CM-2 side Scope mount Homemade - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 PM
mrmosin

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

An observation, please. I started a system like ULTRAMAG44 for my URAL tonight. There was a post earlier, will the mounts fit an ural. Not exactly. My URAL's top of the receiver is much lower, or is the rail higher on the side of the receiver. Looks like the URAL has a lower receiver. Am I making sense? The claws stick up above the top of the receiver. Pictures tomorrow. I will say this, ULTRAMAG44 has a very keen sense of how to put together a mount from simple tools, and common parts.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I had a Win 52E with one of his mounts. Kinda rare, to say the least, the 52E. I don't have it anymore

You owe me, old buddy
Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
crpadiem
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=mrmosin;2381415]An observation, please. I started a system like ULTRAMAG44 for my URAL tonight. There was a post earlier, will the mounts fit an ural. Not exactly. My URAL's top of the receiver is much lower, or is the rail higher on the side of the receiver. Looks like the URAL has a lower receiver. Am I making sense? The claws stick up above the top of the receiver. QUOTE]

So correct me if I'm wrong, it would probably work, but the mount would be a lot higher on the Ural? I'm talking to a gunsmith/machine shop here(as I live in a condo so I don't have a lot of space to do much gunsmithing) and trying to get them to make it. I'll probably give them the drawing and the rifle when they do make it(if they do make it). He does a lot of custom rifleworks so he'll know what to do and make it very functional, as I told him I want it to be easily removable so I can use the sights also. Course with that I am thinking the front sight is going to be the bigger of the pains, with taking it off and on. Might just take the set screw out and twist it over out of the way so I can have the scope objective as close to the barrel as possible and not have the front sight in the way. Would keep me from having to get another Ural as I like the accuracy of this one, but I also would like the extra rifle(don't tell the wife!!)
Old 05-06-2009, 09:54 PM
crpadiem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And by the way, Ultramag is doing an excellent job !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 PM
mrmosin

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It is hard to say with my tools, but the claws stick up about .100 above the top of the receiver. Not great and can be overcome. I am using 2"X2"X.25 angle. Maybe overbore, but I have it in my hands. Lots of sawing and filing, but I have time. Using 1/4" angle gives me ample room for threads, etc. If I want the top of the angle to sit flush on the top of the receiver, I can inlet the angle to accomodate the high claws, just a hole drilled big enough to let the claws fit into the angle, and have access to the screw that holds the claw. I will post the address of the place I get my angle. Fast shipping and good prices.
Careful what you say about ULTRAMAG
Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 PM
mrmosin

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
By the way, mount a scope before you mess with the front sight. BUY ANOTHER URAL, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:02 AM
AzizaVFR
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Send a message via AIM to AzizaVFR Send a message via Yahoo to AzizaVFR
It was another day where I got to meet my favorite person wearing brown. The new parts and cutters for the mill arrived today. All I needed to do was to undercut the 45 degree angle for the rail. It took two passes per side. I grabbed a Simmon 8-point scope, a set of Warne medium rings, and bolted it to the rifle.

The mount is strong enough to lift the entire weight of the rifle by the scope and carry it without flexing nor movement. I also did a return to zero test. I used a laser bore sighter, shining it about 100 yards away. It is easy to see at night off the neighbor's house. I moved the crosshairs to be centered on the dot. I loosen the three retaining screws, removing the scope then returning it to the dovetail, and torqued the screws. The dot stayed centered after the removal and reinstall.

Overall, I would say for a first prototype, it is a success and a viable option to mounting a scope to the CM-2 without having to modify anything else on the rifle.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:07 AM
crpadiem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's some top notch work there Aziza, on both the mount and the rifle also. Are those your Corgi's in the avatar? Pembroke or Cardigan? I had a Cardigan before, great dogs. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:09 AM
LonePine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Randall

that is a sweet job. How easy to replicate?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:17 AM
crpadiem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
By the way, what did you end up using for the clamping dovetail? Did you stay with aluminum or use something harder?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:42 PM
AzizaVFR

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Lonepine, to replicate the mount it should take less time than prior because I now have a reference unit. I do need to change the drawing to reflect the dimensional changes, even for my own sanity. I did keep the aluminum clamping nuts. They are proving to be strong enough. The SHCS need to be 3/4" long instead of 1". It precludes having to cut them to size.
Completely off-topic: Yes, the avatar shows the two Pembroke Corgis. They are the most wanting to please dogs I have experienced, and yes they are spoiled.

Last edited by AzizaVFR; 05-07-2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Reducing the redundancy.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:32 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Impressive Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzizaVFR View Post
... This is using a manual mini-mill with no power feeds,
taking a maximum of a 0.030" per pass to keep from breaking the plastic drive gears within the Harbor Freight mill....
All of this accomplished on a Chi-Com home milling machine.
Very impressive work AzizaVFR with so limited resources.

My kids ... even more spoiled
Old 05-07-2009, 06:46 PM
ultramag44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Since we are soooooooo off topic, I'll confess.

My scope base designs are all the ideas of this guy! He designs them, but I do the work (he doesn't have thumbs)

Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 PM
AzizaVFR

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Here is the manager. Be aware, he wakes up cranky and he is packing...

Back on topic, I will create another set of drawing to hopefully work as well with the Ural receiver as I have with the CM-2.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:03 AM
ultramag44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
He loves his S&W Thunder Ranch .44 Special!

He says if the Weaver rail arrives today, that he will have me finish up the mount.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:58 PM
AzizaVFR

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
It is amazing what you can get accomplished while listening to financial reports. Here is a revised drawing for the side mount for the CM-2. I used the prototype as a basis and added a couple of changes to make it stronger and better looking.

There is a version of this mount I have drawn for the Ural. It is being verified dimensionally first before I post the drawing or cut one.