Zanders Winchester 52R Sporter - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:08 AM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Zanders Winchester 52R Sporter

I need some concise and to the point help. I want to mount a scope on my Zanders 52 but am faced with the famous 52 bolt handle/scope mounting delimna. What is the best scope/ring/base combo that will get the scope as low as possible and allow the bolt to work? I want to mount a scope with an AO. Help please. I have a buddy that has one and had the bolt handle turned down. I am horrified at the thought of that.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:00 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Leupold or Burris bases with extra high rings should get you there with most scopes, unless you have a scope with especially large ocular adjustment knobs or bells.... My win 52B has a Weaver V16 on it with AO and it seems to work fine set up like this...

Bob
Old 10-19-2020, 01:15 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The Zanders' 52R can use Weaver bases and high rings should be fine on them. That's what I have on mine.

Whatever you do, DO NOT alter the bolt. The Zanders' 52R was made in a very limited edition - 500 I believe - and are bringing serious money when one comes up for sale. Altering the bolt will lower the value considerably IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2020, 02:17 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
The Zanders' 52R can use Weaver bases and high rings should be fine on them. That's what I have on mine.

Whatever you do, DO NOT alter the bolt. The Zanders' 52R was made in a very limited edition - 500 I believe - and are bringing serious money when one comes up for sale. Altering the bolt will lower the value considerably IMO.
I found some mounts and a Nikon rimfire without AO that I think is going to work ok. I wish Miroku had redesigned the bolt handle when they tooled up and made the 52Rs.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:08 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I've gone round and round with my 52R over the years, and recently settled on weaver bases and low rings with . . . . . . . prepare yourself . . . . . .

an old Weaver K1060B.

I love these scopes, and one that is still in good condition is hard to beat for any rimfire (or smaller centerfire), but works especially well for the 52 reproductions due to their sanely sized objective and ocular lenses, AO from less than 50 ft. to infinity and finger adjustable windage and elevation.
You're welcome.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:05 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Is the barrel contour on the Zanders 52R that much different than the other 52 repros?

On my Browning 52R I'm using a Weaver V24 with Weaver bases and medium Burris Signature Zee rings. No issue with the bolt handle clearing the ocular lens. I don't recall that it's particularly close either. I'll have to look at it later

Old 10-19-2020, 04:19 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNolan View Post
Is the barrel contour on the Zanders 52R that much different than the other 52 repros?

On my Browning 52R I'm using a Weaver V24 with Weaver bases and medium Burris Signature Zee rings. No issue with the bolt handle clearing the ocular lens. I don't recall that it's particularly close either. I'll have to look at it later
Yeah the Zanders has a heavier barrel.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:20 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
I've gone round and round with my 52R over the years, and recently settled on weaver bases and low rings with . . . . . . . prepare yourself . . . . . .

an old Weaver K1060B.

I love these scopes, and one that is still in good condition is hard to beat for any rimfire (or smaller centerfire), but works especially well for the 52 reproductions due to their sanely sized objective and ocular lenses, AO from less than 50 ft. to infinity and finger adjustable windage and elevation.
You're welcome.
I like the old weavers too
Old 10-19-2020, 04:40 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I should have mentioned that I use the steel Grand Slam bases by Weaver. A rifle of this quality deserves steel. You could also use Burris gloss Zee rings if you really wanted to gild the lily.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:40 PM
3Dub

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb henderson View Post
I found some mounts and a Nikon rimfire without AO that I think is going to work ok. I wish Miroku had redesigned the bolt handle when they tooled up and made the 52Rs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post

Go for it. Buy a spare and grind away:
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B2563006

Old 10-22-2020, 05:49 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dub View Post
Go for it. Buy a spare and grind away:
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B2563006

I might just buy one myself and customize it for my field gun. Thanks 3Dub, that would get me to my 33rd unfinished gun project!!! Grrrrr.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:24 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNolan View Post
Zanders 52 on the left.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:06 PM
cvarcher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scope for Zanders 52B

I have Leupolds VX2 3-9 x 33EFR AO Rimfire on mine with detacheable top mount (high) Weaver steel bases and it clears the bolt just fine and the scope is perfect in balance and performance for this rifle. Also same rig on the Rem 541S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Win52B (2).jpg (488.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Rem541s (3).jpg (494.7 KB, 2 views)