Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:59 AM
BayouMedic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MK 2 magazine-is it really an issue?

Just curious how many of you have issues with your MK 2 mags. I can't make up my mind if I want to build up my 10/22, buy a savage mk2, or save a few more bucks and get a cz455. The only thing holding me back on the savage is the magazine issues I read about with the b22 and mk2. The mk2 seems to have less issues. Is it something savage has fixed?
Old 10-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the same issue but I think I'm going to go Savage got one already got an MK 2 10/22 is all right got one of those still going to get another Salvage

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2019, 05:40 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Yes, the Salvage magazines are that bad, nothing great about the rest either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 08:05 PM
Dahsira

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Savage Mark II FV. It's incredibly accurate with CCI SV and likely capable of doing 5 straight 5 round 1/4" groups with the right ammo. If I wanted to get into benchrest competition or if I was going on a gopher shoot where I would not suffer from the mags I would absolutely bring this gun.

Having said that, doing ORPS and CRPS (Canadian NRL22) it's absolutely terrible. I find having the flush magazine of a b22 makes up in spades for the smaller loss in accuracy compared to the Mark II.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:11 PM
Dahsira

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe I wasn't clear... The magazine are absolutely terrible. They don't feed well, they mash the round into the edge of the chamber often and heaven forbid if you happen to have the mag touch a barricade or bag... Might as well just eject the magazine and hand load rounds until your time runs out. They are hands down the worst magazines I have dealt with. I have Ruger 10/22, Anschutz 525, CZ 457, Savage 64, Savage B22, and Savage Mark II. There are pros and cons to the other magazines but on average they are all very robust and generally don't make me hate the gun. The Mark II magazine makes me LOATH using the gun even through it outshoots all the other guns in the safe with CCI SV.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
build the 10/22
Old 10-10-2019, 09:34 PM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Guess I must have got lucky with mine. I have two Mark II's going back to 2009 - Both fitted with after market MATCH chambered barrels.
I have 5X5 shot mags & 3X10 shot mags. I have never had a feed or magazine issue - EVER.
These actions don't even have a feed ramp but I've had less hassle with mine than a number of other so called "high end" actions I've re=barrelled.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:30 AM
BayouMedic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
build the 10/22
That’s kinda the direction I’m leaning. My only concern is fitting the action into a stock. Zero experience with things such as this.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:45 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMedic View Post
Thatís kinda the direction Iím leaning. My only concern is fitting the action into a stock. Zero experience with things such as this.
its not usually an issue. what stock are you wanting to use?
Old 10-11-2019, 08:27 AM
kidneyboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJA8 View Post
Guess I must have got lucky with mine. I have two Mark II's going back to 2009 - Both fitted with after market MATCH chambered barrels.
I have 5X5 shot mags & 3X10 shot mags. I have never had a feed or magazine issue - EVER.
These actions don't even have a feed ramp but I've had less hassle with mine than a number of other so called "high end" actions I've re=barrelled.
I don't have any issues with mine either. 2 - 10 round mags and the factory 5 round.
My stock FVSR is very accurate.
Just guessing here that the vast majority of MK II owners don't have issues with them and the very few that do make a lot of noise on the interwebs about it.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Savage MK 2 magazines are fine too! But I can see that if you’re running and gunning in a timed competition with enough adrenaline that your motor skills are impaired that the delicacy required to insert the slim delicate magazine into the cheesy magazine well might be a big issue. But that’s gonna be true on the CZ too.

That being said , what does the op want to do? If it’s just casual plinking or casual target shooting, either of the three options are fine. Personally, I’d save for the CZ, it’s just prettier and nicer, I just saw a 455 trainer on sale for 329.

I think Savage has changed barrels on the FV and TRR models, from the smaller diameter fluted ones to a bigger unfluted barrel. I don’t know the new ones shoot , but the older ones are excellent. That being said the Tupperware stocks leave a lot to be desired, and the better Boyd’s stocks, push the price into the CZ zone.

The 1022s are funner, but oft times take a lot of time and money to get right. Trigger, Barrel , Bolt,Stock, rails etc hardware, etc

The CZ maybe needs a better trigger spring.and the Savage a better stock.

Last edited by Toomany22s; 10-11-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:29 PM
squirrelsniper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always read about problems with the Mark II mags, but in several years of using them in various Mark II rifles and in both 5rd and 10rd versions, I have experienced no problems at all. Maybe I'm just that lucky.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Pa22Rimfire
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two five round and one ten round magazine for my Mark II FV 17HM2. They all function perfectly. I have not had any problems.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:13 PM
BayouMedic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
Quote:
That’s kinda the direction I’m leaning. My only concern is fitting the action into a stock. Zero experience with things such as this.
its not usually an issue. what stock are you wanting to use?
Honestly, either a factory synthetic and send the rifle to CPC or go with the magpul stock and Kidd ULW barrel.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:12 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Honestly, either a factory synthetic and send the rifle to CPC or go with the magpul stock and Kidd ULW barrel.
Thatís quite the jump! From a $200 Savage , to a $700 Kidd build