My new Buckmark camper (NIGHTMARE) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:29 AM
ronnie948
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My new Buckmark camper (NIGHTMARE)

I get home, read the book that says to clean & Lube it before firing it.
I go on you-tube to see disassembly and removed the sight retainer.
I pick up the slide and the recoil spring just goes flying.
I clean & lube and go on you-tube to put it back together and find that there is a tiny c-clip that was supposed to hold the recoil spring. It did not hold it at all.
I found the C-Clip and the spring & rod and plastic buffer.
I check to see exactly how the spring and rod go together and put on the clip.
FINE
But really not fine because I could "NOT" get the parts to fit at all.
It seemed to me that the spring was just to long and would not compress anymore to allow fitment.
I called Browning and the gun is on the way to them to check what is wrong.
I know it was very and I mean "VERY hard to pull the slide back, but I thought it was only because it needed some lubing.
I know when I get it back - IT WILL NEVER COME APART AGAIN .
I will just let it stay dirty
Ronnie
Old 10-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, Browning does specifically say not to take them apart.

I have taken mine apart, it's a PITA to get back together.

The slide on mine is hard to pull back if the hammer is down, but that's the only time.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for posting and warning other potential owners of this.

I just got done taking my .22 pistol apart after shooting about 300 rds yesterday. That just seemed normal to me, and yes it was dirty all through. I shot a good bit of bulk (AutoMatch).

I wonder if this a trend with manufacturers, warning against taking their guns apart?

I'm interested, cause a BM Hunter is next on the list...........maybe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 11:51 AM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use long one sided cotton swabs to clean the barrels and the surfaces without taking the gun apart. So far it has worked well doing this.
Some places sell the long swabs that are for the 22LR barrels.
I have some that are 8 inches and 6 inches in length.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:16 PM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ronnie948... do you have a photo of your recoil guide rod and spring that you could post? New recoil springs are stiffer than old ones, but when I've replaced them, it's never been a problem. It's a shame that your c-clip was not retaining the spring... on a new gun, that's Browning's problem.

Prior to first use of a new Buckmark, I'd clean the stuff I could reach, and I'd lube where the slide touches the frame, and run a patch down the barrel, but otherwise, I'd shoot it before I took it apart. I'd want to make sure it was working before I started messing with it. Here's an article from Shooting Sports USA about what to do before shooting a pistol for the first time. But keep in mind that when they say to "disassemble" the gun, they're talking about field-stripping a modern polymer pistol by pulling off the slide; they are not talking about actually disassembling it down to individual parts.

Disassembly and reassembly of a Buckmark is not generally difficult (most complaints revolve around getting the sear spring back in with the legs positioned correctly), but you can induce functional issues if you do it wrong. That's why I've posted instructions online (see sticky thread).

Henry88... yeah, it's a trend for manufacturers to tell you not to disassemble them. I'm sure their lawyers prefer that. And if you send it to them because it got so dirty that it no longer functions... well, you're paying them to clean your gun. It's a win-win for the manufacturer. But it's a lose-lose-lose for you, because you're paying someone to clean your gun, you're left not knowing how your gun works, and if the manufacturer closes, you're left with a gun you cannot clean or fix. If anyone tells you that a 22 never needs to be disassembled for cleaning, they don't shoot much. Some 22 ammo is cleaner than others, but it's all dirty. I recently disassembled my Buckmark Target down to the mainspring for the first time in about 10 months (probably ~4000 rounds since then), and it was so dirty I was amazed it still functioned at all.

dimeman... for cleaning the barrel bore without disassembly, I like using a PatchWorm. Cheap, simple, and effective. For cleaning the other parts you can reach without disassembly, I generally use q-tips, toothpicks, and a plastic dental pick. (Pro tip: Remove about half the cotton from a q-tip to clean the holes where pins go, or crush the end of a q-tip with pliers to fit in small slots like the extractor groove in the barrel, below the extractor claw, or between the guide rod and the top rail.)

Dave

Last edited by rdas; 10-02-2019 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added link to SSUSA unboxing article
Old 10-01-2019, 05:01 PM
ronnie948
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only took it apart because they say to lube it before using it.

If the tiny clip would have contained the spring, I would not have had the problem.
This gun will "NOT" be taken apart anymore by me """EVER"""
A bore Snake and Horady's cleaner and dry lube will be what I clean it with in the future.

I want to thank you all for your answers to this
Ronnie
Old 10-02-2019, 11:29 AM
bluewave
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
C-Clip

Tandemkross has the following part available that eliminates the c-clip.

Eliminator Buck Mark Recoil Guide Rod by Striplin Custom Gunworks
Part Number:2812N0310SSL1

Your Price: $22.99
Old 10-02-2019, 01:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kudos to Stiplin Gunworks for their new recoil spring guide that simplifies the disassembly process of the Browning Buckmark pistol. If I were to own a Buckmark, which I don't, this would be my very first purchase for the pistol.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:51 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning has declared their recoil spring guide rod---- part number B5152683, obsolete, and no longer has them.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:32 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This part is indeed a pain. I lost 2 replacement c-clips working on my brother in law's gun once, and finally put the fire control from my own Buckmark into his until I could order parts.

The best option no doubt is the Striplin Eliminator guide rod (which I now have). Pay the money and never worry about that piece again. Or call Browning and order a handful of new fire control assemblies at like $6.50 each. I've got a couple of those laying around as well since my Uncle and brother in law still have guns that might need one at some point.

Its pretty nice that Billy Striplin is so fond of Buckmarks, because there is barely any aftermarket stuff available for them. I don't have any of these myself, but his grip panel adapters, thumb rest, and slide racker are very nice parts. His custom Buckmark rifle is a work of art.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Amazingly I did not lose my c-clamp during my recent cleaning and got everything back together. But, that new Striplin guide rod looks great, thanks for sharing, it will be my next purchase.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm surprised by all the hubbub over stripping down the Buckmark. I've stripped my Buckmark a number of times since I bought it about 1 year ago with no problems. I looked at numerous you tubes and other guides on the net that were very clear on how to do it to avoid flying parts. Yes, it is a bit of a PITA to deal with the firing pin assembly and the rod, but not more so than many other firearms I have stripped. I always thought I was the worst guy to deal with these annoyances, but it appears I am not!
Old 10-05-2019, 11:08 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Little known is that C and E clips need to be installed correctly. They are a stamped part, one side is flat with sharp edges, the other is rounded off. The groove they sit in likewise must have a square edge against the direction of spring force. If you install with the rounded edges on what should be the 'locking side' it can pop off under pressure.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:54 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think this is all rather amusing given all of the time that has been spent on forums complaining about how difficult the Ruger MKI, MKII, and MKIII pistols were to strip down for cleaning etc. It's like Browning couldn't wait to make their own take down monster.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:13 PM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's really crazy. All I did was loosen my right grip screw and the darned pistol just fell apart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7200041.jpg (483.2 KB, 12 views)

Buck Mark Disassembly/Reassembly Page here:

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#