Dovetail cut in BB barrel? - Aperture Sights for BI 7-2, Engineering Grade Epoxy - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:18 PM
AzizaVFR
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Send a message via AIM to AzizaVFR Send a message via Yahoo to AzizaVFR

I experienced the same thing. I had to order a taller front base to get the correct height needed for the front globe. Measure from the barrel to the top of your dovetail and report back that finding.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 AM
drwho9437

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzizaVFR View Post
I experienced the same thing. I had to order a taller front base to get the correct height needed for the front globe. Measure from the barrel to the top of your dovetail and report back that finding.
Will do. I am at a university with a good student machine shop, so while I don't have direct access to the shop a good friend of mine does. I feel bad asking him to make me parts but we made an extra step dovetail to go on the other today. For now it will be too tall but as I am using the AirForce rear sight it has about 1 inch coarse vertical adjustment. Based on trig it was about 1 cm too low given my target test the other day.

I will report back the exact height of the base needed when I get to shoot again.

I note the Brownell's barrel band has interchangeable steps though I don't think they are tall enough.

I didn't order that one because it was out of stock in 0.750" at the time I wanted to start. I had hoped there would be enough adjustment to fix this issue.

My best guess as of now is that it was 0.33" low with the champion's choice band, but that is a relative number and was the result of a lot of awkward caliper measurements.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:27 AM
AzizaVFR
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Send a message via AIM to AzizaVFR Send a message via Yahoo to AzizaVFR
One of the reasons I suggested the Lipski band was the ability to bolt on different height bases. You can use either the Lipski bases or all the ones sold by Champion's Choice. I originally ordered the highest one available from Brownells, yet it was still too low. Champion's Choice has many more sizes, most are standardized, designated by a letter and a set height.

Remember, your rear sight is for fine adjustment. You want to set your rear sight height where your cheek weld is most consistent and comfortable. All your gross elevation adjustments should be done with the front sight base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 12:12 AM
drwho9437

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzizaVFR View Post

I got to shoot today. My best estimate is that the top of the dovetail should be 24mm +/- 1 mm over the center of the barrel, given the other items I selected (Lyman 93, AirForce, Brownell's rail). I will update this if I get a more accurate number.