Savage Mark II Plastic stock, 2nd action screw and bedding questions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-27-2004, 01:21 PM
ben_n

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage Mark II Plastic stock, 2nd action screw and bedding questions

I have a Savage Mark II stainless in plastic stock. There is only one action screw ahead the magazine housing, and I don't like this. I am thinking of adding another screw to secure the action better. One place I am looking is the rear stud. I think I can drill and tap a hole in the stud. The stud seems big enough to put a #10 screw into it. And of course drill a hole through the stock, and use a long screw to tighten the action down. Has anybody done this or have any suggestions?

The other thing in my mind is to bed the action. I have filled the cavity in the stock and bedded the action from afront the magazine housing to the front end of the action, but did not bed the barrel. There is a slot in the barrel near the rear end. I was thinking to bed the barrel to the slot and use the slot to as a recoil tang. It can also help to stop any rotation movement of the barrel. But I am afraid this will interfere with the rear stud, i.e., the action and barrel are contrained by both the rear stud and the slot in the stock. When temperature changes, and the stock shrinks or expends, the fit will change. So I haven't done it yet. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

-- Ben
Old 08-27-2004, 07:55 PM
4eyes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check the exploded views in your instruction manual. My manual shows a dual takedown variation where one of the trigger/mag housing screws (part 752230) is replaced with a stock assembly stud (part 752229)and a stock assembly screw which then gives you two anchor points. I do not think tapping the rear stud would do much.

On the model 93 the slot at the rear of the barrel has a recoil lug attached. It would probably fit on a Mark II.

I had the plastic stock on my 9317 but replaced it with a wooden one (pics soon). I bedded it from in front of the magazine to past the recoil lug. The recoil lug should contact the bedding material only at the rear. I had electrician's tape on the front and bottom of the recoil lug when I bedded it.

With the plastic stock my suggestionis to place a washer under the stock assembly screws because the plastic won't stand up to too much tightening.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:29 PM
sawdust

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Call Savage

Tell them you want the second action hold down assembly for your gun. I have received two for my Mark II's free of charge from Savage. The Mark II assembly consists of a post, spacer, lock washer and the hold down screw. Check your manual before you call so that you know exactly what you're asking for.

Good luck

sawdust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2004, 10:21 AM
finebead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does the second action hold down assembly also work on the Mark II BV, with the laminated wood stock, or is it just for the plastic stocks?
Old 08-28-2004, 12:10 PM
sawdust

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
finebead

I can't say for sure if the second action hold down works directly with the BV, no first hand experience with the laminated stock, but I would bet that if it doesn't it would be a simple project to make it work once you had the parts.

Good luck

sawdust
Old 08-29-2004, 08:24 AM
ben_n

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks all for your info.

My exact model is Mark II FSS. I don't have a manual. I went into savage's wetsite, but couldn't find the exact manual for plastic stock. All the models shown in their manual seem to have 2 stock screws. I'll call Savage to ask.

4eyes said there is a recoil tang and he bedded it. Is there a rear stud as well? If there is, do you think there is any problem when the stock expand or shrink more than the action?