.22 Classic Extractor Mod (pic heavy) - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 PM
61woody

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

They just went out of production last year, how can TC be out of parts? I thought there was some law that required mfgrs to keep parts on hand for X amount of years?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Rustedbolt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is T/C the only place to get a xtra extractor? Someone has to have a xtra one laying around, I hope...
Rustedbolt
Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 AM
atomchaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61woody View Post
They just went out of production last year, how can TC be out of parts? I thought there was some law that required mfgrs to keep parts on hand for X amount of years?

I think there was a post on here somewhere that alluded to them not necessarily beginning out of parts as much as them wanting to get rifles back that had any issues. If you won't sell the parts, it leaves few options but to send the rifle back for repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 08:20 PM
LCPeaShooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thank you very much for posting this procedure. Very informative.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM
frogwalking
US Navy Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Someone mentioned that their extractor was rough. Looking at the photo titled "Pin halfway out" or something like that, one can see that the extractor was stamped out of a flat piece of steel. No one bothered to smooth out the rough edges. My Classic has a tiny shiney spot where the rough edge hits. Perhaps if TC had gone to the additional cost of smoothing out the stamped edges, the problem would be much less severe.

The bolt in my rifle has a little slop from side to side that makes the extractor not hit or hit depending on which side of the receiver it happens to be on at the time. I will stone a little off the very tip, changing the angle as someone noted, smoothing out the rough edge at the same time.

Thanks for all the wonderful information. (This rifle may be for sale, depending on how well my new CZ Mannlicher shoots). My wife is not to be trusted with a semi-auto. I am not always around when crows get in the fruit trees, or a rabid skunk wanders into the yard.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Paper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I noticed a couple questions popping up, so I figured I'd bump this to the top..
Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 PM
azjeff
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Bump.. this should be a sticky.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:01 AM
MangesMade
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Paper

I truly understand the aggravation and time consumption that's associated with posting with many pictures attached. Whew, There would probably be more post with lots of pictures if it were easier to do ? I'm glad you persevered. I'll bet the results of your post will save many great rifles from being crushed ! It's unreal that such a miniscule problem would be the demise of such a great little rifle. IMHO, the best, out of the box semi-auto .22 rifle. I have an older Classic and come here once in a while to read to see what's the newest on the Chipped Chamber Saga.....To be honest, I haven't shot it that much as I'm a CZ Holic. What little I have shot it, it was very close to being almost as accurate as my CeeeeeZeeeee's and easily qualifies Squirrel Head MOA.
The worse problem I have had, it randomly will not remove an unfired cartridge from the chamber. . For that reason I did give it some thought to send it back for repair, until I learned that they would keep the rifle and you would have to settle for something different. I choose to keep it with he assumption that "One Day" a smart RFC member would have a better answer. I think your post quailifies for easy reading and understanding ! And will probably solve my ejection problem ?
Thanks for your post, I vote Sticky.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 AM
MangesMade
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Paper

I truly understand the aggravation and time consumption that's associated with posting with many pictures attached. Whew, There would probably be more post with lots of pictures if it were easier to do ? I'm glad you persevered. I'll bet the results of your post will save many great rifles from being crushed ! It's unreal that such a miniscule problem would be the demise of such a great little rifle. IMHO, the best, out of the box semi-auto .22 rifle. I have an older Classic and come here once in a while to read to see what's the newest on the Chipped Chamber Saga.....To be honest, I haven't shot it that much as I'm a CZ Holic. What little I have shot it, it was very close to being almost as accurate as my CeeeeeZeeeee's and easily qualifies Squirrel Head MOA.
The worse problem I have had, it randomly will not remove an unfired cartridge from the chamber. . For that reason I did give it some thought to send it back for repair, until I learned that they would keep the rifle and you would have to settle for something different. I choose to keep it with he assumption that "One Day" a smart RFC member would have a better answer. I think your post quailifies for easy reading and understanding ! And will probably solve my ejection problem ?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Paper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangesMade View Post
I truly understand the aggravation and time consumption that's associated with posting with many pictures attached.
Thanks, but I saw it as a chance to record what I was going to do, and an excuse to take macro photos. While gun parts aren't as pretty (well, maybe) as flowers, bugs and raindrops, it was still a good excuse to play with my camera..

Helping others with it was an extra bonus and made the whole thing worthwhile.

I love my Classic and I have no desire to trade it in for something else.. I have a couple Anschutz and a couple CZ's, but the fact that the Classic shoots so well and isn't made any more is just more reason to keep these in our hands, rather than sent back in and never seen again..

That and while it took some time to put together, it was fun and I'd do it again in a second..
Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Apeoples
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I purchased one of these last spring and the first thing I read about was the chamber chip, sure enough mine has it I made the modification and love the thing.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 AM
Roadwrench

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
May have too buy a Classic

Bought a Benchmark when they were first released. Very quickly developed a chip in the chamber and would not empty a magazine without some type of feed or jam. Sent it into Thompson and they replaced it with a new rifle that I sold unfired. May have too pick another one (Classic this time) up now that there is a fix for the chipping issue. Loved the Benchmark, but could not tolerate the reliability.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:23 AM
Steal Shooter

TPC Rating: 
89% (14)
agree on the sticky!!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Rustedbolt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can a extractor for the 22 Classic be made? Is the extractor made of a special steel?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Paper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedbolt View Post
Can a extractor for the 22 Classic be made? Is the extractor made of a special steel?
I don't think so.. It files very quickly, like just regular sheet metal.. Looks like it's just a standard stamped part.