Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:36 PM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Great thread.... gun tech stuff.....dog stuff.....cat stuff.....LOL

Don't let that sweet little kitty fool you......she is a killer.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:43 PM
shooter35

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
As already stated very nice work.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 AM
captaincrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice work indeed. I can never get a side mounted scope rail to hold zero. I'm refering to AK 47's etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2009, 11:11 AM
ultramag44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
OK, He got the rings in yesterday, but rail has not arrived yet. He's looking over the work, he's ancious for the rail to arrive so we can finish up the mount base. He said we will put a 36X B&L scope on this one.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:35 PM
STBE Harris

Now Central Texas who turned on the heat?
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice Work 44ultramag and AzizaVFR

Hopefully I will be able to get back on this scope rail project and use some of your ideas. I dont have any Millet scope clamps floating around and would have to buy a whole ring set probably about $26 plus shipping to the top of the world. Am going to dig in a couple smiths junk boxes for a clamp system when I get some time to look. Old top mount 22 scope bases might work you would have to file or mill off all the ring appendages above the actual rectangular part of the base. Then you could drill holes and tap "B" angle stock for attachment to side attachment on top for scope mount. Anyway thiese aren some great ideas and nice work.

STBE
Old 05-09-2009, 01:37 PM
STBE Harris

Now Central Texas who turned on the heat?
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
UltraMag44

Looks like your having to cut the stock away some for sight attachment is that true? STBE
Old 05-09-2009, 02:35 PM
ultramag44

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBE Harris View Post
Looks like your having to cut the stock away some for sight attachment is that true? STBE
STBE,

I did sand paper that area. For the front claw, I used a Dremmell tool to cut the wood on the INSIDE of the stock for the rear claw to clear.

I had to just reduce the top wood about 1/8 inch for the rear claw (width of the claw) but,does not require any real noticable change to stock.

Need that 12 inch long Weaver rail (continues series of slots)! The cat is ready to get this project done!

Notice he has his Burrs Signature Zee Rings.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:56 PM
crpadiem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice work Ultramag( or should I say Ultramag and friend)!! What's the foremans name?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:40 PM
ultramag44

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crpadiem View Post
Nice work Ultramag, (or should I say Ultramag and friend)!! What's the foremans name?
What's the foremans name?

His name is LittleOne (wife named him that because he was runt of ther litter).
Old 05-17-2009, 09:45 AM
AzizaVFR
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Send a message via AIM to AzizaVFR Send a message via Yahoo to AzizaVFR
CM-2 vs Ural mount differences

I was able to get this one unit cut. It will be verified by another member for fitment and use. Here are a couple of pictures showing the progress and difference between the CM-2 and Ural mounts.

First Position cutting. The mounting holes, Picatinny rail and length are established during this movement.

Second Position cutting. The relief for the loading area is made, the dovetail and receiver clearance was made during this position. When I started with the blank it was 1.6lbs. After this position, the weight was reduced to 6 oz. One thing I noticed in this pictures is the ripple pattern even with a very low feed rate. The handwheel is out of balance causing the powerfeed to speed up and slow down depending on the handle's position. That issue will be addressed.

Here are the CM-2 and Ural mounts together showing the differences. The Ural requires a greater depth between the dovetail and the bore centerline. Also, the clamping area has been extended 0.5".

I did acquire enough material to make some more of these. Unfortunately, I will be tearing down the work area in order to get everything moved starting the first of the month.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:54 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chatter Marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzizaVFR View Post
... One thing I noticed in this pictures is the ripple pattern even with a very low feed rate.
The handwheel is out of balance causing the powerfeed to speed up and slow down depending on the handle's position.
That issue will be addressed....
Looks like chatter to me - tall, relatively thin, unsupported wall being side-cut by the end mill.
Bead blast the finished workpiece and the machine marks will become virtually invisible.
Fixing the powerfeed handwheel stationary will only result in a consistent chatter pattern.
But, it will not eliminate the problem - lack of workpiece rigidity and insufficient support of the milled surface.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:34 PM
ultramag44

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Right then, Made it out to the range today. Very first time to fire this CM-2. This design side-mount scope base seems to work OK (still ain't purdy like Randell's). The shot @ the top is from a cold barrel. It always seems to do this. The next 5 shots are in the group.

The scope base placed the bullet 1-1/4 inches to the right, and 4-1/2 inches low @ 50 yards. a set of + / - .005 inserts in the rear ring brought the group within 1/2 inch of dead center. Burris Signature Zee rings and the offset insert kit, gotta love it!

This rifle didn't like Wolf Match Extra. It really liked Eley Club XTRA though!

The cat seems pleased with the outcome.

Last edited by ultramag44; 05-17-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Jerel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ural scope base

AzizaVFR

Did this Ural side mount scope base work?

Jerel
Old 12-31-2009, 01:52 AM
AzizaVFR
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Send a message via AIM to AzizaVFR Send a message via Yahoo to AzizaVFR
The one mount I made did mount to the Ural, yet I think I had the measurements a little off, since I did not have one in my hands. The final height over the bore was a touch too high.

If I had one in my hands to measure, I would build a side mount to fit it with either a 10 or 20 MOA slope to the picatinny rail. Any takers in Southern Arizona?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Jerel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any takers in Southern Arizona?

AzizaVFR,

I am too far from you.......
I have Ural 1s and Ural 2s that I would be glad to leave with you if I were closer.
Your workmanship on the mounts in this thread looks great!
Hopefully there will be someone close to you with a Ural that will take your offer.

To everyone on the Forum, have a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Jerel