Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:18 AM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New M&P 15-22 with Issues

I have a new M&P 15-22, and it's having some issues.

First and foremost, the thing stovepipes frequently, about 1-3 times for every 5 shots. It's beyond annoying. I initially assumed it might be a break-in issue, but we've shot about 300-400 rounds through it now, and it hasn't gotten any better. It happens with multiple types/brands of ammo, including Federal Auto-Match, CCI AR Tactical, CCI Mini-Mag HP, and Federal 510. We've mostly shot Federal Auto-Match and CCI AR Tactical, and it happens noticeably more often with the Auto-Match, but it does happen with the CCI, too. We only have 1 mag right now, so I can't rule out a mag issue. It can happen with any round in the magazine (i.e. it's not just the first or last round, etc.). Yes, we cleaned & lubed it before first use. Yes, it's been cleaned & lubed after each trip to the range. Yes, it happens to everyone who shoots it. I'm familiar with pistols and bolt guns, but this is our first AR-style gun, so maybe I'm just not lubing some important spot, but the manual doesn't give any helpful advice on exactly what needs lube, so any suggestions are welcome.

Second, the bolt stays back after the last round most of the time, but not always. I'd say, maybe 1 out of 5 times, it doesn't stay back. It's not a huge problem, but it's not right. Any idea what would cause this to happen, but only occasionally?

Third, the grip handle is loose. I stuck a 3/16" hex wrench down there and turned the hex head screw that you can see, but it didn't make any difference. I'm guessing that the nut on the other side is just spinning, too, which is why it's not getting tighter, but I can't see the other side, so I'm just guessing; maybe the threads are stripped. And idea how to tighten the handle?

I bought this primarily for my son, as the first gun that's actually for him. He's being a good sport about it, but you can tell that he's deeply disappointed that it's having so many issues. We went to the range today, and the M&P 15-22, despite being the "cool, new gun", got the least attention, because, well, who wants to use a gun that jams every 2-3 rounds?

Any suggestions or assistance with this would be much appreciated. Should I send it back to Smith & Wesson? Any thoughts on their service reputation and / or turn-around time? Do they pay shipping?

In case it matters, it's a "state compliant" model, with the 10-round long magazine, fixed stock, and no brake/hider/comp on the end of the barrel.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
A shame you got a lemon, but yes, contact S&W... they will usually issue a shipping label (pay shipping), their turn-around time and service is nearly always reported to be excellent, so I'm sure they'll take good care of you.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:39 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Get another magazine and try again. I have one mag that did that, the others are fine. I have several thousand rounds down the pipe with very few hiccups, save that one mag. I also run dry spray lube One Shot, on the internals, no oil. Good luck.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 03:22 PM
613jmm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You probably just have a magazine problem, or you might be able to bend the extractor and get the gun to work, but since the screw in the grip spins freely, the hole in the receiver is probably stripped. That alone is reason enough to send it back. There is no nut that it screws into. You will also probably get a replacement rifle, unless they decide to helicoil it.

I would call them for an RMA. When you talk to them, tell them you bought a new rifle and make sure they understand it has multiple problems. You don't want to send it in and they fix the extraction problems, and send it back with the loose grip. Make sure they know the screw spins freely and make sure they understand to fix both of your problems.

I sent one of the early ones in because it shot extremely low. I had 18 clicks adjustment on the front sight and it still needed a few more, but my tool wouldn't fit any further in the hole and allow me to spin the sight. I told them I was sending it in for shooting low, and all they did was replace all the springs and extractor to the latest parts, and sent it back, still shooting low. That was when they had upgraded the springs and extractor because the first few guns were blowing their extractors out. Or maybe it was an ejector.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:57 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Say, I did not ask, is it stovepiping on feeding or extraction? Silly of me to miss that. If feeding, mag, if extracting, dirty/sticky chamber or extractor.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Make sure the extractor is still in place!

My normally very reliable 15-22 started having the occasional stovepipe (1 every second or third magazine) and after the third or fourth one I took a close look at the bolt and the extractor, plunger & spring were missing. Didn't notice anything obvious like a blown out case before the problem started. I replaced the extractor, plunger & spring and haven't had any more problems in the last 10K rounds.

Nolan
Old 12-07-2015, 09:32 PM
andyk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I probably have 7 or 8K rounds through mine, more than half were automatch and I can count on one hand the failures. I did have one factory 25 rd mag that gave me a few issues when new but worked itself out. Sorry you're having issues, I'd send it back.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:15 AM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Say, I did not ask, is it stovepiping on feeding or extraction? Silly of me to miss that. If feeding, mag, if extracting, dirty/sticky chamber or extractor.
Sorry for the delay in responding, yesterday was crazy at work.

It's stovepiping the empty cases. As far as I can tell, it feeds fine from the magazine into the chamber. It's just that, after it fires, the bolt catches the empty casing. Sometimes they are the classic stovepipe (where one end of the shell sticking out, and the other end is crushed between the bolt and the breech). And sometimes the casing is caught lengthwise (where the back of the case is against the bolt, and the mouth of the case is against the back of the barrel).

I suspect that it's an issue with the extractor or ejector, but I'm totally new to this gun, and also totally new to AR-style guns in general, so I really have no experience to go on.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:28 AM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Get another magazine and try again. I have one mag that did that, the others are fine. I have several thousand rounds down the pipe with very few hiccups, save that one mag. I also run dry spray lube One Shot, on the internals, no oil. Good luck.
I have ordered another mag (a 10-round short), but it hasn't been delivered yet. I'm very tempted to try it before I send it back, just to eliminate the mag as the source of the stovepipes (and/or the failure to lock back after the last round). But I'll be calling S&W about it today or tomorrow, so I might send it back before the new mag arrives.

Thanks for the suggestion, and the advice about oiling. I'm generally a less-is-more-with-oil-in-my-guns guy, but I'm willing to learn, if the 15-22 is different.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:34 AM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
Make sure the extractor is still in place!

My normally very reliable 15-22 started having the occasional stovepipe (1 every second or third magazine) and after the third or fourth one I took a close look at the bolt and the extractor, plunger & spring were missing. Didn't notice anything obvious like a blown out case before the problem started. I replaced the extractor, plunger & spring and haven't had any more problems in the last 10K rounds.

Nolan
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check the extractor tonight. Just out of curiosity, should the hook of the extractor be flush with, or a little in front of the bolt face when the bolt is retracted? My recollection is that mine seemed farther back than I would have expected (nearly flush), based on other .22LR guns I have. I did a quick search for 15-22 extractor images, but didn't see one that showed clearly how far the hook is from the bolt face.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:38 AM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 613jmm View Post
You probably just have a magazine problem, or you might be able to bend the extractor and get the gun to work, but since the screw in the grip spins freely, the hole in the receiver is probably stripped. That alone is reason enough to send it back. There is no nut that it screws into. You will also probably get a replacement rifle, unless they decide to helicoil it.

I would call them for an RMA. When you talk to them, tell them you bought a new rifle and make sure they understand it has multiple problems.
Thank you for the info about the grip screw and how it attaches.
Thank you also for the advice when talking to S&W Service; good to know.
All good advice, and much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:00 PM
photoracer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Also you don't need to clean it that often. I used one in Steel Challenge and Ruger Rimfire for 4 years and never had an issue. I cleaned it every 1k-2k rounds at most.
As for your problem check to see if the extractor, plunger, and spring are still in the bolt as was mentioned by Nolan. That sounds exactly like what would happen if it was lost. I have seen that happen.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:19 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I don't clean the bore regularly, but I do brush and mop the chamber after several hundred rounds. I have read a few stories about OOB discharges with them, and the resultant loss of the extractor, and broken mags. If you check, you will see that the hammer will release way before the bolt is fully in battery.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:20 AM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I checked, and yes, the extractor itself is still there.

I called S&W Customer Service, and they emailed me a pre-paid mailing label, so that I can send it back to them. Hopefully they'll make it run right.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:30 PM
olllian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rdas i had the same problem. Push down the extractor towards the bolt make it .010 -.030 gap. Make sure u dont push to far. I have not had a jam with auto match or any other brand.