Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:50 AM
calixt0
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
these russian rifles are addicting

Hello all,

I found these rifles from looking around here at rfc. I used to check the new posts ever couple of hours and constantly search lil different things. Well then I found these neat rifles. Now I hardly check any of the other forums and just constantly check back here. Hoping that someone has posted something so that I can read more about or see more on these rifles.

I came to RFC after buying a savage mkII mako edition and got it shooting to where I can cover the group with a dime at 50 yard using wolf mt and cheap caldwell rock bechrest. I started looking for a target rifle and started looking at anshutz and started saving my money. well i kept seeing posts here and there about these cm-2 thingies and they kept showing tiny little groups which is exactly what I wanted. I had to do more research. I have now read the entire collection of posts in the russian rifle sub forum and can wait for more to read to try to get glean more knowledge about these fairly unknown rifle.

thanks a lot guys/gals. My wife however does not thank you... lol

Shaun
Old 09-28-2009, 01:09 PM
STBE Harris

Now Central Texas who turned on the heat?
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So CalixtO

You leave us hanging....
Are you still lurking on the edge or have you jumped Hmmmmmm???? Are you saving still for an Annie or have you snuck your little Russian in the back door???
And as for your wife if u get one of those old used CM-2's that various places are selling and she see's it well, she'll just say "ok Cal something that old and beat up can-teeent have cost that much??" You can say no sweetie not this old thing and have a big smile on your face when you shoot it at the range!!!

STBE
Old 09-28-2009, 04:20 PM
calixt0

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I called and talked to cody at cdnn and was asking about the cm-2. I was asking if any had the rail on the front of the action as I wanted mount a scope to it. he said he had the ural ( i guess slightly different) that had no sights but had rails front and back for $269. thats what I bought. now its time for another scope .... a scope costs more than the gun??? I've got to find a good inexpensive scope... lol I would still love to have an anie but I just can't afford them... this is the next best thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 PM
MG-70

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I get a feeling that pretty soon you and your wife will be thanking us. Of course, there's a slight chance it'll be cussing, but more likely it'll be happy faces, thumbs up, and grin Smilies.

You should be able to find a used Weaver T-36 for about $300, but hey, like the rifle, you should be able to recoup what you have in it if you change your mind...which you won't.

Got my fingers crossed they send you a nice one!
Old 09-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Rockbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
calixt0,
I went out to shoot my Ural on Saturday and got some exceptional groups at 50 yds. - in fact, they were better than my scoped silo rifle. I took some pictures, but didn't measure. I will upload them tonight for your viewing pleasure. I know just how you feel when jonesin' for some gun pics. These will be worth the wait. My Ural is the most accurate rifle I own outside of my service rifle AR that shoots 100 yd groups as good as the Ural at 50 yds.

While we are at it, the Aguila Super Extra (lower priced stuff) sold by the CMP for $21/brick shot better than minimags in the Ural.

You will not regret the purchase. I would much rather have a beat up looking rifle that shoots great than a pretty gun that shoots okay and kicks flyers for no discernible reason.

Rock
Old 09-28-2009, 05:29 PM
calixt0

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbuster View Post
calixt0,
I went out to shoot my Ural on Saturday and got some exceptional groups at 50 yds. - in fact, they were better than my scoped silo rifle. I took some pictures, but didn't measure. I will upload them tonight for your viewing pleasure. I know just how you feel when jonesin' for some gun pics. These will be worth the wait. My Ural is the most accurate rifle I own outside of my service rifle AR that shoots 100 yd groups as good as the Ural at 50 yds.

While we are at it, the Aguila Super Extra (lower priced stuff) sold by the CMP for $21/brick shot better than minimags in the Ural.

You will not regret the purchase. I would much rather have a beat up looking rifle that shoots great than a pretty gun that shoots okay and kicks flyers for no discernible reason.

Rock
this purchase was for several reasons but most importantly I will never know how good of a shooter I am if I don't get a gun better than me. Like I said in my previous post 5 shots covered with a dime i think is pretty good. could it be better or is that the limit of the gun???? i don't know. I like the idea of a gun that is hyper accurate so that if it goes arry I know I did it or didn't dope the wind right ect. that my goal to become a better shooter.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Rockbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is some really crummy photography skills for you. The pictures are of my Ural groups from Saturday. I am a pretty good shot, but I am using a welded steel rest - no bags front or rear and my blood pressure medication wasn't really doing its job after that cup of coffee. I had 4 or 5 bulls on the other targets, but the poor rest and fatigue allowed for more thrown shots (most of them called) than I prefer. The good news is that is loves the Federal 510s. This was my first time using one of the clear acrylic front apertures ordered through a guy up in Canada. I think it is a big improvement over the steel one that came with the rifle from CDNN.

Here's the gun (it now has a correct, but not serially matched butt plate with spacers):

Last edited by Rockbuster; 09-28-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Rockbuster,
If you will get some SK or Wolf ammo you will think you died and went to heaven the next outing.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:03 AM
[email protected]
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I should be getting mine today. I ordered it from CDNN Investments out of Texas(I think). I also reciently bought a New Izhmash CM 2 from a local gun shop. These guns are great shooters but each one does like a specific ammo. Mine loves Lapula Center X. Good Luck
Old 09-29-2009, 09:11 AM
tom c.
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
i guess i'm lucky to have gotten a feed ramp in my Ural.
one hole groups at fifty with a good scope and ammo are
more common than not. the only thing odd about the ural
is when i decock it. with most rifles i hold the trigger while
turning the bolt down so the firing pin spring won't stay
compressed. if you do that with my ural i hear a loud click
about a second after i drop the bolt. i started putting a dead
casing in there for the firing pin to hit on just in case it might
hurt it.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:59 AM
wksinatl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom c. View Post
i guess i'm lucky to have gotten a feed ramp in my Ural.
one hole groups at fifty with a good scope and ammo are
more common than not. the only thing odd about the ural
is when i decock it. with most rifles i hold the trigger while
turning the bolt down so the firing pin spring won't stay
compressed. if you do that with my ural i hear a loud click
about a second after i drop the bolt. i started putting a dead
casing in there for the firing pin to hit on just in case it might
hurt it.
Tom,
My 3 lug URAL also has a feed ramp. I guess we both lucked out.

I agree with the "one hole" comment.

After reading your post I tried decocking mine. I also Decock my bolt guns the same way. Mine will decock as I hold the trigger and close the bolt. There is no lag time it is immediate.

Gotta admit, the click is louder than I'd like it to be. Not as loud as a dry fire but louder than any other bolt gun I own including the centerfires. My CM-2's are much quieter.

Keith