Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

I'm going to get a 40X Sporter Repeater!

6K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  jpickar 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to get a 40X Sporter Repeater! I GOT IT!!

After over 20 years of waiting my friend is going to sell me his Factory 40X Sporter Repeater. It has been a long time coming.
I have been looking on the gun sites and haven't come up with a current price for one. I have done all the advanced searches and come up with zero on finished auctions.

Any help in finding a current value would be appreciated. It is in very good condition. It has been shot some. No box or papers or anything. Just a shooter grade gun but still worth a bundle.

Thanks for any input. John

#2 ·
Once you get it in your hands post pictures here and the resident experts will give you a ball park figure. Single shot 40X sporters if they are like new I have seen them getting 5k for them. 40X sporters with magazine are bringing crazy money according to wood options, engraving, box etc 10K and up. Just my observation.

#4 ·
Did some looking just now. Wow, these rifles are very expensive now. Some on Guns International...Barnett fine arms seems to have two.

I saw one for sell on consignment back in 1990 or 1991. It was $1,400. I had no idea what it was, but it was the first "centerfire look alike" I had ever seen. I wanted it but I couldn't afford half the price. I think it was at an LGS in Albuquerque.

#6 ·
This is a situation that many buyers and sellers face and remorse is not to be considered.
Given a willing seller and a willing buyer there will be no remorse.
When you have decided what you are willing to pay and the seller sets a price there may be no negotiation unless it is coming to some middle ground.
If his price is lower than what you have set as your limit . . . PAY his price.
Some things are not worth losing a friend over.

#7 ·
My friend is a good guy and we will come to an agreed priced with no problems. Now we have a auction, that I couldn't find for some reason, with a price of $8550. I was sure the price would be over $5K but not sure if it would be $10K. I remember someone here bought one a few years back. It was NIB and it was a F grade. Meaning it was engraved from the factory. If I remember right is was very pricey. Any other info would be nice to help dial in a price.

Yes I will post pics here when I get it. I have been waiting over 20 years to get this gun.

#9 ·
Keep in mind the F grades were the top of the heap. Other grades as in the plain factory rifles will be priced substantially lower mainly because so few of the C,D, and F grades were made. If this is a more plain factory rifle without the embellishments, it could be worth half or much less than a pristine F grade might bring....

#14 · (Edited)
There were only 629 Repeaters made over ten years, with the last ones made in 1980. Therefore, they have been out of production for 41 years. There aren't going to be any more. They are the top of the line for Remington rimfire rifles.

I think $7500 is the floor for a nice basic rifle without box and bag, etc.. Add the original box and original contents, plus a few extra magazines, and you are well past $10,000 and climbing.

#17 ·
After over 20 years of waiting my friend is going to sell me his Factory 40X Sporter Repeater. It has been a long time coming.
I have been looking on the gun sites and haven't come up with a current price for one. I have done all the advanced searches and come up with zero on finished auctions.

Any help in finding a current value would be appreciated. It is in very good condition. It has been shot some. No box or papers or anything. Just a shooter grade gun but still worth a bundle.

Thanks for any input. John
By the way congrats on your first one, I remember and still own my first one, I was in AWE when I held it, I'll never forget the feeling!!!!!

#22 ·
I got the 40X repeater today. My friend was waiting for me to come up. I spent most of the day with him. His wife just died from covid. We talked, we reminisced. He gave me a very good deal. Here are a couple of pics to start with. We just sold our home so we are very busy. I will get more pics up tomorrow I hope.
Rich I will call you in a couple of days and get the specifics on the gun. It did come with sights and I have them. I did get the Marlin mag that I found for him as a spare over 20 years ago. He also put a Canjar set trigger on it. I got the original trigger too. Everything to make it back to original.

It came with a Leupold 3X9 EFR scope. Very nice wood. More pics to come.
John

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.