Finally picked up a 617!! - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:44 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Holy Cow you have had some bad luck with S&W's. I think you should sell all yours to me and we would both be happy. I have owned dozens of S&W's and NEVER had a problem like you have repetitively had. I have owned lots of 617's and 63's and 17's and many others. I only sold them to make a buck and buy another.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:20 AM
HalfMoA
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S&W "Luck"

I have done well with S&W (only revolvers, never will own one of their autos), except for this 617 & the barrels. I have owned a 586 back in the 80's, then bought the 686+ about 4 years ago, then the 617 earlier this year.

I had my buddy smooth the action on my 686+ (7-rounds), then had the cylinder cut for moon clips by TK Custom. This 686 runs a bit nicer than any of my 4 Colt Pythons (2 original, 1970's vintage, 2 new, 2020 models). It will only ignite Federal SP primers consistently with the light trigger/mainspring setup. I do need to shoot more ICORE matches, but my rifle shooting takes priority.

I will have him work on the 617 action, knowing that the trigger pull will have to be heavier to ignite all sorts of .22 LR cartridges, but he gets the actions smoother than wet ice on wet ice with zero stacking, in double-action.

Last edited by HalfMoA; 11-17-2021 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Small PISTOL primers
Old 10-23-2021, 01:35 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been shooting Smith & Wesson revolvers since 74 and have always had good luck with them. I would shoot in competitions and after a year I'd have a gunsmith either go over the gun or I'd buy a new one.

Mostly I shot Model 10s, 586s and my favorite the 617. I put on average 65 thousand rounds a year through my guns so they have to take a beating...

Last edited by AzShooter; 11-18-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:55 AM
Triggershoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfMoA View Post
I have done well with S&W (only revolvers, never will own one of their autos), except for this 617 & the barrels. I have owned a 586 back in the 80's, then bought the 686+ about 4 years ago, then the 617 earlier this year.

I had my buddy smooth the action on my 686+ (7-rounds), then had the cylinder cut for moon clips by TK Custom. This 686 runs a bit nicer than any of my 4 Colt Pythons (2 original, 1970's vintage, 2 new, 2020 models). It will only ignite Federal SR primers consistently with the light trigger/mainspring setup. I do need to shoot more ICORE matches, but my rifle shooting takes priority.

I will have him work on the 617 action, knowing that the trigger pull will have to be heavier to ignite all sorts of .22 LR cartridges, but he gets the actions smoother than wet ice on wet ice with zero stacking, in double-action.
I think you mean ignite Federal SP primers consistently. That's what I have to use in my 686 as well, set up with a similar (around 7lbs) double action trigger pull.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:34 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
S&W will NOT HONOR warranties to second-hand owners. I tried with a factory $hitty barrel. See my other post above.
They honored mine! I got a brand new frame, and they re-cut the forcing cone, and it's like a new gun. I didn't tell them I was the second owner I don't think though. It clearly wasn't abused, that was a factory flaw.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:37 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I guess I never did a follow up on this - it took about 8 weeks, but they replaced the frame, recut the forcing cone, and I got back basically a brand new gun. They did tighten the main spring up more than it was before, so the trigger was a little heavier, but I took it out and shot maybe 200 rounds through it, no leading only minor powder above forcing cone, and accuracy was great. I had to pay $40 to have the new SN transferred to me, but they reimbursed that as well.

Happy ending, I was just without it for 2 months.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:26 AM
BobCole
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_80 View Post
I guess I never did a follow up on this - it took about 8 weeks, but they replaced the frame, recut the forcing cone, and I got back basically a brand new gun. They did tighten the main spring up more than it was before, so the trigger was a little heavier, but I took it out and shot maybe 200 rounds through it, no leading only minor powder above forcing cone, and accuracy was great. I had to pay $40 to have the new SN transferred to me, but they reimbursed that as well.

Glad to hear a happy ending.

The one time I used S&W warranty, they took excellent care of me. This was 30 years ago though, things may have changed since then.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:40 AM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The way things are today 2 months isn't a long time to be without your gun and it sounds like it was well worth it. My 617 is the only gun I refused to sell over the years. It's always done well for me.

For fun get some DS-10 Speedloaders for it from Revolver Supply Co. They make loading at the range a lot easier. Although you do have to load the boxes with ammo before hand.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:15 PM
HalfMoA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Follow-Up on 617 Barrel

Quote:

I had my buddy smooth the action on my 686+ (7-rounds), then had the cylinder cut for moon clips by TK Custom. This 686 runs a bit nicer than any of my 4 Colt Pythons (2 original, 1970's vintage, 2 new, 2020 models). It will only ignite Federal SR primers consistently with the light trigger/mainspring setup. I do need to shoot more ICORE matches, but my rifle shooting takes priority.

I was able to find a good replacement barrel for my 617 and got it installed, polish-reamed the forcing cone and set the cylinder gap at 0.005". Took it to the indoor range and shot 10 each of 10 different types of ammo from 10 yards, single-action from a crude rest. 8/10 shot 1" groups or less with some fliers (me & my old eyes). The worst groups were Federal Champion bulk & Remington Golden Bullets bulk. Interesting that the Fed Champs out of the 50-round boxes shot really well. 100 rounds and very, very minimal lead/powder splatter on the FC or frame.

My buddy & I will be polishing & tuning the action next weekend, just in time to go shooting over the long Thanksgiving weekend.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:22 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Glad to hear the good news.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:44 PM
HalfMoA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dishonoring Second-Hand Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_80 View Post

When I called $hit & Wesson's customer service, they told me that I had to send in a copy of the FFL form & receipt that indicated that I am the original owner. All this before they would authorize an RMA.

Fortunately, I was able to find a replacement barrel and all is good now. (see posts above)
Old 11-18-2021, 02:56 PM
BobCole
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
When I called $hit & Wesson's customer service, they told me that I had to send in a copy of the FFL form & receipt that indicated that I am the original owner. All this before they would authorize an RMA.

Odd. When I used them they never once asked me anything like that, much less about my FFL info. Of course this was a few years ago. Perhaps things have changed now?

I always go to a mfgr's web site & register the S/N with them no matter how old the gun is. Maybe that's why I've only needed warranty work a time or two? Had I not done the registration, I'd probably be needing to send in a dozen or more guns? LOL!
Old 11-18-2021, 07:07 PM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
smith & Wesson has never asked me for that information, only the serial number. It never mattered if I was the original owner or not. Probably a new Customer Service Rep that made a big mistake.

What I have learned is that everyone has a boss. If you don't like the service you are getting ask for their supervisor. Eventually you will find the right person to take care of you. It shouldn't be that way but people start thinkin they have the final say when they don't.

Glad you found a new barrel. Even with the new barrel Smith should take care of your gun if you need to send it back in.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:25 PM
HalfMoA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All is well with my 617

Buddy, Brett, helped me tune & polish the innards of my 617. The process was identical to what he/we did on my 686+:
  • Started with, "Don't need this, nor this, nor that, this either." (mostly hammer-lock hardware)
  • Cut trigger return spring to accommodate a stainless steel bearing.
  • I polished all the surfaces of parts that fit within the side plate while he polished the recesses with a Dremel tool & polishing bit.
  • Replaced the mainspring with an aftermarket spring that has a ridge down the middle.
  • Tuned the mainspring until "it felt & sounded right".
  • Reassembled without the "don't need" parts.
  • Dry-snapped on empty cases to see if they went pop and to compare with previously shot cases & FP dimples.
DA is as smooth as the 686+, but the DA trigger weight is heavier in order to ignite all brands of ammo (SA is almost dangerously light). I can shoot 3.5" - 4" groups at 50 feet with DA. Brett can shoot 2" groups at 25 yards with either hand (2-hand holds) or either eye, all DA. He is a robot when it comes tuning & shooting revolvers.

I may never shoot my semi-autos again!

P.S. S&W would never accept the revo back after the modifications, and I would never send it back, now. Brett is my Smith smith. Just needed the barrel to be right.

Last edited by HalfMoA; 12-02-2021 at 09:32 PM. Reason: P.S.