Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-01-2002, 07:53 PM
mcb
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Black groundhogs?

I commute about 35 minute drive to and from school.  I live in one of the eastern suburbs of Cleveland and go to school at Case Western Reserve University in east side of down town Cleveland.  About half way between the two along the highway I see a pair of black groundhogs.  They are not just dark brown but black as coal.  Theres a big female and her pup.   I saw the little one first and thought it was a black cat, but have seen them several times.  I have tried three times to get a photo but my digital camera does not have zoom and they just show up as black specs on the images.   I will keep trying and will post a link if I get a good picture.  But have any of you seen black groundhog?  I did not think they were ever black.  I have see dark brown ones and others that were almost blond but I had never seen a black one untill last week.

Later
mcb
Old 05-02-2002, 04:59 AM
RealBow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re: Black groundhogs?

Hey mcb,

I live in central OH....after some 500+ confirmed ghogs...Ive only seen one black hog and missed (350+ yrds with a .243 years and years ago!!!)

Probably just as well.....sorta like the piebald fawn I saw back in 99 during bow season. Not a true rarity, just a recessive gene surfacing. The poor fawn never made it thru the first shotgun season....she stuck out like a sore thumb!!
Old 05-02-2002, 05:52 AM
Warner Will

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Back when I was a teen....20+ years ago.... my twin and I were hunting chucks and we knew of one large chuck that could see EVERYWHERE (almost) from his location...hed spy us and scoot ...we hunted him for almost a solid summer without success.
We didnt have the AT&T rifles we have now, so CQB was in order.   I held back (dangerous mission..I hate being point man  ::) ) and My twin went a sneaking up the hedgerow....to within 20 yards or so of where this wary fella lived...up came the 12 guage !!...blam....
One 12 lb (estimate...probably close..but who knows) solid BLACK woodchuck lay dead...for some reason, we didnt eat that one..so it went right back down the hole.
That was the Largest woodchuck Ive ever seen...and the only black one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2002, 09:38 AM
Plinker
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

The Foothills of the Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

Never seen a black hog, but one
hollow I hunt has some that are
blonde colored.It must be in
there genes,because others not
to far away look like regular
hogs,reddish brown.
Just a thought.

Goodluck & Goodshootin.
Old 05-11-2002, 08:44 AM
Dean_311

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My guess would be that it is in the genes.  You said you saw two of them?  Possibly a male and female.  Its just like anyother animal, kinda like an albino only black.  Just my .02 worth.

Dean_311
Old 05-11-2002, 10:33 AM
Viper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Viper

I would also have to say that it is in the genes.....

And, for everyones information.....Albino animals dont have to be completely white.....Albinism is just a complete lack of melanin.....Melanin is the pigment that produces the color black.

Albino burmese pythons are yellow/orange and white.

So, a black groundhog would be showing characteristics of a melanistic animal, i.e. only exhibiting the colors of the black spectrum.

The blonde ones would probably be hypo-melanistic, which is reduced melanin, therefore not as dark as "normal" groundhogs......

Boy.....What a person can learn from raising albino and ghost ball pythons and every type of cornsnake imagineable!
Old 05-11-2002, 10:30 PM
cush66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Maybe EXXON was there LOL :o Just kidding guys.....I couldnt resist ;D I cant help in the original question because I never saw one in real life....of any color hehheh
Old 05-23-2002, 02:43 PM
coyoteTm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

if you hog hunting on the net you will find a site with black and albino hogs but cant remember the site
Old 06-07-2015, 09:30 PM
chuksnipr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been hunting chuks in the central part of pa for about 20 years now and I have only ever seen one black chuk. I never got to throw any lead in his direction because the land owner would not give me permission when I asked. I seen him for two years and then never seen him again.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:45 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have seen a lot of them but never a black one.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe you were just seeing their shadows.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:51 AM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I took one (black) yrs ago.
Have also shot a few black chucks with long gold/blonde manes (hair spaced around though- and thin).
Have recently seen a couple of solid tone brown, reddish. Looks like they're made of southwestern clay.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:54 PM
454ho

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
This MUST be some kind of record... a 13 year old thread revived.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454ho View Post
This MUST be some kind of record... a 13 year old thread revived.
It's sad to think that all the black groundhogs that were alive when this thread was started are likely dead now. Maybe not sad, more funny.

Maybe there are more black ones around now? Perhaps this will become the new groundhog hunting thread.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:22 PM
poochie

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Here's one I walked up on this afternoon. No rifle, just my camera. Not a black one and not the best picture since I was shooting into the sun, but it gives you a visual of a good example. Probably fattening up on this fine Nov. day to go into hibernation as soon as it gets cold enough.