Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:09 PM
widz14

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Springfield/Savage 87A feed problems

So, I'm new here and haven't really found my way around the forum yet, so I apologize in advance for what I have no doubt is a repost from somewhere. But here goes...

I just recently got an old 87A from my father-in-law, which had been his dad's. When I got it, the action could not be worked manually. It felt as though it was hitting something and being blocked. I took the rifle apart and, lo and behold, there was a cartridge stuck where the magazine tube meets the mag guide and lifter assembly, which was preventing the lifter from functioning and the bolt from cycling. I managed to free the offending round and remove it through the front of the mag. After a good cleaning and a light oiling, the action works beautifully.

So I figured problem solved, and put a round back in the mag. It got stuck in the same place again. Even with the mag tube inserted, it won't move past that point and onto the lifter.

Looking at e-gunparts.com, http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Model=089Zz87A, I think I have the problem narrowed down to the cartridge guide spring. I narrowed it down to that because the mag rod spring works fine, the round gets stuck even without the mag rod inserted, and when I had the rifle apart, I didn't see anything that looked like the cartridge guide spring pictured as part 31 on the breakdown.

So my question is, can anyone provide me with pictures of a properly assembled mag guide assembly and/or directions as to how to install a cartridge guide spring?

If I get a chance soon here, I will try to post pictures of what mine looks like to give a better idea of the problem unit.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I figured more detail was better than less. Any help will be greatly appreciated. And huge thanks to Oldwolf, who's been a big help via e-mail already and who turned me on to the forum.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:15 PM
widz14

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face D'oh

And just like that, I post my earlier post, and I find exactly what I'm looking for. That's what I get for relying on the "Search" function rather than just paging through a little. (FYI, the post that answered my question was right on the front page.) So anyway, thanks to GTwannabe and Oldwolf for unknowingly giving me exactly the information I was looking for. But if anyone else wants to throw in their two cents, I'll take it. Apparently I need all the help I can get!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:27 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Hi widz14, use the "search this forum" feature and look for "savage 87A"...be sure to put the search term in quotes. You should find quite a few pertinent threads.

Let us know how the repair goes.

Welcome to RFC!
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 03:17 PM
OcelotZ3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Once you get it working, I think you'll like it.

When my dad died, he had just a few of the many hundreds of rifles/handguns left that he owned over the years. One of the items was an 87A barrel/action, missing the stock.

I bought a stock on eBay and put the rifle together, took it out and it is extremely accurate and has also been very reliable. It's a lot of fun, and got me hooked on the sport.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Jeff Tipton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old Wolf and GTWannabe posted pics of the cartridge guide spring installation on the 87A just a few days ago. My Dads old Montgomery Wards Western Field (87A) was missing the guide spring and the spacers on the feeder. Thanks to the pics posted, the mystery of the guide spring was solved and now the rifle fires as fast as you can pull the trigger. You are in the right thread, just keep scrolling down and you will find it.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:40 PM
widz14

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I ordered the cartridge guide spring I needed from E-gun parts and it arrived today. Thanks to the posts by Oldwolf and GT in the other thread, I got it installed no problem. Unfortunately, the rifle still is failing to feed.

Rather than go into a long discussion, I'll post some pics.

As you can see, the cartridges aren't even making it to the lifter. They're getting hung up somewhere along the way there. Where the cartridges come to rest also causes the action to jam, as the lifter gets stuck on the cartridge, which then prevents the bolt form moving. The inner mag tube won't push them down, even though the spring in it is fine. I can't even push rounds down with a cleaning rod. They just get stuck. I've tried several different kinds of ammo (Winchester, CCI, Short, Long, and LR) with the same results.

Any thoughts/suggestions as to why this might be happening and how to fix it? Help!!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Windustsearch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like you have a dent or obstruction in your mag tube, or the feed lips are pinched or something.

Have you tried pulling down on the lifter to see what happens?

Last edited by Windustsearch; 12-12-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:33 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I agree with Windustswaerch about looking for magazine malfunction of some kind...

Try this...

Remove the mag rod from mag tube and use a cleaning rod to substitute for the magazine rod. Gently push on the cleaning rod...will a round then slip past the cartridge spring and into the proper position for the lifter to actuate correctly?

If yes...then maybe the magazine rod spring is faulty...possibly a weak spring.

If no...the problem is still in the lifter area...maybe a pinched housing...binding lifter... guide spring not positioned correctly... is the lifter moving DOWN far enough allowing a new cartridge enough room to slide into position??

Let us know...
Old 12-13-2009, 07:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I think I see the problem.

In your first picture...the guide spring is extending too far into the cartridge feed area. It looks to me that the housing has been "pinched" in.

The guide spring on mine does not protrude into the housing as far as your does.

Can you confirm my observation on the pinched housing? The walls should be parallel to each other...
Old 12-13-2009, 12:41 PM
widz14

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oldwolf et al.,

After much frustration and more than a little swearing, I think I've got it figured out. OW, you were right, it was a pinched housing. The mag guide was pinched in somehow (my guess, Grandpa and a pliers) and that was causing the cartridges to get stuck before they slid all the way into the guide.

I removed the lifter and lifter spring and took the cartridge guide spring back out, then carefully went after it with a pliers of my own. Once I got the sides of the mag guide parallel again, the cartridges would slide right down through the guide to where the lifter's supposed to pick them up.

After reassembly, the cartridges seem to be cyclying just fine. It may still need some tweaks, but I think we got the problem nailed.

Thanks for all the tips and insights!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Good News!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:55 AM
patricio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello my friend, Im writing you from Chile, and Im looking some help with a problem I have with my rifle. I have a Saurio 22lr (exactly the same as savage 87 or Sprinfield) I have exactly the same problem as you with the semiautomatic, feed or something. I cant shoot more than 2 or three shots ( it stucks). Please tell me what you do to solve the problem, I have been looking spare parts everywhere. (Internet, here in Chile, Argentina (my rifle was made there) but nothing... I need the complete feed kit. I hope you can help me. I have some photos and videos of the problem, my email is [email protected] thks!!!
Old 10-15-2019, 06:54 PM
dwildemn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lifter not positioned to feed next cartridge

My lifter doesn't return to a position high enough to let the next cartridge move into position - first round is fine but next one jams - if I manually nudge the lifter a fraction of an inch, the round feeds properly into position. Tried new lifter but same problem - installed old one again. Maybe bolt is worn but I wouldn't think machined steel would wear before lobe on lifter. I see bolts on ebay for a reasonable amount, maybe try that unless someone has a better suggestion. Thanks.