Few questions 'bout the used CM-2s ... Model #s, Serial # & Hammer Forged Barrels - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 PM
MG-70

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Few questions 'bout the used CM-2s

Took the plunge and haven't received it yet (CDNN), but have some questions...

1. How do you remove the bolt from the action?

2. What serialized parts are there (that should match)?

3. Anything other than the usual I should look for? Missing sight parts, cracked or broken stock, damaged bore, etc.

Looking forward to cleaning up the stock and taking her for a spin.

TIA

Last edited by aom22; 08-27-2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Restore Title
Old 08-18-2008, 09:52 PM
harris hawk
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG-70 View Post
Took the plunge and haven't received it yet (CDNN), but have some questions...

1. How do you remove the bolt from the action?

2. What serialized parts are there (that should match)?

3. Anything other than the usual I should look for? Missing sight parts, cracked or broken stock, damaged bore, etc.

Looking forward to cleaning up the stock and taking her for a spin.

TIA
On my "Vostok" CM-2 that I got from CDNN,...

1)Pull the trigger back, and slide the bolt out. Just like on a Mosin-Nagant.

2)On mine the receiver, bolt, and butt plate are all stamped, and matching. I could've sworn the rear sight was stamped also when I had it all apart. Matching is sweet, but not necessary, IMO.

3)Mine came with only one size rear aperture, and only one front app insert. Everything else was there, and in very good condition.

I think you'll fall in love with it, I did with mine! Hope this helps some.
Michael
Old 08-18-2008, 10:07 PM
MG-70

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Michael,
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll check those parts carefully for the serial number. I'm definitely looking forward to cleaning and shooting this one.

Say, how did you know I'm into Mosin Nagants also?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 11:15 PM
motohead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bolt removal

Another variation I guess. My Vostok has a bolt release on the left side of the receiver. Rest of the stuff was about the same.

moto
Old 08-19-2008, 11:16 AM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine has the left side bolt release lever as well--I bet you get one like mine as I got mine about a month ago from the same place. You'll be amazed at what you got for a mere $299 and ground shipping. Mine has the serial number "1100" stamped on bolt, barrel, receiver and even the stock.

Last edited by white house; 08-19-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 PM
harris hawk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG-70 View Post
Michael,
Thanks for the quick reply! Say, how did you know I'm into Mosin Nagants also?

Cheers
No problem. I'm psychic ! Just to prove it, I'm going to say that you are probably a Gunboards member. Correct?
Michael
Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 PM
harris hawk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motohead View Post
Another variation I guess. My Vostok has a bolt release on the left side of the receiver. Rest of the stuff was about the same.

moto
MH, and WH, I have an older Vostok that I got from Century that has the bolt release lever on the left side, and has the heavy duty bolt. Both my rifles have the dove tail for the rear sights on the left side as well. One rifle is stamped "Vostok" CM-2, the older rifle is stamped "Vostok" YPA/\ . What stampings do your respective rifles have on them?
Michael
Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 PM
MG-70

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I thought the Century Arms Vostoks were Urals or some other model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris hawk View Post
No problem. I'm psychic ! Just to prove it, I'm going to say that you are probably a Gunboards member. Correct?
Michael
Yup, a regular there on a handful of "forums" since at least two software upgrades.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:15 PM
motohead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stampings

Mine has the grooved receiver ( front & rear), Heavy 3 lug bolt, right side = YPA/\-2 Pretty sure this is Russian for URAL-2, left side= A-13** (rec/bolt/stock/butt pad all marked with ser. no.), Vostok, Made in USSR. This one was bought from my local dealer last March. Came with a white inventory tag on it from Century Arms. I wonder how many versions there are?

moto

Last edited by motohead; 08-19-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stampings and details of my CM2

Quote:
MH, and WH, I have an older Vostok that I got from Century that has the bolt release lever on the left side, and has the heavy duty bolt. Both my rifles have the dove tail for the rear sights on the left side as well. One rifle is stamped "Vostok" CM-2, the older rifle is stamped "Vostok" YPA/\. What stampings do your respective rifles have on them?
Michael
Stock has "1100" deeply imprinted in black ink at most distal point before muzzle.
There is an embedded aluminum slide rail from 1-11cm graduations ventrally in the forearm stock for attachments.
Bolt Arm (not knob) has "1100" imprinted, bolt knob has 3 ring grooves.
Receiver has "Made in USSR VOSTOK YPAA M-1100" and beds flat on top of inside stock channel cut out for it. There are serrations in receiver bed and upon stock where the metal bedding is imprinted on the wood. There are 3 receiver screws, two going through the trigger guard assembly (one steel piece) into receiver bottom and one going through top of back of bolt sleeve (end) into mating receiver (bottom behind trigger guard). There is a "459" number stamped on bottom of receiver hidden by stock.
Barrel is 26" and completely free floating and clear of all stock contact except for receiver bed.
Wood to metal fit is perfect with a little space between all abutments.
Bolt has 3 rear locking lugs equilaterally spaced and machined to fit evenly and snug when bolt is locked.
There is no corrosion or rust or discoloration of any metal anywhere. Bluing is even and deep shiny black from front sight and muzzle (not crown-crown is silver and shiny and recessed perfectly by visual and magnified inspection) to end of receiver where it beds (tang of bolt sleeve area) in hand grip.
Stock is cut checkered with palm swell and on forearm. Stock has no cracks or splits or any sign of trauma with receiver. All receiver screws screw in evenly and to same tightness without any effort to secure stock and barrel assembly/receiver.
Buttplate is a 3 piece affair; an inner steel insert blank that is screwed into stock butt, aluminum base screwed into blank, moving (sliding) aluminum butt-plate with rubber at end.
Lands and grooves are 6. Lands appear to have extra ridges to contact surfaces in addition to contact plane (designed by rifling tool) for purchase on bullet side surfaces).
Chamber has no evidence of firing ring ahead of case (as is most often seen in most chambers where cartridges have been fired).
Buttplate has "1100" imprinted top side, has knurled adj knob on right side for butt adjustment. Rubber pad on heel of buttplate.
Sights imprinted: "UEHA 1 WE AYKA HR 50 -2.5CM"
Underside of barrel imprinted: "CM2 .22LR KNOX TN"
Sights mount on left side rail.
Bore is perfect.
Crown is perfect.
A lever on left side releases the bolt from action.

Last edited by white house; 08-24-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Travelor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
Not a CM-2

motohead, I do too think you have a CM-2, but rather a VOSTOK. Never seem or heard of a CM-2 with your bold or markings.

And a very important thing to look for in a CM-2 is a grooved receiver in front of the ejection/feed port. THis makes scoping it MUCH easier.

George
Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 PM
harris hawk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't believe MH's rifle is a CM-2 either, I believe it's probably a version of the "Vostok" Ural(YPA/\). That's kind of where I was going with my line of questions, and the comparision of my two rifles. They both say "Vostok" on them, but they also have CM-2, and YPA/\ as secondary markings, which I believe denotes the two obviously different models. I also have seen different variations on both of these type rifles. MH did you say yours came from CDNN? If so, I'd like to get another "Ural" myself. When I got my "Vostok" CM-2 from them, I specifically ask if they had any "Vostok" Urals(YPA/\), and they said "no Urals". I own many types of quality milsurp rifles, but these rifles rank right up there with the best of them in just about every aspect considered, especially VALUE !!!
Michael
Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 PM
MG-70

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Can the CM-2s not be distinguished by action, as in receiver, bolt, trigger, etc. or simply bolt?

Do the NEW CM-2 bolts and/or triggers resemble those of the used CM-2 as sold by CDNN?

I think we're looking at an evolution of a design or class of rifle (for the same discipline, or whatever you call it, class, etc.), as made by Vostok, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit of these guns had been rebuilt and restamped prior to storage and subsequent sale.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 PM
motohead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More 411

I forgot to add that some of the barrels show the hammer marks on the barrel and some have been turned down, assuming that they are all hammer forged initially.

moto
Old 08-20-2008, 10:22 PM
motohead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I don't believe MH's rifle is a CM-2 either, I believe it's probably a version of the "Vostok" Ural(YPA/\). That's kind of where I was going with my line of questions, and the comparision of my two rifles. They both say "Vostok" on them, but they also have CM-2, and YPA/\ as secondary markings, which I believe denotes the two obviously different models. I also have seen different variations on both of these type rifles. MH did you say yours came from CDNN? If so, I'd like to get another "Ural" myself. When I got my "Vostok" CM-2 from them, I specifically ask if they had any "Vostok" Urals(YPA/\), and they said "no Urals". I own many types of quality milsurp rifles, but these rifles rank right up there with the best of them in just about every aspect considered, especially VALUE !!!
Michael
hawk,
The underside of the barrel had "C.A.I. Georgia, Vt. Cal .22". I haven't checked, but I think it's Century Arms.

moto