a little weak on rimfires. Mostly it just rehashes what is in the catalogs and instruction booklets.

Rifles, A Modern Encyclopedia by Henry Stebbins. Written in 1958. Gives a good history of American rifles and a review of makes available as of 1958. Stebbins is wordy and rambles but he gives his impressions and experiences with various .22 rifles.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:38 PM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I well remember Rick Fines special edition magazine on rimfires from 1976. I walked half a mile downtown from the school where I worked to get the mail. I saw that magazine on the stands but I had no money. So I walked half a mile home, got some cash, walked half a mile back, bought the magazine and then walked half a mile back home. And it was cold.

It was worth it. Don't know what eventually happened to that magazine but I wish I still had it.