Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Syndil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BB 1st range report

Finally made it out to the range to test out my new BB. I had attempted to make it out to the Clark State Forest range once before but was deterred by snow. Had a semi-decent shooting day on March 1st and was able to test some ammo. I picked up the cheapest boxes of ammo I could find at Kiesler's, hoping that my BB would like one of the cheap brands.

Weather was about 45 degrees. They have shooting tables at the Clark State Forest range, but I didn't bring anything with me to support the rifle, so I could have gotten better results with a shooting bench. Instead I used a pistol case to support the forestock of the rifle. Target was level with the rifle at 50 yards. Scope was a BSA Air Rifle 2-7x32.

First thing that struck me was the trigger pull. It is amazing. I had heard that the stock BB has a nice trigger pull with a weight of around 1-3 lbs, but mine feels like it's under a pound. The trigger weight is steady throughout the entire length of the pull and does not get heavier as it is about to break. When it does, it's a surprise because you can't anticipate it. There were simply no hints to let me know that it was about to break.

Here's the results:

PMC Scoremaster, 1 1/2" group, $2.95 a box

Aguila Golden Eagle Match, 1 7/8" group, $2.39 a box

Aguila Golden Eagle Target, 1 1/4" group, $2.39 a box

Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity, 1 1/8" group $1.95 a box

CCI Standard Velocity, 1 5/8" group, $5.95 / 100

Much to my glee, the cheapest ammo also performed the best, producing the smallest grouping in a tidy pattern. Next time I will bring a shooting bench and see if I can reproduce the results.

Overall I was absolutely giddy at how well my rifle performed. I simply couldn't be happier with it. Hopefully once I get it on the bench and properly sighted in, I can get even tighter groups. I have just about had it with the cold weather--I want to get back out to the range!
Old 03-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Syndil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BTW here are a few more pics (rifle pics were previously posted).

Rifle when I first got it, along with the ammo I picked up for testing:

First attempt at Clark State Forest. I should have heeded this warning:

The infamous hill that prevented me from testing the rifle the first time, as it was covered with a solid sheet of ice, covered by slush:

And here's what the layout of the range was like. This photo taken last year:
Old 03-07-2008, 11:48 PM
riggins
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I absolutely love my BB and know that you are going to be amazed with the groups. Spring is not far off and you will have lots of time to play. Don't forget your front rest and sandbags next time.

enjoy

Bob Riggins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2008, 12:37 AM
45-70
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BB Rifles

I have had 3 BB's and each of them were fantastic shooters. I purchased the second one because the stock was darker wood, more like walnut. Then a friend wanted the first one to take to Montana for P Dogs, so I sold it to him and used the money to buy a CZ. The third one that I bought turns out to be the earliest manufacture and has the CM style stock and now it is my favorite. I also use the BSA 2-7x32 Air Rilfe scopes, and I think that they are just right for .22lr use. But I won't part with either! Amaizing rifles.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:23 AM
Syndil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am thrilled with my BB but a CZ Ultra Lux is still next on my list. Sometimes I want to plink with open sights so I clearly need something other than the BB. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.