25 & 50 Yd Offhand Rifle Matches – Post all match scores & discussion here ! - Page 334 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:16 AM
kingrider
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Lol, It just seems so much tougher at 50 for me. I’ll just keep working at it.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm still here guys... working on the Sept boards. With any luck i'll have them up by tonite.
Cheers
Bob
Old 10-07-2019, 03:42 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4BVM View Post
I'm still here guys... working on the Sept boards. With any luck i'll have them up by tonite.

Cheers

Bob
Okay, good to hear from you.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, just too many irons in the fire for me lately !
I thought i'd shoot more once I retired but I seem to be busier than ever
I guess it's like they say , "I don't know how I ever had time for work..."
Maybe I just need to schedule my shooting time, that's how I got things done at work; if it wasn't on the schedule, it didn't happen !
But, no complaints from me, life is good, I've been blessed with more than I could ever deserve.

B

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 10-07-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wrapping up our 7th year !

7 years, 5000 posts and still going strong !
So here we are wrapping up our 7th year of great offhand shooting. Good to see how this thing has taken on a life of its own.
As i work on putting together the September scoreboards i can't help but smile at all the enthusiasm you all have shown for this simplest yet most challenging form of shooting.
I thought i'd share a few stats on the match, so here are some basic numbers gleaned from our scoreboard/history charts.
I will try to update this from time to time.
Just a glimpse of what you guys & gals have accomplished over the years...

O/H MATCH STATS UPDATED SEPT2019

First Match October 2012
Months to Date 83
Total participants 121
Avg Monthly Entries 21.47
Highest Month Entries 50
Total Entries 1782
Total Rounds Shot for Entries 89100
Estim.Total Rounds-Practice 267300

Here's to many more years of shooting enjoyment with all of you. Though we may never meet, I consider each of you a friend.
All the best,
Bob4BVM

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 10-07-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:28 PM
kingrider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Awesome stats. Thanks Bob!
Old 10-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Purple Bikerr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I am kinda surprised that there has only been 121 shooters.

This game is great practice for hunting.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:08 PM
Merle
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As we used to say "anyone can shoot from the bench - stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man"
Old 10-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle View Post
As we used to say "anyone can shoot from the bench - stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man"

Yeah. I have a little discussion in the rules section on that piece of wisdom Merle. Our late Joe Haller was a big O/H proponent, as well as an inspiration to me.

I have tried going back to benchrest a few times in the past 7 years. Takes me about one 5-shot group to get bored stiff.
I still remember when I started trying to get some of the RFC BR shooters interested in an offhand competition. I posted a few of my targets which in those days would run in the 430's to 450's on a good day. One of the BR guys made this comment- "Bob, that's not a group, it's a pattern ! " Have not seen him try this game yet tho…

So as David says above, we've had "only 121" shooters try this out . There are 156,000+ RFC members... As Cowboy says. we're a rare breed of shooter. Guess he's right.

Cheers
Bob

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 10-07-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:38 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4BVM View Post
7 years, 5000 posts and still going strong !
So here we are wrapping up our 7th year of great offhand shooting. Good to see how this thing has taken on a life of its own.
As i work on putting together the September scoreboards i can't help but smile at all the enthusiasm you all have shown for this simplest yet most challenging form of shooting.
I thought i'd share a few stats on the match, so here are some basic numbers gleaned from our scoreboard/history charts.
I will try to update this from time to time.
Just a glimpse of what you guys & gals have accomplished over the years...

O/H MATCH STATS UPDATED SEPT2019

First Match October 2012
Months to Date 83
Total participants 121
Avg Monthly Entries 21.47
Highest Month Entries 50
Total Entries 1782
Total Rounds Shot for Entries89100
Estim.Total Rounds-Practice 267300

Here's to many more years of shooting enjoyment with all of you. Though we may never meet, I consider each of you a friend.
All the best,
Bob4BVM
Cheers, bottoms up, but only one, back to the range tomorrow.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:01 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Bikerr View Post
I am kinda surprised that there has only been 121 shooters.
I joined here 17 years ago but this subforum wasn't on my radar until just a short time ago. When I had CZs, I popped in to look at the CZ subforum. When I started with ARs, I looked at that subforum. It never occurred to me to look down here.

I drive an hour and a quarter to get to a range, so I don't do it as often as I would like. Inevitably, as I raise my rifle to shoot the fifth target, someone calls a ceasefire. Moreover, that range is closed from Thanksgiving to March.

On the plus side, this is actual shooting. I use a bench to test rifles, but these targets test me. Sometimes I don't pass that test. I tried at 50 yards, posted my best target and brought up the rear on that month's scores. Even at the 25, I've had the impression that I had done well only to do the math and see that I hadn't.

That brings up the difference in culture. Some of you have some very fine rifles, but we know this isn't an equipment race. We all know what its like to ruin an otherwise good target, or have a worse than average target. Accordingly, he culture is one of encouragement. I've never seen a post here belittling a score or a shooter. I wish we saw more of that culture where people new to 22lr riflery ask for advice. (To be fair, that culture can also be seen in the Appleseed forum.)
Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 AM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wow Zuk,thank you for explaining what you go through to get a score up, and thank you for doing it. I really appreciate this online match and it wouldn't be possible without a strong though small dedicated group, so glad to get to know some of you. On the teaching part I think that is very difficult for many of us, but Bob is very good and insightful about it. I tried to help my brother a little when we were in Boy Scouts and about 10 or 11,the leader just said you worry about you and I'll do the coaching. Then as an adult a mentor was talked into holding a seminar on position shooting, I showed up so excited to get good instruction. I was the only one who showed up, and he said you already know how to shoot, I am going home. I'm sure he was just not good at knowing how to teach comfortably, but it was a let down for me, I was in awe of his shooting ability.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:23 PM
holmegaard
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm loving this game!

It's a rare bird among the shooting sports... as some have already mentioned, the price of your equipment has little bearing on your scores, just need something that fits well (which, admittedly, might take a few purchasing mistakes to find).

It's getting me interested in rimfire silhouette too. After much searching, finally found a club within driving distance that hosts a few per year, going to give it a shot. Would love to do CMP rimfire sporter too, but no joy finding anything within a day's drive.

Seems a shame that games like these, with relatively low barriers to entry, aren't more widespread & popular:
- possible to be competitive with moderately priced equipment
- don't need frequent access to super long ranges
- few/no expensive accessories needed

Nothing at all against bench rest, long range, action shooting etc. All good stuff, & hope for nothing but growth in their ranks.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:44 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
*******scoped practice 25yrd 10/7/19*****

475-9X

STRUGL4X'SC,56

Northern California

Anschutz 1411

Weaver T24

Skstd +

97-2X,91,94-2X,96-3X,97-2X

Doesn't take many poor shots to knock out of the 480 range.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:57 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
Wow Zuk,thank you for explaining what you go through to get a score up, and thank you for doing it.
That's life in the city.

I didn't include that to complain, but to illustrate that though it isn't the most convenient form of shooting for me, it's more challenging and therefore more interesting than shooting very small groups at much longer distances from a bench.

Quote:
On the teaching part I think that is very difficult for many of us, but Bob is very good and insightful about it.
indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmegaard
Seems a shame that games like these, with relatively low barriers to entry, aren't more widespread & popular:
- possible to be competitive with moderately priced equipment
- don't need frequent access to super long ranges
- few/no expensive accessories needed
I like the idea of an urban range limited to 22lr. The noise pollution and safety issues should be easier to control, so the cost should be lower, and they might even be more popular if people knew that they wouldn't end up next to someone with a 44magnum snubnosed revolver.