Toz-78- where to find? - SOURCE: Spare Parts for TOZ 78 & 99 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:02 PM
vercingetorix

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Toz-78- where to find?

I am shooting more and more .22lr these days. I have a Marlin 39, which is an outstanding rifle, but I am looking for a bolt action mostly to sling up with a 1907 type shooting sling and practice offhand. It will also be used for a woods carry rifle.

I am looking for something that is substantial and accurate, yet inexpensive, and have read about the Toz here, but cannot find any on the internet. Have they dried up?

I would appreciate any links to distributors that still have them, or suggestions for another rifle that might fit my bill.

-John

Last edited by aom22; 02-23-2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Restore Post Title
Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 PM
kart racer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
http://www.ssmedwi.com/Rifles%20page%203.htm
Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 PM
vercingetorix

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you, I had not seen ones that nice and was thinking more along the lines of what centerfire systems was selling a while back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 11:38 PM
ThePenguinKnight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unfortunately, the 78-01 seems to have gone extinct among distributers. It really is a great little woods gun, especially for <$150. A shame Winchester is doing such a horrible job with the Wildcat line.

BTW, Winchester sells a re-badged version of the TOZ 78-01 under the name "Wildcat". Winchester hasn't been doing really well with them from what I've heard, and they lack the excellenct adjustable trigger, but they are supposedly of the same breed as the TOZ line.

The 78-01s are toast for the forseeable future, so unless you find someone willing to part with theirs, you probably won't have much luck.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:28 AM
vercingetorix

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguinKnight View Post
Unfortunately, the 78-01 seems to have gone extinct among distributers. It really is a great little woods gun, especially for <$150. A shame Winchester is doing such a horrible job with the Wildcat line.

BTW, Winchester sells a re-badged version of the TOZ 78-01 under the name "Wildcat". Winchester hasn't been doing really well with them from what I've heard, and they lack the excellenct adjustable trigger, but they are supposedly of the same breed as the TOZ line.

The 78-01s are toast for the forseeable future, so unless you find someone willing to part with theirs, you probably won't have much luck.
Been looking around more, and this seems to be the case. For me, that 78-04 previously linked would run $210 after shipping and transfer. Seems like a decent .22 bolt action for under $200 might be too good to be true unless I find a local deal.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
If the Winchester Wildcat continues a downturned trend . . .

. . . it might be possible that Winchester drops the line altogether and Tula brings back the original TOZ 78 in original format. In meantime, just keep looking - maybe a WTB ad in RFS Classifieds might net you a bite.

Fwiw, the Marlin and Savage bolts, especially older models, are in your < $200 price bracket. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Keep watching the classifieds here, thats what I did, a nice young man no longer needed his and now its on its way to me. I saw one at the Greensboro Gun Show a couple of weeks ago, they have become hard to find.

Gerald
Old 02-21-2008, 09:37 AM
ThePenguinKnight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've never actually seen one at a gun shop in my area, and the shop owners had never heard of the guns either when I asked. I do occasionally see one pop through the classified section here, once in a while on gunbroker too. While I don't have experience with htem, Marlin and Savage make some acclaimed models for a good price as JR said, and they're definitely easier to get a hold of.

If your heart's really set on the 78, you can try doing the occasional search here and on Gunbroker.com for "Tula .22," " TOZ," or "Whisper." Each of those has yielded results in the past, and you might get lucky
Old 02-21-2008, 02:56 PM
vercingetorix

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I've never actually seen one at a gun shop in my area, and the shop owners had never heard of the guns either when I asked. I do occasionally see one pop through the classified section here, once in a while on gunbroker too. While I don't have experience with htem, Marlin and Savage make some acclaimed models for a good price as JR said, and they're definitely easier to get a hold of.

If your heart's really set on the 78, you can try doing the occasional search here and on Gunbroker.com for "Tula .22," " TOZ," or "Whisper." Each of those has yielded results in the past, and you might get lucky
I have not seen any at shops, and only rarely see CZ, for that matter. Rimfires are not as popular as muzzleloaders, shotguns, and cheap centerfires in my neck of the woods.

My heart is not exactly set on a Toz, I just remembered the $100 or so deal centerfire had on the Whisper a while back and read about how good, for the money, these rifles were. The Toz seemed like a good idea, but my goal is primarily a substantial, accurate, and decently well made bolt action that can be used for offhand practice and the occasional bench group. I remember not being very impressed with the recent marlin and savage rifles.

Thanks for your help, however.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I believe the CZ Trainer has been mentioned to you on the CZ forum, for the money hard to beat, many of us so called CZ types started with one, many never bothered to go further. Its that good.

Gerald
Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Looter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The FFL that I used to transfer my TOZ-78 ordred three of them from CFS after he got a look at mine. I don't know what he wants for them. I know he ordered at least one with the scope included, and they came with one mag each at that time. If you're interested, you can PM me for his contact info.

PS: He may not even be willing to ship (not my favorite guy to deal with), but I guess you can ask him.

Last edited by Looter; 02-21-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:25 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TOZ 78 Varients for the USA

This thread: 78-01s? Better value than TOZ 78-04L? Source for TOZ 78-01 at $100 will give more insight into the variations of TOZ 78.

Quote:
BTW, Winchester sells a re-badged version of the TOZ 78-01 under the name &quot;Wildcat&quot;.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looter View Post
.... Winchester has no doubt singned an exculsive contract with TOZ to sell the rebadged 78 wildcat....
Winchester may have exclusive right to the TOZ 78-12.
But, it does not appear to be at the exclusion of all other TOZ 78 models from the U.S. market.
And, there is no indication the Winchester is going to, exclusively, distribute the full line of TOZ 78 models.

Such an arrangement would engender some form of formal announcement.
I haven't seen any indication of the sort from TOZ-News or Winchester-Product Information & News Articles.

However, it is possible such an arrangement may be in the works - in due course.

Quote:
2006 JSC &quot;Tulsky Oruzheiny Zavod&quot;

Quote:
In the course of &quot;SHOT SHOW-2006&quot; (USA) the representatives of TOZ conducted fruitful talks with the dealers in the USA and Canada, Latin America, Australia and Oceania. The participation in the show has become a tradition allowing Tula enterprise to successfully penetrate new markets. The presentation of the small calibre carbine TOZ-78-12 that is expected to appear in the market of the USA under the brand of &quot;Winchester Wildcat&quot; was especially favorable.
Quote:
The XXXIII International Fair IWA (10 - 13 March) has finally determined the priorities in the geographical distribution of export deliveries in 2006. JSC &quot;TOZ&quot; exhibited its products there as a part of the unified exposition of the Russian Gun-Makers Union. New modern design booths, posters emphasized the unified corporate style of the enterprise.

Out of the whole number of the articles the following set of small calibre carbines roused with the visitors the highest interest:
TOZ-78-04L - export variant with an improved stock;
TOZ-78-05 - &quot;Varmint&quot;;
TOZ-78-17- a model specially adapted for the North American market;
TOZ-99 - a self-loading small-calibre carbine.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TOZ 78-1, Still in-production ???

TOZ 78 Basic Models

Quote:
The Tulsky Oruzheiny Zavod website still list the basic model 78's.

Small-Bore Hunting Carbines TOZ-78
Quote:
The standard set of TOZ-78 includes an optical sight.
ТОZ-78 (Л)
ТОZ-78-01 (Л)
Л (translates to L)
Quote:
Letter "L" in shotgun designation indicates the stock with a cheek piece.
Accordingly, the basic TOZ-78 models should still be in-production.
It maybe the importer of the TOZ-78's is attempting to maintain
inventory control by minimizing the number of model variants they keep in-stock.

It is striking to me how price sensitive Russian firearms are.
In the case of the TOZ-78, a price over $100 dollars is too much.

The TOZ-99 at $115 dollars is a great deal - people are buying.
At what price point will sales slow?
Probably not much over $140 - still a good deal.

This makes me wonder if the Winchester Wildcat .22 will find a niche in the marketplace - considering its price.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 PM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TG International - TOZ 78 Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vercingetorix View Post
.... I would appreciate any links to distributors that still have them, or suggestions for another rifle that might fit my bill.
The TG International website still displays the earlier TOZ 78s.
Email or call them for availability

TOZ-78

Old 02-23-2008, 10:21 PM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Having had to learn to assemble and reassemble the bolt of my TOZ78-1, and seeing the "quality" of the firing pin, I'm thinking a spare is likely a good idea. Any one have knowledge of where these can be purchased? Thanks!

Gerald