Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:54 AM
63Chuck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
80% (3)
Bearcat

I shoot an old 6 1/2" single six. No transfer bar. Adjustable sights. Shoots excellent.
I often carry a Bearcat with the .22 Mag cylinder loaded with .22 WRF. Very few Bearcats with the .22 mag. cylinder survived the silly recall.
The old SS is considerably more accurate, but a much bigger pistol , obviously.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Sundancer
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both, prefer the Cat

I know the origin of this thread is old, but i couldn't resist adding my two cents! I own one of the letter serial numbered BearCats (1960) and a Single Six (1989). Have owned each since purchased new. Both are good guns, both are relatively accurate and shoot well. Have never had a problem. I personally prefer the Cat. It's smaller, fits my hand better, is lighter and is very simple to swing onto the target. The Six will reach out a bit farther with a bit better accuracy due to the longer barrel. Both are great and I have no plans to get rid of either.

I carried the loaded Cat in Nam in 1965 and 1966. I never fired it in combat! I knew it was too small to do much but it was my good luck charm.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Clem
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In the 8 years since I first responded to this discussion, my 5 1/2" Single Six went back to the factory for a new 6 1/2" barrel and new cylinders. It was key holing at less than 10 yds. Now it is quite accurate. My little blued Bearcat hasn't had anything else done to it. It is fine as is, but my stainless Bearcat went to the Cylinder and Slide shop for S&W J frame sights. When I got it back the front sight was a nice ramp too narrow to use, so I had the sight replaced with a Ruger front sight from the MK III. Now I can see the sights and I find it shoots quite well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2015, 06:32 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Yes and no on the ownership . . .

. . . I don't own a Bearcat, but my brother does, now about 20 years. I wanted a birdshead gripped Single-Six, but I could not find one for a reasonable price. So settled on the Heritage birdshead gripped short barrel. A bit smaller than the Bearcat, but much heavier - its steel framed. An old Single-Six and my Super Super Single-Six round out the group.

The fixed sights on the old Single-Six, Heritage and Bearcat require some 'Kentucky Windage' when shooting some of the varieties, but they'll do for close range.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:29 PM
ajgunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Old 09-24-2015, 08:28 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
its always fun when someone re-births an old thread and current posters find it interesting enough to add new posts ,

i have no bearcat , but i have the single six -

Old 10-12-2015, 07:21 PM
stillsearchin'
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have both. I keep the Bearcat loaded with 60gr Aguila Sniper Subsonic rounds for the heavier bullet weight. I keep the Single Six loaded with WMR cylinder. I enjoy shooting both of them, but my kids prefer the Bearcat.
I don't plan on parting with either one of them!
Old 10-14-2015, 11:02 PM
ajgunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete44ru View Post
Why would someone scroll through & read multiple pages, when all that's needed is a search function for whatever ?

It sounds like you're upset that someone did so.

Some of us might have missed it the first time around.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:05 PM
jstert
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i have the ss, bearcat and shopkeeper, and in this order i like shooting them. the shopkeeper is the prettiest of the three, but as with the bearcat, i cannot quite get a 100% comfortable grip on it. too bad because these two are very handy for a walk in the woods. all three are mechanical jewels.

i added an 8shot 22wmr cylinder by story to the 5.5" ss, and it shoots perfectly.

i am also happy with a heritage 4.5" roughrider 9shot 22lr/wmr.

at least one of these single actions is essential for any shooter.

Last edited by jstert; 03-11-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Bearnut

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It's a coin toss...which one I like better just depends on the weather or the stars I guess. Bearcat best on some days; Single Six other days. What a pleasant dilemma!
Old 11-08-2015, 12:03 AM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have a super single six, for 39 years.
9" barrel .. bought it new in 76'
Great shooting pistol.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:13 PM
popplecop
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm one of those that missed this thread until now. I have bot an old 3 screw Single six and my Bearcat I believe is first production anyway serial no. begins with a F Both accurate and love shooting them, both in original condition too.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:58 PM
Scott B.
US Marines Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have never had a single six but I currently have the new Bearcat Shopkeeper and I am definitely happy with it. Great little woods walking gun with a build quality that should last several lifetimes.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:31 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by popplecop View Post
I'm one of those that missed this thread until now. I have bot an old 3 screw Single six and my Bearcat I believe is first production anyway serial no. begins with a F Both accurate and love shooting them, both in original condition too.
Bearcat serials began with 1 and went to 999. Then they started over, but with a letter in front, going through the whole alphabet. Then a three digit prefix started at 91, I think it's now at 93.

A "F" serial is apparently 1959 (per Ruger's website), their second year. Somewhere between the six and seven thousandth one.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:14 AM
rwphilli

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have a Single Six that's great for plinking. I have a Shopkeeper too, but it's yet to be fired. It's such a pretty little gun, that I hate to get it dirty