Few questions 'bout the used CM-2s ... Model #s, Serial # & Hammer Forged Barrels - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Russian Vostok .22 LR Target Rifle Reduced 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewald View Post
... Check out the starting bid?? Is that the same rifle being discussed here?
Probably a CDNN or Century Arms rifle.
A cleaned-up $300, surplus, club rifle
dressed-up with a $125 ChiCom scope.
Becomes an $1100 collectible target rifle.
I wonder what happened to the rear aperature?
Posting because of the good images.

Russian Vostok .22 LR Target Rifle Reduced 22 - Started at $1,100.00

Last edited by aom22; 09-06-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Add Text
Old 09-05-2008, 08:49 AM
davemustaine

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Mine has YPA/\ stamped on the reciever. According to the 2003 article, this is likely a URAL, first series. It has all matching numbers...M-1010. I could have sworn that my bolt had 4 lugs though. It is at the gunsmith get drilled and tapped right now, but I will check that out when I get it back. I bought mine from a dealer on here, hags, so I don't know if it came from CDNN or not.

I was thinking about buying a Savage Mark II BTVS, but now I'm think I should buy another old Vostok.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 PM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought you were mistaken by the 4 lugs because the 3 lugs are equilaterally spaced and can easily give the impression there are 4 unless you look closely and count to three!
So davemustaine you have a rifle 90 numbers earlier than mine at M-1100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 PM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's hard to believe my $299 rifle with a cheap BSA is going for $1100. Funny thing though is even if someone offered me $1100 I wouldn't sell.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:49 PM
davemustaine

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'm probably wrong about the lugs. According the the article a couple pages earlier, there were only 500 URAL-1 produced. I wonder if they started with M-1000 as the first number?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 PM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At a first glance on mine my brain thought 4 until I counted around the circumference to THREEEEEE!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:58 PM
ewald

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motohead View Post
Mine has the grooved receiver ( front & rear), Heavy 3 lug bolt, right side = YPA/\-2 Pretty sure this is Russian for URAL-2, left side= A-13** (rec/bolt/stock/butt pad all marked with ser. no.), Vostok, Made in USSR. This one was bought from my local dealer last March. Came with a white inventory tag on it from Century Arms. I wonder how many versions there are?

moto
Hey Motohead, I want to know where you got that 8ball knob for the bolt handle and how did you attach it?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 PM
harris hawk
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemustaine View Post
I'm probably wrong about the lugs. According the the article a couple pages earlier, there were only 500 URAL-1 produced. I wonder if they started with M-1000 as the first number?
Dave, my "Vostok" Ural, which I believe to be a "1" version, is SN P-947, which I believe puts it in the 50's range. My "Vostok" CM-2 version, is SN K-635, which probably puts it in the late 60's to early 70's, I believe. Maybe we can all put our SN's together, along with the stamped markings, etc...and figure some of the missing links. Just an idea. Also, if there were only 500 of these babies(Ural-1) produced, that makes these rifles VERY rare, especially in original condition, or very close to original condition!!! That is why I have not drilled/tapped, or otherwise altered my two rifles in any way, other than to apply some shellac(original finish)to the stocks. I think you guys should try the original sights with various inserts first, as even with poor eyes, the aperture peep sights on these rifles improve the sight picture tremendously, JMO.
Michael

Last edited by harris hawk; 09-05-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 PM
MG-70

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I don't doubt the Urals were made in low volumes compared to Western commercial guns at the time, but unless production figures can somehow be verified by a credible source, I'd take the "500 of each" with a grain of salt (from my understanding this figure is coming from an older internet post). Also, for us to draw any conclusions based on serial numbers we would need a lot bigger sampling than the handful of posters have provided.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:00 PM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is true. But a list of specs and serial numbers on a thread would really interest me!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:03 PM
harris hawk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG-70 View Post
I don't doubt the Urals were made in low volumes compared to Western commercial guns at the time, but unless production figures can somehow be verified by a credible source, I'd take the "500 of each" with a grain of salt (from my understanding this figure is coming from an older internet post). Also, for us to draw any conclusions based on serial numbers we would need a lot bigger sampling than the handful of posters have provided.
My understanding is that these rifles were made explicitly for the Olympic team, and for competition/practice/back-up only. Not for general public/commercial use, or sale. Some time much later, the SM-2/CM-2 rifles were made for commercial consumption. This is my understanding of the "Vostok" Urals, and some of the early "Vostok" CM-2 rifles. I may be mistaken, but believe this to be the case. Limited production, only for the Russian Olympic team, initially in the early years, anyway. These rifles ARE a true piece of history, to behold, collect, and still shoot.
Michael
Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 PM
MG-70

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I don't doubt they're special, one look at the bolt and it's clear a lot of work went into designing and manufacturing them; the same goes for the trigger. I also don't doubt they're made to higher standards than those of the CM-2 which was apparently produced in greater numbers, possibly after Ural production had ceased (of course, thereís nothing to say they werenít made concurrently). With that said, we have info. on very few specimens, and donít even know if proper manufacturer records were kept, unfortunately.

Itíll be fun noting the differences and peculiarities of all the models here on the site, though. I even recommend setting up a sole picture hosting account and having people email pics to the account holder so that in time the various membersí links donít cease to exist.

Btw, my CM-2 replacement is in but I wonít be able to pick it up Ďtil early next week. The FFL has said it looks nicer than the last one and that the wood appears to be intact; both good things!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:49 PM
harris hawk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I don't doubt they're special, one look at the bolt and it's clear a lot of work went into designing and manufacturing them; the same goes for the trigger. I also don't doubt they're made to higher standards than those of the CM-2 which was apparently produced in greater numbers, possibly after Ural production had ceased (of course, thereís nothing to say they werenít made concurrently). With that said, we have info. on very few specimens, and donít even know if proper manufacturer records were kept, unfortunately.

Itíll be fun noting the differences and peculiarities of all the models here on the site, though. I even recommend setting up a sole picture hosting account and having people email pics to the account holder so that in time the various membersí links donít cease to exist.

Btw, my CM-2 replacement is in but I wonít be able to pick it up Ďtil early next week. The FFL has said it looks nicer than the last one and that the wood appears to be intact; both good things!
I'll cross my fingers that you get a REAL sweetie. There's info out there on these rifles, we just haven't dug it all up yet. But by posting our SN's, models, stampings, etc... we should be able to get a good idea of how many might have been produced of each type. However, what worries me the most, is the story of the Gentleman from England that has been quoted here on this board on several occasions regarding these rifles, saying that when he gave up his traceable, medal winning, Russian Olympic Ural rifle, it was destroyed as per their laws. However, I do believe he left us a clue with the serial number of the rifle he had. As noted by other members that are active on some of the other boards, such as http://www.gunboards.com/forums/ , that sites such as http://7.62x54r.net/ , and http://www.mosinnagant.net/ are excellent examples of what we might achieve that would help us to shed more light on these very rare specimens of these type of rifles. JMO.
Michael
Old 09-06-2008, 10:12 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
... I even recommend setting up a sole picture hosting account
and having people email pics to the account holder
so that in time the various membersí links donít cease to exist.
Vostok CM-2 & Ural (УРАЛ) Rimfires Redone ... OPEN FOR POSTING

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post
Currently gathering information for this stickey.
Post what you can ... I'll do the rest.
If you have digital pictures. But don't know how to post them.
E-mail them to me and I will host/post them for you.
If you have photo prints. But don't know how to post them.
Mail them to me with a stamped, self-addressed, return envelope.
I will scan, host and post your photos. And, return the original prints.
The images will be at a public hosting site.
You will have access to them.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:02 AM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes on a posting site for our USSR CM2/Ural/BK3 whatever rifles. I also second the fact that a lot of work went into the rifle we are discussing. Whether they are indeed rare or not I am still a bit shocked knowing I spent only $299 for what companies like Anschutz and others of the same quality in manufacturing charge today--or have available used.