Ammo switch - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Ammo switch

Well, fellow Russian rifle afficianados, I have a 2 day Conventional 3200 point prone match (320 shots) this weekend and I'm shooting Eley Tenex for the remainder of the season. Hopefully this will pull my scores up. The first day of the match is iron sights only and the second day is "any sights" and most competitors switch to scopes. I'll stick with apertures both days.
Due to the exceptionally cold winter I didn't practice at all during the off season and I'm not yet shooting as well as I was last year and I'm hoping a switch to the best ammo will benefit me.
My mental game has been an issue and I'm planning to ignore the scoreboard until the end of the day and just focus on one shot at a time.
Good or bad I'll post my results with my CM-2 plus some other match related stuff Saturday and Sunday evening. I'm hoping we will again have AMU participation at our regional match and it is a real thrill to shoot with Olympians.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
The match is over

I was really tired last night and the pollen was taking its toll on me as well, so I am just now getting around to the results of the ammo switch.
The match conditions were deceptively difficult. The wind was pretty calm, but the mirage was punishing of any error in reading or ignoring it. That said, I was heading into this match knowing that I'm not on my game yet. The cold winter plus getting laid off and trying to build a business have taken their toll om my focus. After the intensity of a 3200 I think I'm going to be close to my groove by the next match.
Yesterday I shot a 1583 which is in the middle of the Expert range (1576-1591). Using the Eley on my good bulls I had what were the tightest groups I've ever shot and in general I felt my score was better than my performance even if it was a little disappointing.
Today, like the idiot I am, I changed the rear iris to the Gehman 530 which has a .5 lens in it and in the first match of the day which was a Dewar (20 shots at 50 yds and 20 at 100 yds) I dropped 4 points for a 396. While the targets were being scored I switched back to my Gehman 550 iris and mounted an occluder on my Knobloch frames. In the next match which was 40 shots at 100 yds there were only 2 competitors who shot 400 and I was one of the two. The occluder made a dramatic difference in my sight picture and I'm a believer in using the occluder now.
In the 50 meter and 50 yd portion of the match that followed I shot in boiling mirage a couple of times and paid for it with 9's. The inactivity during the winter reminded me that shooting is a prerishable skill and I found the 9 ring waiting for me when I unconsciously muscled the sights on target. By the last target of the day I had decided to concentrate on NPA and closely monitor any muscular manipulation and I cleaned that last target.
My performance once again was not as good as my score, but I had a great time with great people and I learned two really important things. I'm shooing Eley from here on and I'm always shooting with an occluder. SK/Wolf is really good ammo but it's time to get serious and move up.
My CM-2 performed really well as it always does and with a better trigger it would do better. A prone rifle really needs a 2-4 oz trigger.