Any owners of SingleSix AND Bearcat here? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Skychief

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any owners of SingleSix AND Bearcat here?

I have and REALLY like my Single Six, but no bearcat. I wonder if those who have had both would share their opinions about the bearcat as I am very familiar with the SS. I want a smaller(and lighter) revolver to take in the woods with me for work and play. So, how does the Bearcat stack up against the SingleSix in regards to packability, accuracy and dependability? Thanks!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 PM
ShootNut
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The Bearcat is a great little pistol. I have one of the older ones, its as accurate as my single six. Dependability? its a Ruger! what else do you need to know
Old 05-09-2007, 09:03 PM
The Old Redneck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bearcats

One of the most accurate 22 revolvers I have owned was one of the first Bearcats, one of the worst shooting 22 revolvers was a Bearcat. Most are good guns and shoot well for what they were built for. I would love to have my first one back, and keep buying and trading them looking for another one like it. A friend has one that I shot a cylinder full into under 2" at 20 yards offhand a few weeks ago. He will not even talk about selling it. They fit in a hip pocket for a walk around gun just great. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 11:34 PM
blime81

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Redneck View Post
They fit in a hip pocket for a walk around gun just great.
Yeah I love the little bearcats. For a good solid and still packable single action 22 they really can't be beat! Here is one of mine sandwiched with a pair of single sixes.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Clem
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 5 SS Single Six and a blued and SS Bearcat. I have large hands and the Bearcats are a little difficult to shoot well due to their small grip and light weight. They are very sensitive to a consistent grip. They both shoot surprisingly well. I did have to open the rear sight notch with a small file to be able to see the front sight. I am tempted to send one to Cylinder and Slide shop to have S&W J frame sights added.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Deadi
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have a 5.5 inch blued single six and a Stainless Bearcat. If I really need to hit what I am shooting at I take the Single Six. The Bearcat is by far the most fun of the two. Both will roll tin cans at reasonable distances. The Bearcat is harder to shoot accurately than the Single Six, but I find myself taking the Bearcat with me on my outings more than the Single Six.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:04 PM
slabsides

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As Clem said, in a man's hand they are small and hard to shoot well. And of course the fixed sights...
I''ve owned two. A very early four digit gift that I returned later to the friend who gave it, and a late old model that shot so far off the sights I took it back after test-firing it. I don't like to monkey with turning barrels and filing or building up fixed sights. If they don't shoot POI, I get rid of them. Newer stainless BC's might make nice 'kit' guns, if they didn't cost so much for what you get. I say go with the Single Six: an altogether superior handgun.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
DMZ
US Army Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Single Six and a Bearcat. They are both fine revolvers, but I tend to grab the Bearcat much more often than the Single Six.

The Bearcat is a natural pointer, POI=POA, is easy to carry and a lot of fun to shoot. I seem to be able to get it up and on target very quickly without really trying to attain the right sight picture, which I tend to do with the adjustable sight Single Six.

My vote goes to the Bearcat.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:05 PM
bigbobg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skychief View Post
I have and REALLY like my Single Six, but no bearcat. I wonder if those who have had both would share their opinions about the bearcat as I am very familiar with the SS. I want a smaller(and lighter) revolver to take in the woods with me for work and play. So, how does the Bearcat stack up against the SingleSix in regards to packability, accuracy and dependability? Thanks!!!
I own a bearcat shopkeeper and a stainless 4 5/8 single six. Both are Lipseys specials. I bought them at the same time because I couldn't choose one. It's the only time I've bought two guns in one day.
For packability the bearcat wins. The single six gets the nod for accuracy. I'd call it a tie for dependability.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Lefty Dude
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like my many RSS's, but for a light weight, accurate packer/hiker 22 my S&W 34 kit gun is hard to beat.
The Ruger B.C., not so much. and I have owned many in the last 40 years.
I also carry my RSS shorty if not the S&W 34.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

In the past 45 (or so) years, I've owned/carried/shot about 8 different Single-Six's & Super Single-Six's (blue/carbon & stainless), and 5 different Bearcat's & steel-frame Super Bearcat's.

I've sent almost all down the road, in their own time.

The Single-Six's, were accurate enough & indestructible; I couldn't get any of the fixed-sight Bearcats that would shoot to their sights (regardless of how many different brands/loads I tried).

About 3 years ago, though, I took a chance on another Bearcat (ca.1969) that was reasonably priced, and whaddya know - It shot to the sights with every brand/type ammo I had ! !

Knowing I was going to keep it, I treated it to a set of Elkhorn Stag grips, courtesy of Sack Peterson (google).

Here's my Single-Six, an Old Model (3-screw) RSSM

Last edited by Pete44ru; 10-31-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Clem
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBait View Post
Did you happen to notice this thread is over 7 YEARS OLD ?
Yes I did. In the last 7 years I have sent my Single Six to Ruger to get a new barrel. It now shoots very nicely. I also had S&W J frame sights put on my stainless Bearcat. It now has sights I can actually see. What a concept! My grandson is now 7. Next week I have to think of something to do with him for a few hours. He may be big enough to try the Bearcat now.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:44 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I noticed this is old. For future readers, FWIW:

I had a stainless 5.5 inch Single-Six, then bought a stainless Bearcat. Then I bought a second stainless Bearcat and sold the SS.

I never used the WMR cylinder, and it weighed a pound more than a Bearcat. Got kinda old on a lengthy range session. All I lost was having adjustable sights, but both of my Bearcats shoot fine with what they have, actually better than the SS once I remember the right sight picture for the distance.

My two Bearcats are my favorite guns.......
Old 10-07-2014, 02:15 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Actually I bought my bearcat in 1960 while working in Oregon as a summer job with the USFS on the Ochoco NF. The porcupines were like fleas and chewing up a lot of young ponderosa. The districts had a contest going to see which could kill the most porkies. I can't remember whether our district won or not, but that little pistol was light to carry and I could shoot a porcupine out of a tree in a heart beat. Later when I was in Montana out of college on the Flathead NF I got a lot of fool hens and grouse with it.

It was stolen while I was back in grad school and I replaced it with a SS in 1966. I like it real well and get it out from time to time. A couple years ago I got to looking for a bearcat again. After buying my first one for $40.00, the $400 price tag when Ruger started making them again blew me away! I finally found a nice one, not the original model, a couple years ago and finally replaced my bearcat. I love to carry that on my hip anytime I am out in the field. I haven't gotten to where I can shoot it as well as my first one, but that is only because I haven't shot it as much.

Both are great guns. I also have a '79 standard that I finally put different sights on and it shoots really well for me. A formidable trio of guns.
VH
Old 10-07-2014, 09:03 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I Have a Earlier Bearcat + A Flatgate Single Six & also a New Model Single Six Convertible 5 1/2" from 1979 or 1980