Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:01 AM
chim
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Buckmark Grip Frame information

NOTE - Added info at the end of the original post
There have been a few questions recently concerning the use of other grips on a URX, UDX and Challenge frames. Unfortunately, I only have pistols with the standard and URX frames for comparison. Here are some pics showing what standard sized grips look like on the URX frame.

Standard grips "fit" a URX frame in that they bolt right on. Since there are front-to-rear dimensional differences between a standard and URX frame, they certainly don't fit in the true sense of the word. There are overhangs and gaps. The Nill grips look like they fit better than standard grips on the URX frame. That's because the rear of the Nill grips is closed except for the very top.

The Nills on the Contour URX in the one photo are comfortable. I don't notice the gap at the top rear, and the overhang at the lower front of the frame isn't distracting. I plan on shooting this gun as-is in our league matches.

Here are some pics to show you what I mean:

This is a shot of a standard Buck Mark grip on the URX frame showing the overhang at the rear of the frame.

Here is one showing the same grip (front overhang)

Here's one with a Nill grip with the front overhang

A rear view of the Nill on the URX with right grip removed to see the gap

A better shot of the top rear

Finally, a side view of the Nill on the URX

Now you can see what I mean when I said "fit" at the beginning of the post. Grips made for a standard grip frame will fasten to the URX frame. Because of the way the Nills are made, they fit better than regular grips. If I didn't want to use the Nills on other pistols, I'd consider removing a little material from the front edges and they'd look like they were made for the URX frame...................chim

EDIT 12/4/2013 to add info:
Questions keep arising on the Buck Mark grips and frames. Here's a rundown of what I am aware of at this date.

1. Standard Frame (Standard and UFX Grips) - This was the original Buck Mark frame. It is essentially a Challenger II/III frame with a hole added for a 1911 style mag release when it transitioned to a Buck Mark. For some time after the introduction this was the only frame available. It didn't matter whether the grips were the original black slabs, fancy rosewood or wraparound walnut. Everything fit this frame. This frame nearly went extinct a couple years back when different grip styles were introduced. For a brief period this frame was only used on a couple models. It is now being used for the newer UFX grips.

2. Challenge (Challenge, URX and Buck Mark Rifle Grips) - This frame was introduced for shooters with smaller hands. It is the same width as all other frames but is (A) shorter in the front-to-back dimension and (B) has a slightly different shape. See the pic below. The left frame is a Challenge/URX frame. The one on the right is a Standard/UFX. Note the different curve on the backstrap. It doesn't taper out wider on the bottom as the Standard frame on the right. It has a little forward curl at the bottom of the front strap. Its smaller front-to rear dimension made it the go-to frame when Browning wanted to have the wraparound rubber grip and keep it small enough so it fit more shooters. I have some wraparound wood grips for the Standard frame and thank goodness I have hands like King Kong so they fit.

3. URX - See#2 Above

4. UDX - Unfortunately I don't own one of these for a grips-off picture. The only grips that fit this frame are UDX. It has scalloped wood grips and the frame has small corresponding scallops in the front of the frame. It COULD be a URX frame with the front strap whittled away but I'm not certain. If that is the case, you may be able to get a URX grip on it.

5. UFX - See #1 above

Please note that the grip info is based on factory grips available for the frames. Some aftermarket offerings are made to fit the different frames.

Yes, I know that all Buck Mark frames have the same holes for screws and the mag release. What that means is you will be able to fasten grips I didn't mention to different frames. Of course it also means that they will look - as Flys would say - "like Charlie Romeo Alpha Poppa" because they'll hang out some places and be short others as in the pictures included in the original post avove.

Last edited by chim; 12-04-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: fixed pictures
Old 08-31-2007, 12:40 PM
BrianAZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Chim, I remember you posting pics of the Nills a few months ago, and saying something like "they weren't meant for a two handed hold" (paraphrasing)? If you remember that comment, I was wondering if you meant that they were not ambidextrous, or that they weren't designed for using the left hand for support... I love the way the Nills look, but I'm only a recreational shooter, and pretty much always use both hands.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM
rusty22

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
great post...

first of all, thanks again for taking the time to answer all the questions that "inquiring minds" want to know.

as far as the "gaps and overhangs" go, maybe someone can come up with a semi-permanent solution to filling in the gaps. it's the same concept as those "interchangable" backstraps on some pistols. all it would take is some molded rubber pieces and some double sided tape.

-rusty22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 03:20 PM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Brian, what I meant by the "not made for two-handed shooting" comment was that your non-dominant hand won't wrap nicely like it does with standard ambi grips. The target grips are made either right or left handed. Obviously any grip can be supported with the second hand, but with grips made specifically for one hand target shooting it can feel a little awkward.

I'm right handed, and the target grips fit my right hand perfectly. It would be difficult for me to shoot it with my left hand...................chim
Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 AM
JonF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Awesome work chim, this is exactly the info i've been looking for to seal my buckmark contour purchase decision!

Jon.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:16 AM
RugerRedhawk

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't know all the differences between buckmark models, but isn't the new grip style one of the main reasons to buy a URX?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:08 PM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerRedhawk View Post
I don't know all the differences between buckmark models, but isn't the new grip style one of the main reasons to buy a URX?
Yes and no. The URX grips magically fit a wide variety of hand sizes and they are comfy. The other issue is that some models like the Contour, aren't available with the full-sized frame. So if you want a Contour, you end up with the URX by default.

Aftermarket grip availability is limited for the full-sized frame, and even moreso for the whittled-down frame.................chim

Last edited by chim; 12-04-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:22 PM
RugerRedhawk

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ok, that makes sense.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM
DOGMAN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This sucks. I've been looking for a Buckmark micro , but I like the old grips. So all I can find are the URX's.....So I guess I'll keep looking...
Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM
docnugent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGMAN View Post
This sucks. I've been looking for a Buckmark micro , but I like the old grips. So all I can find are the URX's.....So I guess I'll keep looking...
You could buy a non-URX Camper pistol (the cheapest model, I believe), and swap in a Micro 4" barrel for about $90 more. Might be pretty close in price to a Micro model (I haven't checked) and you have either a spare Camper barrel or one to sell.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM
DOGMAN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Are there any AfterMarket grips for the URX?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Dennis G
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Grips from the Buck Mark Rifle will fit perfectly. They are wood and come in grey and brown and are available from Browning for about $50. You will also need the BM rifle grip screws. I have a set in grey on my SS Camper. I did have to elongate the hole on the back of each grip slightly. I sprayed mine with a gloss Miniwax finish and sanded them slightly when dry with #800 paper to get a smooth glossy surface that looks great with the stainless camper. Gives the gun a whole different look compared to the standard rubber grips.
There is a detailed thread in this forum on the subject.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:42 AM
photoracer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One of these days I need to get a set of the Nill grips for one one BM I have that I could setup for bullseye shooting again.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:34 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If you're into bullseye, Randall Fung makes anatomical grips for the URX frame. His website still says "Not Contour models" 2 full years after he made the grips shown below for my Contour URX:

http://www.jnb.com/~funggrip/

(Sorry for the crummy cell phone pics)

DrGunner
Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 AM
photoracer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yeah he is the guy out in CA. His prices are similar to Nill, with maybe slightly better quality.