541S Second Action Screw and Bedding - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:58 PM
smithrjd
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
541S Second Action Screw and Bedding

Is there such a thing as a "kit" for the second action screw? Have looked around and did not seen anything. I have seen pictures of one modified, Some use a longer screw for the magazine release? and others appear to have been drilled and tapped further back. I would guess pillars would a good thing as well. I have bedded and floated several rifles so that does not concern me. Just not sure how to acquire what is needed for pillars and a second action screw. Brownell's and Numrich show nothing in stock for Action screws.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:48 PM
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I sent one back to Remington

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrjd View Post
Is there such a thing as a "kit" for the second action screw? Have looked around and did not seen anything. I have seen pictures of one modified, Some use a longer screw for the magazine release? and others appear to have been drilled and tapped further back. I would guess pillars would a good thing as well. I have bedded and floated several rifles so that does not concern me. Just not sure how to acquire what is needed for pillars and a second action screw. Brownell's and Numrich show nothing in stock for Action screws.
I sent a 541 S to Remington when they had customer service. It was loose in the stock, printed patterns instead of groups. They replied to me and asked if it was ok to put the second bedding screw in like the 541T rifles, and I told them to do it. That is a possible solution if you have the means, but if not, bedding the action would be a viable way to get the accuracy you seek. By the way, I have shot many tiny one hole groups with that rifle.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:00 PM
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
No kits for that conversion that I know of. I made my own pillars and the second action screw was not hard. Basically, I went through the middle wood screw hole straight into to the action. A shortened Rem. 700 action screw works great.
A 541S pillar bedded with a second action screw becomes a real consistent tack driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2017, 09:10 PM
smithrjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm sure I could make or modify pillars, the screw or screws are what I'm not sure of. No second action screws look to be available for the 541 series, even those that came stock with the second one. 700 action kits are plentiful, perhaps I could parts from one of those.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:26 PM
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
I'm sure I could make or modify pillars, the screw or screws are what I'm not sure of. No second action screws look to be available for the 541 series, even those that came stock with the second one. 700 action kits are plentiful, perhaps I could parts from one of those.
You could also go thru Brownells and get either the second action screw for the 700 ADL or even the Model 7. Just a thought.

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/...aspx#r28sid124
Old 03-07-2017, 11:15 PM
MT64

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)

The factory screw is #8-36. K22 is right, you can use a model 7 screw. The small one (rear one is #8-36) with the hex head is the one I use to do these guns, though you will have to shorten it. And do use the same hole as the wood screw in the center. Remember, If you cut the screw too long it will freeze the breach bolt when you tighten it down.

Last edited by MT64; 03-08-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:04 AM
smithrjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all of the info, I didn't know what size and other options were available. Wife has a Model 7 so I have an example at hand. Model 7 and 700 parts are easy to source. Appears 5XX series not so much..
Old 03-08-2017, 07:50 AM
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks rimfirecamo, I was going from memory and that can be dangerous for me.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:14 AM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K22 View Post
You could also go thru Brownells and get either the second action screw for the 700 ADL or even the Model 7. Just a thought.

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/...aspx#r28sid124
This one:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod10134.aspx

If you can measure accurately and know how to locate your hole center, it's a simple drill and tap procedure. If not, I'd consider using someone with those skills/tools for the work. A misplaced hole in the bottom of your receiver might be a bit disconcerting.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:49 AM
MT64

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)

Smith, when you drill and tap the second action screw hole on these guns ,you will drill through the center edge of the center rear locking lug abutment (if you use the center wood screw hole in the floorplate to get you measurement). This is easy to see with a borescope. That is one reason I like the #8-36 screw (the 700 screws are 1/4 inch ). I have a few of the factory slotted head 541 screws, but they are often a little too short. With that small of a screw, I like to get all the threads I can by cutting my own length. I Hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited by MT64; 03-08-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:05 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Talking

There are several sets or individual screws for the Remington actions you can buy from Brownells. Here is a package from the last set I bought

The bottom is a 58x action screw, the set actually had 2 of the 1/4" 28 screws of different lengths and 1 of the 8-36 screws. I like the shorter 1/4-28 screw which you still have to shorten. I also like to put the second action screw closer to the magazine. The receiver is thicker there, if you go straight through from the front trigger screw hole you go into the locking lug area. I tried going in that area before and could only catch a couple of threads and keep it from interfering with the locking lugs. If you go forward you can get at least twice the amount of threads to catch.

It is hard to find 5/16-24 screws to use. I can't find them on brownells and I can't find any locally. I did pick up a couple of cap screws that I am going to play with on the lathe to see how I can make them look.

This is just how I do it, many ways will work I am sure. I have read in different places it is wisest to have the action screws in front of the locking lugs, don't know if it's true but I think I read it on the Internet so it has to be.haha
Old 03-08-2017, 04:17 PM
smithrjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a decent drill press and vice, so I think I should be able to get a centered hole. Will look at things again and see what I can do. The rifle shoots pretty good as it is, but I am pretty sure with a free floated barrel and a second action screw bedded properly it can shoot better.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:11 PM
smithrjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I looked at things close today, with the action out etc. Not a lot of wood in that center area. If I use the center wood screw hole it definitely looks like it will come up in the locking lug area. If I move forward there will be little if any wood to drill through/hold a pillar. A larger screw would make the problem worse. Did Remington use the center screw for it's position when they added the second action screw?
Old 03-09-2017, 06:21 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
A friend says yes they went through the same hole so I am guessing they are only catching a few threads. I don't have a 541 so I wonder if someone who has one could chime in. Also I wonder what size screw they are using?
Old 03-09-2017, 10:48 PM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
I looked at things close today, with the action out etc. Not a lot of wood in that center area. If I use the center wood screw hold it definitely looks like it will come up in the locking out area.
I've got three done this way. No problems of any sort.

Last edited by cowboy4; 03-09-2017 at 10:51 PM.