Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Range report

Not exactly sure where to put a range report, but since this is basically a stock, sporter barrel, low-end 10/22, I'll put it here.

Paid $220 for it about 5 years ago and stuck it in a closet, along with a couple of pistols. I've never been a shooter; my only experience shooting was in Army basic training. Got into shooting last year.

To accurize this 10/22, I recently sanded the black plastic stock and added a washer as a spacer to free-float the barrel. I also did my own 3# trigger job; learned how from Youtube videos. Bought a BX at one point; it now sits in the closet. (It is also now a 3-pounder.)

I added Tech Sights for irons shooting, and a Primary Arms 6X rimfire scope for even better accuracy. Normally when you add a Tech Sight rear sight, you can't also do a scope except maybe a red dot; I'll get a pic up tmw (daylight lighting) to show how I did both.

Other than sights/rings/rails, I have about $30 in tools/materials to make it shoot better. I shoot from a table at an outdoor range, using a $20 bipod and a rear bag. I just started using a bag last week, never have before.

So after this long-winded intro to set the scene, here are today's results.

Distance: 50 yards. About 85 degrees, no wind. Groups measured c-to-c.
# of shots.....group size.....ammo.....comments

5.....0.38".....Eley Match.....best ever for 5 shots; vertical string
5.....0.60".....SK Rifle Match.....new ammo I tried out today; vertical string
5.....0.60".....Eley Practice 100.....another new ammo; NW to SE string
5.....0.63".....Eley HV.....little disappointed here actually; got a 0.25" 4-shot group last week with my RAR; NW to SE string
4.....0.25".....Eley Force.....flyer brought it to 0.75"; one ragged hole for the 4
4.....0.38".....Lapua Midas+.....again, with flyer = 0.75"; Mickey Mouse ears
4.....0.50".....Norma Tac 22.....another new ammo; with flyer = 0.63"; NW to SE string

-- Not so good were Remington Match Extra+ and Wolf Match Target, both 5 @ 1.125". Diagonal strings.
-- Terrible, to my shock, were CCI AR Tactical (5 @ 1.5", 4 @ 0.8") and CCI MM 36gr HP, (5 @ 2.0")! However in its defense, since I zeroed the scope with the CCI MM 36gr, it did have 3 in the 10-ring on my 3" target. The AR Tac had 2. Both ammos had a flyer about 0.75" from the closest round in a large group. Both strung vertically.

Interesting how different ammos strung differently. I'm gonna try this again with the best ammo, and a 9X scope to see if that helps. Might throw in some Thunderbolt or something just for laughs!

So for 5 shots, 0.38". For 4 shots, 0.25", the same as I got last week with my RAR and a 9X scope. Tossing out the anomalous 0.38", by far the most common 5-shot group sizes (4 of 6) were in the 0.6x" range @ 50 yards. So I'm calling this 10/22 a 1.2 MOA gun, with very good but not great ammo, and for now a .8 MOA with the best stuff.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 08-27-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pics of my 10/22 with its new stock, bought from another member here (thanks Scott!), and my 1964 Western Auto 120/Marlin 60.
-- The red trigger (purely cosmetic) and red, larger mag release nicely complement the Ruger emblem on the handgrip. Got 'em from Tactical Innovations; lotsa colors to choose from.
-- I added the high comb from my RAR, for optic cheek weld and visually nicer curves; slightly interferes with the irons, but still do-able.
-- The front of the stock is wider than on my black plastic one, and gives a more secure feel. Free-floated the barrel with a washer and light sanding. Unlike the black one, this one has front-to rear ribbing as well as crosswise, like the RAR stock, and so is a lot stiffer in the front.
-- Over the front Tech Sight is a push-on thread device, which I had a flash hider on. It's held on with set screws, all Loc-tited of course. I found that the heavy flash hider (just an appearance item) was screwing up the barrel harmonics; it became much more accurate when I took it off. So now I have extra-sticky electrical tape as a thread protector, until I can find an inexpensive metal one. Don't feel like coughing up $20 for one.
-- I think the 1/2" long threads are acting like a target crown, to some degree; focusing the powder blast as it leaves the barrel, perhaps enhancing accuracy. Plus it protects the muzzle.
Photo 1

Here you can see the Mcarbo trigger on the Marlin, with pre-travel adjustment. A little pricey, but I like to support him.
-- On the 10/22, you can see my kludgy solution to having both a Tech Sight and an optic. See-thru Leupold rings and a 32mm objective lens give me a good iron-sight pic below the optic. I can shoot with irons, then pop up to see the result with the optic.
-- The sight radius on the irons is 25.5"! This not only enhances accuracy, but also makes any adjustments to either the front or rear sight finer than the same adjustment made with a shorter radius.
Photo 2

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 08-26-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:47 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Better pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2016, 04:56 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Sounds like a shooter! Great going with a stock 10/22...and better than I do with one that has some upgrades. Nice work.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:47 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Sounds like a shooter! Great going with a stock 10/22...and better than I do with one that has some upgrades. Nice work.
Thanks. I just fell in love with this gun. Really performs, and now looks good too!

I already have my ammo picked out for the next shootoff. Pretty much the best stuff from the last one. Six types of Eley from Tenex on down, plus Lapua Midas+, SK Rifle Match, Norma Tac-22, and throwing in CCI AR Tac and Aguila Super Extra. Then for laughs I have Thunderbolt, Fed. Target Grade, Fed. Value Pack, and Remington Golden Bullets! All this will be with the 9X scope, @ 50 yards again.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:20 PM
brodyman0508

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_in_MO View Post
Better pics.

It looks great Tom! I love the look with the scope you mounted on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2016, 10:37 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodyman0508 View Post
It looks great Tom! I love the look with the scope you mounted on it!
I am mortified to admit that I do take looks into consideration. Before, I respected it as a good shooter, especially after taking it out yesterday, with the last little issues all sorted out. But installing your stock really woke the gun up. I'm not happy, looks-wise, with the rear iron sight, but it sure does work well. I plan to shoot both the 9X scope and the irons either this Thursday or next. On Thursdays, I almost have the range to myself. On weekends, it's full. And the problem is two people share a split shooting table, and it is not anchored. So whenever the other guy shoots or even moves, it spoils your shot. Totally sux on the weekends. Thursdays are very relaxing. The rifle side never has more than 3 or 4 people, for 5 split tables; so everyone has their own table.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:21 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
With my Nikon 3-9X. It has a 40mm objective instead of the 32mm one on the PA scope, but I discovered that if I pull off the objective's Butler Creek lens cover, I regain a clear view of the front iron sight. This is shaping up to be an ideal all-around .22, for me; 9X seems like all the magnification I would need out to 70 yards for smaller targets, or 100 yards for zombie heads (just have to find the best 100-yard ammo). This is not a dedicated rimfire scope, however; I might go to a decent 4-12X for that, and slap this scope back on the RAR 22LR or Savage 11 .223. This scope gives me 1 MOA @ 100 on the Savage.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 08-28-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:35 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Weather's looking excellent for Thursday, so I plan to head on over to the range to do some more ammo testing.

I am also going to refine my method a little. I will shoot three rounds at my sight-in target just to re-warm the barrel between ammo types, which require loading a mag, so there is a minute or more for the barrel to cool down; then five rounds for record. I think that's why I got flyers on CCI MM 36gr and AR Tac--the first round of each type were cold-bore shots.

I also want to experiment with the take-down screw torque settings, as they may affect accuracy. Anyway, more to do.....

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 08-28-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Took the 10/22 out again today for some target shooting, with the Nikon 3-9. Same deal as before, 50 yards, bipod, rear bag, c-to-c group measurement.

Forgot to shoot the Tech Sight irons @ 50; sighted 'em in at 25 with CCI MM 36 gr HP, and got a 1.8" group. Have to go back and do it right.

With the scope, I got these results. All are 5-shot groups.

Size.......Ammo type.........Comments
0.48".....Eley Match..........pretty much as expected; NE to SW string; 4 @ 0.33"
0.48".....Eley HV...............as expected; V-shape
0.52".....Lapua Midas+.....yep; one long hole; 4 shots were 0.38"
0.60".....Norma Tac-22.....decent; vertical string
0.60".....Eley Edge...........4 shots were 0.35", "flyer" made it .6

I did shoot 1 or 2 warm-up shots before each 5-shot group, to minimize cold-bore flyers. Didn't seem to make much difference! BTW only a couple of FTFs for about 200 rounds, and none of it was the cheap stuff. No BX-25 feed issues either.

Results of the bulk ammo test. Surprisingly, not as horrible as I expected. I think I'll fool around with bulk some more. Certainly zombie-capable.
0.88".....Remington Golden Bullet (4 @ .73")
1.20".....Remington Thunderbolt (4 @ .62"), Fed. Target Grade (4 @ .73"), Fed. Value Pack (4 @ .73")

So with the right ammo, it's a 1-MOA (or slightly better) gun @ 50. But 100 may be another story.....thinking Nikon 4-12.....

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 09-01-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:55 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Nice reports and pictures Tom. I love seeing new folks getting involved in shooting sports

Everybody has a different idea on targets but for cheap and easy most Office Supply stores carry Avery colored 1/4" self adhesive dots. 8-10 of those on a sheet of copy paper make a pretty good "groups" target at a cost of 4-5 cents. A little harder to measure groups than cardstock but close enough for most. Just make sure your point of aim is offset from point of impact so you don't wipe out the dot.

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Pro...ount_06720.htm

Have fun!

Frank
Old 09-01-2016, 06:04 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Nice reports and pictures Tom. I love seeing new folks getting involved in shooting sports

Everybody has a different idea on targets but for cheap and easy most Office Supply stores carry Avery colored 1/4" self adhesive dots. 8-10 of those on a sheet of copy paper make a pretty good "groups" target at a cost of 4-5 cents. A little harder to measure groups than cardstock but close enough for most. Just make sure your point of aim is offset from point of impact so you don't wipe out the dot.

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Pro...ount_06720.htm

Have fun!

Frank
Thanx 4 the tip on the dots. I just bought a pack of 100 Eley thin cardboard targets for $20 from Killoughs. I have used one so far today! It has 25 bullseye targets 1/2" across, each in a 2" x 1.5" square. As long as I don't shoot the subsonic above the supersonic, I have no issues with shots blending together. I like 'em for 50, but they won't cut it at 100 with this gun, unless I only shoot at half of them.

Those light colored dots, like yellow, can still be used on colored paper that gives a good contrast. So along with the dots, a ream of assorted color paper would be a good investment too.

I like the shoot-n-see stick on dots too, because if you wipe it out, it leaves the yellow-green glue behind, which is a good target in itself.

My next gun purchase will be the closest rival to the CZ 452--the Mossberg 702 Plinkster. Also excellent for Alaska big game, my LGS salesman tells me. I just want to see what a $112 Wal-Mart gun can do! I've already ordered the lighter trigger spring from Mcarbo, and will be doing trigger work and making sure the barrel is free-floated. 6X scope @ 50 yards. Should be good for some grins.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 09-01-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:44 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Old 10-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Went out today and shot the 10/22 @ 50 and 100, with Tech Sights iron sights. Slight breeze, bipod, rear bag. I used CCI SV, MM 36gr HP, and Velocitor. All groups are 10 shots, but some only got 8 or 9 on paper (stick-on targets too close to edge of paper), so I am reporting the closest 8, and 9/10 if available. These were the only groups shot, not the best of X groups.

50 yards
8 shots....9 shots....10 shots....Ammunition

1.40".......1.75"........NA............SV
1.50".......................2.25".........MM (9 & 10 very close together)
1.20".......1.40"........2.25"........Velocitor

100 yards
8 shots....9 shots....10 shots....Ammunition

2.50".......NA...........NA............SV
2.88".......3.40"........NA............MM
2.75".......................4.00".........Velocito r (9 & 10 very close together)

This goes to show just how good Tech Sights are! My RAR 22LR (my most accurate 22), with my 12X Nikon scope @ 100 yards, got this 10-shot group size with the above MM:
8 shots...................10 shots
2.30".......................3.25"

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 12-15-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shot the 10/22 today @ 100 yards. Bipod, rear bag, Tech Sights iron sights, stock sporter barrel, stock bolt, DIY trigger work at 3.0#. All were 10-shot groups, with two flyers thrown out to make 8-shot groups. I wanted to try better ammo than CCI SV, just to probe the gun's/my capabilities. I just shot one group of each ammo. Winds were 10 - 15 mph, but coming from behind me thankfully.
10 shots....8 shots....Ammunition
3.20".........2.38".......Eley Match
3.45".........1.95".......Eley Edge
3.20".........1.88".......Eley Contact
2.50".........1.25".......CCI SV
Yep, no kidding. The cheaper the ammo got, the better it shot!

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 12-15-2018 at 09:14 PM.