TOZ 78 - Tula, Winchester Wildcat 22 (aka TOZ 78-12), Optical Sights, USA Peep Sights - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 PM
rigormootis
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Folks - if/when this Wildcat does actually see the light of day, does anyone know is it's magazines are identical to the TOZ 78 mags?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Nukem140

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can confirm that the win/TOZ is seeing the light of day. I held one at Gander mountain in Charleston WV today. The wood is nicer than on my TOZ 78-1 and the bolt is nickel or stainless. I think the wood is beech stained to look walnut though. The receiver and barrel are both stamped TOZ and Winchester is "electrocut" into the rear left side of the receiver. The bolt is loose when in the back position just like the TOZ. Sights are much like a 10-22. While the paddlewheel isn't exactly pretty on the TOZ, I prefer it over the new sights. Basically the same gun with a few cosmetic improvements but nothing struck me as better quality as far as machining. I was not able to see/hold a clip. The clerks were backed up and I wasn't willing to wait just for a look. I will say that I'm glad I got the TOZ for $100 instead of the Win. They made maybe $50 worth of cosmetic improvements and are charging $179 more........
Old 06-07-2007, 06:51 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester Wildcat vs TOZ 78

Nukem140

Are you going back to Gander Mountain anytime soon?
Have a digital camera?

If it is possible, could you post some pictures of the rifle and clip?
Sure would make a great post.

Thanks, aom22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Looter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
magazine difference

The Wildcat still has TOZ-78 markings so I'd be willing to bet the mags are identical. Though it would be nice to see some improvement in that dept.

UPDATE: The Wildcat mags I bought at a gun show are essentially the same design as those for my TOZ-78, except the for one slight difference.

here's my thread on the subject:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=212438

Last edited by Looter; 08-15-2008 at 02:58 AM. Reason: new info
Old 06-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Nukem140

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After re-reading my post, I must correct that the bolt handle is stainless/nickle not the whole bolt. I do have a digital Camera and will be back through Charleston once or twice in the next week. IF "IF" gander will let me take pics, I will.....I am in sales and might convince them that it will help their sales
If you didn't get from my first post, I'm not impressed with the new offering over the TOZ. The barrel is even stamped "made in russia" if that matters... It will take me until at least early to mid next week before I can post some pics IF they let me take them.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:51 AM
Cardboard_killer

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looter View Post
The Wildcat still has TOZ-78 markings so I'd be willing to bet the mags are identical. Though it would be nice to see some improvement in that dept.
The wildcat manual is up on the winch website for download (http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodin...2_wildcat.pdf). The mags in the manual look identical.

The manual also states:

"The receiver of your Wildcat rifle is grooved for standard
3⁄8" nominal rimfire scope rings. See your Winchester
Rifles and Shotguns dealer to purchase the rings designed
for this mounting system and the scope you intend to use."

Does the TOZ-78's share the same 3/8" grooves?

Last edited by Cardboard_killer; 06-08-2007 at 05:55 AM. Reason: added link
Old 06-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Princi
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I was in India in March, you could get 44 rupees for a US Dollar, now it is 40. My wife accidentally charged a business expense to her American Credit card. When we got the money from her company, it was $512 less than what we owed on the credit card. What happened? Weak dollar.

Winchester may find that it isn't as inexpensive to make the guns in Russia after all, but they will probably just pass the added expense on to the consumer.

I wonder if they have labor unions in Russia. Anyone know?

Incidentally, I bought my TOZ-78 from Military Gun Supply (MGS) in Fort Worth (they are sold out now). I took it home, cleaned it, and took it to the range the next day. On the way home I went back to MGS and bought another one to put a scope on it.

I didn't like the trigger on the 99, so I didn't buy one of those. (They still had one left as of last Friday.)

I love my Russian guns. (Oh for you drifters, I love my K-31 too, but the first time I shot it was off sandbags. I took aim at the target, with several people watching me, moved my head out of the way and pulled the trigger. The gun went off, and the bolt stayed in the receiver. I should have charged them an entertainment fee. )
Old 06-08-2007, 10:01 PM
TheJH
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I handled one today at my local gun shop. It looked pretty nice. The mag looked the same as my TOZ but seemed to be of better quality. I like the stock, the pistol grip area is fatter. I like the sites. They wanted $178 for it.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:43 PM
bbgot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It looks like I might be the first person here to buy one of the wildcats. I bought it for $200 out the door from my local gun store. The mags are identical to the TOZ 78. I can say that the scope rail is NOT 3/8", it's slightly smaller, the only kind of rings that I could get to fit were the millett rings that tighten from both sides. I've only shot it one time but it was grouping better than my souped-up 10/22 with bulk Remington ammo. hope this helps
Old 07-09-2007, 08:29 PM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to ToxicSports
bbgot,

to RFC. There's one rule...well it's not a rule but it's kinda like a request. We need PICS!!!! We've all seen the photos on the web but nothing of the shooting ability in terms of targets.

I have a Wildcat Target/Varmint on back order through a dealer and they have no idea when they are going to get them.

The last I heard was this fall. Yeah, that REALLY narrows it down.

TS
Old 07-10-2007, 11:39 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Bbgot . . .

. . . the Toz rail width is about 9.5 mm, but I've had good luck with the Leupold rimfire tunnel mount on mine - works like a charm. I'll post a pic of it later. Why the tunnel - why to maintain ability to shoot with factory irons - no need to remove factory sights, which would be ugly, especially the front sight.

Here tis.

Which mount did you end up using to install your scope bbgot?

Last edited by j.r. guerra in s. texas; 07-10-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:01 PM
bbgot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sorry no pics, I don't have digital camera (spent the $ on guns). I bought the standard model Wildcat, (not the heavy barrel). I can say that the winchester was grouping smaller than 1/2" at 25 yards with iron sights and bulk ammo. I've mounted a Weaver 2.5x-7x on it since then and should be able to go shooting this week.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:15 PM
jmlivingston

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wildcat availability

There were a few in stock at galleryofguns.com earlier this week. When I checked they had 28 in stock, that afternoon they were down to 14 left and right now they are out again. They're listing MSRP as $229, a couple of my local dealers came up on their locater and had them at around $185.

John
Old 07-14-2007, 03:10 PM
bbgot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just got back from vacation where I was able to get some shooting time in with the wildcat rifle. with a 2.5-7x scope on it and at 40 yds it was able to put three shots into one ragged hole a couple of times. All of the groups were smaller than 3/4". This rifle was deadly on the turtles in my stock tanks. Although I'm sad that Winchester no longer makes their own firearms in the U.S., this is a fairly high quality rifle for the money and I'm impressed with its accuracy.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:29 AM
canadiangunnut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
USA Peep Sights for TOZ

One of the things I like about the toz78 is the hooded front sight.

It lines up nice with the Williams FPGR Peep sight I mounted on the receiver grooves.

Last edited by aom22; 09-05-2007 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Add Title