Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:22 AM
IanC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage Rascal in an adult stock

I posted this on another forum I frequent but figured i would put it up here too.

I have a Savage Rascal that i have always wanted an adult stock for. I searched the forums and many other people want one too. I found a spare Mark II sporter stock on the EE a couple months ago and stuck it up in the rafters until I had time to mess with it. Having nothing going today I got to work on it. The first issue was that the stock holes are in a different location so had to remove material and drill a hole behind the trigger guard. Then a new hole had to be drilled through the metal insert in the stock. Luckily when i bought that spare stock it came with the screws too which actually worked perfectly. I had quite a bit of file work in the stock to make the peep sight fit too. So here you go the Savage Rascal in a Mark II stock

The internals
https://imgur.com/gallery/PRBvShK

Last edited by IanC; 10-16-2019 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Getting picture size right
Old 10-16-2019, 11:59 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice jobyeah those little buggers shoot really good.. Iíve set a couple of them up for the nieces and nephews, and was recalcitrant about letting go of them.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:24 PM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like it.

You're making me want to find a Rascal to go with my Mark II's.

Do you happen to know how much the barreled action weighs without the stock? If I could find a used Rascal for a reasonable price, I would maybe just make a skeleton stock for it using some spruce.

Last edited by toomanyguns; 10-16-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 01:23 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
I would maybe just make a skeleton stock for it using some spruce.
Hense the term "spruce it up".

John
Old 10-17-2019, 02:58 PM
IanC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rascal

Its only 2.7 lbs total so without the stocks Im guessing 2 lbs.

Update, I was able to get to the range with it yesterday, from the bench on a bag its shooting half inch groups at 25 yards. Which to me is pretty darn good due to the big aperture and crude front sight. I really think Im going to like this rifle now.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:39 PM
iceweazel
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now you just need the outlet'ed version of the stock from the FVT and put on a "real" rear-peep sight instead of the kinda meh/so-so thing it comes with.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:57 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Very nice job. That looks proportionally like one of the "trapper" SBR they made for the Canadian market. I've looked around for a take off MKII black stock like that for my wood stocked Youth model but never seem to find one.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:36 PM
IanC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
savage

I actually had one of the Stevens 305F Trappers, this is much better. The peep really makes all the difference. The Stevens had such a short sight radius it was impossible to use past 30 yrds without a scope. As for other stocks the whole point of this project for me was to go with economy and function. I found a deal on a stock and used it. No point in turning a cheap gun into a money pit. Its not like its a 10/22...lol Just something fun to play with.