new toz 78-1 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 AM
tylermtech
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
new toz 78-1

I just picked up this new to me toz 78-1. I found it in my favorite local pawn shop for $115 so I had to bring it home!!! it was in like new condition, and has a great trigger. enough talking, here are some pictures:

Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good Photos ... Nice Little Rifle

Good looking little rifle.
Your pictures really make this thread.

Every time I see a TOZ 78 it never fails to impress me as to how basic this rimfire rifle is.
From the graduated rear sight and hooded front sight.
To the over-reaching factory attempt to dress-up the rifle with a painted fore-end tip.
I don't know what the finish is on the bolt handle.
But, it is appealing to me ... almost patina like - nicely done.
And, the standard sling swivels ... a very complete rifle.

What else is needed on an off-the-shelf TOZ 78 rifle?
An adjustable trigger ... it's there.
Five-shot or extended ten-shot clip ... standard.
I can't think what else anyone needs to add.

A silencer ... maybe?
Well, with the right model variation the barrel is available threaded for a moderator.
There is nothing else a hunter needs in a rimfire rifle ... it's all there.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 AM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice find.
Can't wait for the range report.
If you have any questions....just ask.

Swiss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 07:13 PM
William Harper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile New Toz 78-01

With the standard sights and a hand-made carry sling I entered a "Summer Biathlon" match where the "Senior" division was 25-35- half my age. These lads were also much faster, maybe 9 mph to my 6 mph, but I took the advice of a very nice black Air Force Lt. Colonel, a tall, lithe lady in her fatigues- pantherine- not to care about the speed-"Just finish". I used CCI Green Tag with which the TOZ shot .78" at 100 yards and I took my time thinking it might count for something that I had been shooting over 60 years. My time wasn't much, but my very high score shook the 56 year old retired U. S. Army Captain who ran the match. "Who the heck taught you to shoot like that!?" "Alvin York." He was the first to instruct me and another WWI vet- my father- acted on his advice to "Teach the little rascal to shoot." I found the TOZ fast enough, even when compared with the Anshutz straight pulls of some of the very serious shooters, and the TOZ's square notch rear sight just as accurate as their receiver sights, like the sights on the light muzzle-loaders I used in Seneca Matches as a youth of 25-35. The extra 2-3 Lbs on the match rifles did not seem to help them much either. As for the TOZ's trigger, as adjusted on mine it is the finest in the world. Don't ever underestimate this little rifle in any company. And its sights, using the front sight screwed in all the way, with some of the faster ammo can put you "on" with 200 meter silhouettes. You have a semi-match chamber and throat and a match bore.

Last edited by William Harper; 12-01-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:06 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bill how do you know they have semi-match chambers ???
I have shot all kinds of ammo threw mine & none of the lead bullets engage the rifling.
But shoots lights out...
The TOZ rifles do have LH twist rifling....kind of odd.

Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 12-02-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:56 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Summer Biathlon ... Biathlon Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Harper View Post
I found the TOZ fast enough, even when compared
with the Anshutz straight pulls of some of the very serious shooters,
and the TOZ's square notch rear sight just as accurate as their receiver sights...,
Summer Biathlon with a TOZ 78 ... interesting!

William Harper, I wonder by how much your race time could be improved
if you were using a proper biathlon rifle?
Such as, an Izhmash BI-7-3 or Larsen Recruit Rifle.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:05 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermtech View Post
I just picked up this new to me toz 78-1. I found it in my favorite local pawn shop for $115 so I had to bring it home!!! it was in like new condition, and has a great trigger. enough talking, here are some pictures:

Excellent purchase at that price, I picked one up that had been sort of refinished, ended up camoing it and leaving it at my Son's house.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:33 PM
William Harper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile New TOZ 78-01:

Fellow Shooters:
I know the TOZ 78-01 has a semi-match chamber and throat and a match bore by comparing it with rifles with match chambers and throats that will not chamber the CCI Stinger. The TOZ 78-01 chambers it cutting into approximately half its bearing surface, whereas a sporter chamber and throat don't mark the Stinger's bearing surface at all. As for the match bore, this not only comes from observing its tightness and extended rifling tight halfway down the throat, but from Russian production statements and my observations of its performance. Lightness and left hand twist or not, it contends with my best .22 LR rifles to 200 meters on targets and gives a fine account of itself in the hunting field. As for me picking up speed, last year I fought it out with T-cell Lymphoma and won thanks to good Chemo, which left me at least 50% alive and the cancer dead. It also left me with Shingles, a condition that really hits hard next day, if I do 30 minutes to 1 hr of moderate exertion. Yet I am alive, still shoot well, and got to watch a buddy 75 shoot his chronometer dead center on the range today as I checked the zero of the NcStar 2X-6X on my .22 LR-.410 Baikal over and under set at 2X which does very well on the squirrel's head at 50 yards. PETA reckons 25 million squirrels were "Murdered" last year. I'm almost certain that figure is erroneous. Next year, with luck, I shall have recovered some strength. Meantime, keep aware, keep asking questions. For instance, the TOZ 78-01 above is described as "like new!" So was mine, so much so in butt-plate, wood-checkering, and metal condition that I am fairly sure it was brand new. In 60 years of shooting you come in contact with a lot of weapons, everything about my TOZ 78-01 inclined me to regard it as new and one of the best gun buys I have made in a long shooting life that began when Alvin York told me how it was done and chided my father, another WWI vet to "Teach the little rascal to shoot!" PS: Check the crowning on the TOZ 78-01 against that of a match rifle and a sporter.

Last edited by William Harper; 12-02-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thats some good info....Bill
My Grandpa was a WW-1 Vet.

I sure am a big fan of my TOZ-78-01.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=342529
Best $130 rifle I have ever bough.

Swiss
Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 AM
tylermtech
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the kind comments, unfortunately due to an ongoing move to WY, I will not be able to shoot it for a few weeks, I am excited to shoot it though.

I do plan on getting it threaded for my aac element when i get settled

it should be a sweet package!!!!