Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:57 PM
drshame

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Adjustable Triggers for Browning Buckmarks

There are quite a few Buckmark Adjustable Trigger Products available now to go along with the stock unit if you do your homework and find what you need and what you can afford. It's not hard to find brand-made, professionally produced products, and homemade versions that look and function just as well.
There may be many more on the market now, but these are a few I recently found and tried.

The latest player is Tandemkross' Victory, in smooth face and textured.

They are both nicely finished and come with set screws and a small allen wrench to adjust them.

The kit included easy enough instructions, and it took about 15 minutes to install and check the function, which seemed fine.
Installing and setting the over-travel screw in all of them was a super pain for my fat fingers.
But I eventually got it done. The Victory seemed to function and release the sear fine.
But every now and then during a dry firing test, it seemed not to reset properly. That could be because I had a plastic dry wall plug in the breach and it wouldn't simulate the actual firing force from a live round.

What about a home-brew product?
One of our forum members makes a very nice flat-bladed brass or aluminum unit with a set screw.
It comes with excellent instructions and even some drywall anchors for dry firing testing.
Everything fit and worked fine. But I would be a little concerned the polished brass might discolor after a while and need a little polishing.
Though aged-brass looks nice too.
And looks don't effect the actual function, which in this case seemed rock-solid.
I cannot stress enough between the install sheet, supplied allen wrench, and dry firing anchors, this was the most complete kit I've found.
It showed no machine marks, came nicely finished, and installed/worked fine.

Here's a professional gunsmith's all stainless steel trigger next to a stock Buckmark unit.
It includes a nice bit of nylon on the end of the set-screw so it wouldn't mar the finish inside the trigger well.
It felt nice with rounded edges, looks first class and feels great.
I was eagerly awaiting getting it installed to see how it worked BUT......
The pivot pin wouldn't easily go into the trigger hole...It seemed too big for the pivot hole in the trigger.
I tried up to the point I knew I shouldn't force it anymore, and it still wouldn't fit in.
But my Buckmark Trigger Pivot pin worked fine in all the others.
I spoke with the manufacturer, who told me in some cases Browning used a thicker pivot pin that needed a little bit larger pivot hole in the trigger. He offered to swap out the one that didn't fit with one reamed a little bigger. It installed fine, but wouldn't release the sear. I took off the slide and barrel and everything seemed to be in place and working as expected. I re-installed an adjustable trigger that worked before, and it worked just fine.
Very nicely made stainless steel trigger, but this amateur 'Smith couldn't get it to work and the others installed fine. The maker says some newer Buckmarks are very sensitive how deep the disconnector pin is set, and the depth of the pin needs to be carefully adjusted to function properly.

There are very good deals to be had on a Well-Known Rimfire makers' Adjustable Buckmark trigger that it's apparently not marketing anymore.
Volquartsen sold a very nice adjustable Stainless Steel Buckmark Trigger a while ago.. But it's apparently closed them out on Ebay and Sportsman's Guide.
In some cases, you can get them for under $20, not including shipping/insurance charges and it's a very nice looking product that's up to their high standards for finish and ergonomics.
It ships with no installation instructions or adjusting wrench.
So you're on your own with getting it installed and properly adjusted.
Like an earlier Stainless Steel Trigger I reviewed, the pivot pin hole was too tight and I had to work it with a punch to get the pin to go in without forcing it with a small hammer.
The disconnector pin was tight, but installed fine with a little work too.
Would this be the simple "Drop-In" that finally gave me a traditional trigger with an adjustment for over-travel, right out of the box?
I hoped so for the price and quality of the product. BUT........
After putting everything back together, a very familiar olde problem hit once again: The trigger wouldn't release the sear. There wasn't enough travel to move the disconnecter enough to release the sear and trip the hammer. The disconnector pin was fine, the trigger swung freely back and forth, but the rear shoulder hit the frame and wouldn't allow it to move enough to trip the sear.
I contacted Scott Volquartsen, and explained the problem. I wanted to see what his hardened extractor and hammer would do anyways, so I sent the trigger and frame to him to be set up properly for me. It came back 10 days later, feels very crisp and I'll see how if feels on the range. The turn-around time was about 10 working days and the cost was $117.00, parts and labor. His trigger also works fine now. I'll try to see what they had to do to get it to function in my Buckmark.
Maybe it needs some hand-fitting to shave the rear shoulder back, maybe it's a little out of spec, maybe there's a variation in some dimensions with Buckmark Frames and Firing Mechanisms.
I don't know.
A VQ customer service tech told me he had NOT heard of this problem before and if I wanted to buy and pay them a $45 fee to installed their Buckmark hammer, they'd install the trigger at the same time for no extra charge. It's another option to consider, but between parts, shipping and installation charges, I figure it could be about a $150 project. Got a chance to speak with Scott Volquartsen today on the phone. Got thru with no problem. He agreed to ether refund the trigger price, or try installing it for no extra charge with the purchase and installation of his other Buckmark parts. He even agreed to waive the shipping charges because of the problem with his trigger installation. That's the kind of customer support I'd hope to see industry-wide, but haven't. Big Thumbs Up for trying to satisfy a new customer.

What about the OEM Buckmark Adjustable trigger seen at the right side of the group?

Typical Browning quality, nice gold anodizing to match the stock unit, but casting marks were visible.
You'd think going with a stock Buckmark Item would almost guarantee a perfect fit, but you'd be wrong.
My 3-4 year old Buckmark Hunter took the install just fine....pins fit, no hiccups at all.
So what's the problem?
It wouldn't fire.
Specifically, the trigger wouldn't move rearward enough to release the sear.
Even with the set-screw removed, it wouldn't travel back enough to fire.
I believe the back of the trigger is too fat to swing back enough even with the screw completely backed out.
I could "bubba" it and start dremeling the metal in the back to make it a little thinner, but that's not what I want to do on my gun.
To double check everything I re-installed the stock Buckmark trigger and it worked fine.

Bottom Line:

There are a growing number of adjustable trigger options out there now. Prices range from about $30-$40, not including shipping.
Super deals can be found from forum members who are interested in helping out other Buckmark Owners.
Paying more may give you a nicer finished product, but if it doesn't fit, is hard to install or just won't work, its not a good deal at all.

In the interest of full disclosure, the members' flat bladed brass trigger kit was supplied for free to help me out.
He doesn't make them commercially and doesn't want the business or the publicity.

The professionally made Stainless Steel trigger cost me about $20, I believe it too included a small allen wrench for the set screw.
As I mentioned, there was no offer of a refund.

The Buckmark Adjustable came with no install instructions at all and no plastic anchors to test it out and was bought from a big name distributor. I haven't asked for my money back.

The Tandemkross Triggers had a nice install sheet and allen wrench included to adjust it.
I've been in touch with them for a while and urged them to develop the product and answered questions about my Buckmark's Trigger system.
They supplied the test triggers for this review, no charge.

If you buy a new trigger system for your Buckmark, remember there are variations in the Pistol and the Product.
Professional gunsmiths need to eat too, and I always urge friends to check with their local "smiths first to support them and keep their doors open.
And its always a good idea to know a vendors' return / refund policy BEFORE ordering anything from them.

Range time is now on my schedule to see how my first choice works out.

So, what's staying in?

Ask me if you see me at my local range.
I'll save you a few rounds of the good stuff to try it out.

For any photo enthusiast: all pix come from my Iphone 6, with some post-processing with IPhotos. Works too well to take out the big Digital SLR, imho. Bedroom lighting in almost all pix, with some needing phone-flash for details.

Last edited by drshame; 04-15-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:34 PM
27 Beck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Thanks for the pics and great review on BuckMark triggers.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:45 PM
drshame

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From Tandemkross, if I hear from any other manufacturers or critics, I'll pass it along:

"Thanks for the review. Some feedback,take it as you may. You might want to comment on the texturing. We didn't take that risk without prior research. For the speed shooters the texturing is a must have for repeatable and identical trigger pulls (regardless of moisture) and was born from many requests/beta feedback from various pro shooters. Also you might want to mention there is an ongoing debate between flat faced and curved triggers in the market. Flat faced typically have a lower trigger pull weight the lower you pull on them due to their actuation point. They are also often preferred by pro shooters because it's easy to tell if you are pulling too far left or right. This is deceptive on a curved trigger. Again, this isn't marketing fluff but direct feedback from the market and the many many competition speed championships we have attended.

I also know opinion plays a large role in reviews too but wanted to make sure you knew we did our homework before bringing anything to market."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2016, 10:09 PM
GtrPlyr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice review, drshame. Thanks for that.

You guys have me worried now. Out of a sample (so far) of three of us, who installed the TK trigger - I seem to be the only one who has been trouble free.

I have to say that agree with the feedback from them about the texturing. I even commented about that in my installation thread, too. Flat face + texture is my preferred trigger for speed shooting.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:09 AM
remnar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the reviews drshame. The TK trigger looks like it has the potential to be a flat-faced winner but might need some slight tweaking. One thing that does really bug me about the TK trigger though is the placement of the OT screw. It's just my opinion, but I think it looks really funny at the bottom of the trigger and you will surely mar the gun where the sharp edge of the screw contacts the frame.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:07 PM
drshame

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
" I think it looks really funny at the bottom of the trigger and you will surely mar the gun where the sharp edge of the screw contacts the frame."

+1, agree 100%.

I put 150 rounds thru my Hunter today, trigger worked fine and re-set fine using live rounds. Had some "stove pipe" jams with the Eley Club I was using, but that could be a tight throat issue when it gets a few rounds downrange.

The TK seems to place the trigger face a little further forward than some others. I don't know if I like that...for accuracy I think I'd rather be able to have a straight pull back. For me, I'm not getting my finger tip flush with it, it's basically pulling into the right side which I think could be introducing some un-intended "torque" to the trigger pull.
That could potentially effect accuracy imho.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:19 PM
GtrPlyr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interestingly enough... that "forwardness" of the trigger is one of the things that I like most about it. It allows me to square-up my finger better on the trigger face and get a better directly rearward pull.

It's odd how something can affect some folks negatively and others positively.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:55 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrPlyr View Post
Interestingly enough... that "forwardness" of the trigger is one of the things that I like most about it. It allows me to square-up my finger better on the trigger face and get a better directly rearward pull.

It's odd how something can affect some folks negatively and others positively.
The forward position is something I like too, you're not going to please every one.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:31 PM
drshame

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"you're not going to please every one."
Ain't it the truth!
Maybe I have short fingers, it's a very personal "fit" issue.

Not a complaint, just an observation.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:58 PM
geokay86
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Members flat brass/aluminum trigger

I read with interest your review of alternative triggers for the Buck Mark pistol. I have 5 Buck Mark pistols. Three have the stock trigger, one has a Buck Mark trigger with set screw. The fifth I have just installed the Tandemkross victory trigger and will test it at the range tomorrow. I really like the looks of the members flat brass/aluminum trigger. Should the member decide to offer it to other members, I would very much like to know. Thanks George
Old 03-07-2016, 01:03 AM
drshame

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you have any issues installing the Browning adjustable?
if fit fine in my Hunter, but wouldn't swing back far enough to release the sear.
Either the disconnector pin locked up, or the trigger was too fat to move far enough back to work properly.
I had the same problem with another trigger too. But the stock Buckmark, Tandemkross and Members' flat-bladed brass worked fine as soon as I installed them. Go figure.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:24 AM
geokay86

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had no problems at all installing the Tandemkross trigger. I put it in the frame of a Camper SS UFX manufactured in 2013. I was going to the range this morning but the plans changed. It seems to work fine but firing it will confirm its success.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:32 AM
geokay86

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Browning adjustable trigger came with the Buck Mark when I purchased it. That pistol is a field pro target manufactured in 2007.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:43 PM
drshame

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it possible some triggers may not be simple "Drop-Ins" and require some giunsmiting to make fit?
I can understand making tolerances tight so each one has to be hand-fitted for the closest tolerances to work right. But I don't know if I like th idea of buying a product without being warned first it may need some "tweaking" to work properly.
I can say the brass "homemade" trigger I got fit fine and worked right out of the box, along with the Tandemkross. The Browning Adjustable didn't work along with one from another 'smith. So either my Buckmark is a little weird, or some aftermarket products need some extra hand fitting to work.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:09 PM
remnar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshame View Post
Is it possible some triggers may not be simple "Drop-Ins" and require some giunsmiting to make fit?
I can understand making tolerances tight so each one has to be hand-fitted for the closest tolerances to work right. But I don't know if I like th idea of buying a product without being warned first it may need some "tweaking" to work properly.
I can say the brass "homemade" trigger I got fit fine and worked right out of the box, along with the Tandemkross. The Browning Adjustable didn't work along with one from another 'smith. So either my Buckmark is a little weird, or some aftermarket products need some extra hand fitting to work.
drshame, I wish we didn't live in opposite corners of the country, because you've made me so curious to figure out what is going on with your pistol and those triggers. I don't think that a factory Browning trigger should require any fitting but I could be wrong. One thing I do know is that if the pins and other internals are not put back properly, then it can effect the trigger. I hate not knowing what the problem is.