Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Prewar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Win 63 goes full auto

My recently acquired early 50s 63 has on 3 occasions went full auto and emptied the magazine. Its rare but of the 3 times its only done it when carefully shooting off sand bags..never when casually plinking. Also of note its only done it after installing a vintage weaver N5 base and 3/4" scope which it had previously been drilled for. The base screws do stick out a tiny bit inside the receiver and I can very slightly feel the bolt bypassing these on its travel but it does function %100 with proper "63" ammo( minimags,golden). Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-10-2017, 12:30 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Take the scope off and see if the problem still exists.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:29 PM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Take the scope off and see if the problem still exists.
Yep that's what i'd do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2017, 05:42 PM
JWA

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Only load one at a time, that should fix the problem

Sorry, couldn't resist

Make sure it is clean internally and check the sear for wear.

Regards,
Old 06-12-2017, 02:12 PM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently cleaned the Mod 63 that has been in my family since new.
The trigger parts are nearly identical to the M1 carbine, and very robust. I would bet it has some sticky stuff in it, or someone tried to get a decent trigger pull and went to far.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Prewar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Finally got to inspect my 63 and found a lot of grittiness on the trigger components. Quite dirty since its last cleaning. I also do not see any filing marks on the sear etc. Mildly tried to punch out the pins but they are in tight and appear to not be scuffed up from previous attempts, so I am gonna assume its unmolested. Hopefully the cleaning will cure this infrequent problem !
Old 07-09-2017, 04:01 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
My recently acquired early 50s 63 has on 3 occasions went full auto and emptied the magazine. Its rare but of the 3 times its only done it when carefully shooting off sand bags..never when casually plinking. Also of note its only done it after installing a vintage weaver N5 base and 3/4" scope which it had previously been drilled for. The base screws do stick out a tiny bit inside the receiver and I can very slightly feel the bolt bypassing these on its travel but it does function %100 with proper "63" ammo( minimags,golden). Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
That would not be a desirable situation in my opinion, so I would remove the screws and shorten them a tad. It may (can't really see how) or may not have anything to do with going full auto, but I would do this regardless. My guess is something is amiss in the trigger mechanism. A good cleaning may be the ticket....or not.

Just my opinion......

Oh, just got a vision of a scene in my head from all this that tickles my funny bone....

So, I'm squirrel hunting with my Winchester 63 and draw a bead on a fox squirrel. Upon firing the gun goes full auto, and every other squirrel in the woods, thinks, "Holy cow, this guy is serious".
Old 07-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
In any case,shorten the base screws(or add shims under the base or thin washers on the screws). They may or may not have anything to do with the issue ,but they shouldn't be detected by your finger or by breech block operation.