Toz78: Fires .22 Short, Lg, LR - Newbie Questions or .22 Ammo Basic Info Sources - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:26 AM
musicmaniac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Toz78: Fires .22 Short, Lg, LR - Newbie Question

Hey guys,
I have been reading on here for a while now, but thought I would finally say hi and ask a question. I recently got a Toz78-01. I have a stupid question for ya... I have fired 22lr and some 22 shorts out of it. Since I am pretty new to 22's in general and don't know much about 22 ammo, can I fire 22 longs from it? I think I can, but am not sure. What about 22 magnums? I don't think I can, but like i said, don't know much about 22s. I know guns pretty well and have been shooting for about 5 years, but mostly centerfire rifles and shotguns. Anyway, thanks in advance for your help!

Sol

Last edited by aom22; 12-06-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Restore Original Title
Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 PM
DHeth

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the importers site only mentions .22LR
http://www.tennesseeguns.com/toz.html
does the manual specify what type(s) of .22 caliber ammunitions are acceptable?

If it can Handle Long Rifles and Shorts it will most likely fire Longs as well though. Longs are in between shorts and Long Rifles for headspace.

Definately wouldn't try magnums unless the firearm is specfically chambered to handle them. The Win Mag is much longer and the cartridge itself may actually contact the rifling . It also wouldn't be designed to handle the extra pressure the Magnum generates.

heres a pic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2...ter_Magnum.JPG
Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 PM
musicmaniac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Awesome. Thanks. That pic is just what I was looking for. The magnum actually appears to have a larger diamater case as well if I am correct? I feel dumb asking these questions that seem obvious, but I would rather ask and know that not. I don't really have a specific reason for wanting to fire the other cartridges, just more for my own knowledge than anything. So far I am loving this gun though. At first I was having some trouble with it not wanting to feed from the clips, but then I switched from the Remington gold bullets to some CCI blazers as suggested on some thread I found here and all is good! Accurate too! I can easily outshoot my old man's stock 10/22. Now I just need a scope for this bad boy and I will be rockin' and rollin'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 PM
beammeupscotty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MMainiac....

While pretty much any gun designed to shoot .22 LR will also accept shorts and longs, it really isn't that great an idea to shoot anytihing other than the cartridge the gun is designed for. The reason for this is that the chamber is machined to a certain length, in this case the proper length for a .22 LR cartridge. A shorter cartridge will fit, but does not actually fill up the chamber. You will likely get lesser accuracy from shorts and longs as a result. Considering the comparative rarity of shorts and longs these days, I really cannot think of any reason you should be shooting anything except LR in your TOZ.

Magnums are out of the question. They will not fit at all as the chamber is too short for them.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:20 PM
DHeth

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its like a firearm designed to handle .223 cartridges.

Yes , you can fire 5.56 NATO rounds in it, they appear nearly identical to .223 Rems. But its probably not designed to handle the extra pressures of 5.56 military cartridges.

Over hundreds or thousands of rounds fired it could cause a malfunction in the firearm and be potentially dangerous or deadly to the operator or bystanders.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:31 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.22 Rimfire Ammunition

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaniac View Post
Since I am pretty new to 22's in general and don't know much about 22 ammo, ... but like i said, don't know much about 22s.
musicmaniac,

Have you looked at this Forum?
or
Have you read this thread?
Quote:
must read for all newbies ......22 Ammunition Basics - Reference Links

Last edited by aom22; 11-21-2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Add weblink
Old 12-06-2007, 02:15 PM
musicmaniac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you sir! Those are very informative. Although a few of the links within the threads you linked to don't work, I now know more than I did before. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:12 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Missing Links ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaniac View Post
... Although a few of the links within the threads you linked to don't work, I now know more than I did before ...
Some missing thread Links ... that are not connecting.

22ammo.com

FAQ About .22 Rimfire Ammunition

Various .22 LR Ammunition Velocities