Victor Jams ??? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:00 PM
retired2006
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Victor Jams ???

I have a Hamden Victor that I have three barrels for. It came with a 5.5" aluminum rib, and I have added a 4.5" steel rib barrel, and a LSP all steel barrel for optic use.
My issue; the 5.5" barrel jams. It extracts and ejects the empty, but the empty then ends up caught side ways between the slide and the breech face.
What could be the possible cause ? I think I read somewhere that sometimes you have to grind or file the slide for extra clearance ? When I first got the pistol with the 5.5" barrel, I was using CCI Blazer ammo without too many issues, but I have changed to SV, and it jams 2 to 3 three times out of a mag full. FYI, this is a shooter grade pistol, so I have no issues with relieving the under side of the rib in the chamber area if that helps.
Any ideas appreciated.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:41 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
Sounds like you need to change out the recoil spring first off if you just acquired this pistol and do not know its history. Or if you have owned this pistol many years and fired thousands of rounds thru it it is due for a new recoil spring. Also make sure the chamber area of barrel is clean. Try these 2 things first. Others will be along to help.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:50 PM
retired2006
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot56 View Post
Sounds like you need to change out the recoil spring first off if you just acquired this pistol and do not know its history. Or if you have owned this pistol many years and fired thousands of rounds thru it it is due for a new recoil spring. Also make sure the chamber area of barrel is clean. Try these 2 things first. Others will be along to help.
Forgot to add to my original post, but it has a new recoil spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019, 07:04 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
retired2006:

The job of the extractor in a blowback operated gun (like most 22's) is to hold the empty case to the slide breech face during firing so that the ejector can hit it out of the gun. Remember that these type guns do not need the extractor to extract as the gas pressure turns the empty case into a piston which drives the slide to the rear.

If the extractor drops the empty case mid travel then you get the jam described. The claw shape of the extractor is super important in these guns and should only touch the empty case at the exact junction of the case body and the rim and NO WHERE ELSE. The extractor should NOT be jammed against the case body. It should not be on the rim of the empty case. It should be able to hold the case to the bolt face during the entire trip of the slide to the rear until the empty case is struck by the ejector on the frame. The extractor also controls the path of the empty case out of the gun.

The test of the extractor includes an inspection of the extractor interface (as described above) and a simple test done with the slide off the gun. Place a loaded round up and under the extractor claw on the slide breech face. Gently shake the slide with the live round on the slide breech face, up and under the extractor claw. The live round should not fall off the slide breech face. If it does the extractor needs adjustment. This test is commonly failed by most 22 on the market today as it usually takes hand fitting to get it perfect. Today's gun manufacturers don't hand fit anything! And extractor claws can wear over time, extractor spring can loose their spring force, and dirt can get into the extractor cavities of the slide.

There are other things that can cause your condition. Interestingly, it is on only one of your barrels which means a comparison of chambers between the barrel should be under taken as well. Especially important is the extractor cut in the barrel breech face. That cut may be interfering with the operation of the extractor. The extractor is suppose to be cam'ed off the rim in the final closing of the slide and, as the slide moves to the rear with firing, the extractor is suppose to snap back onto the empty case rim. If the extractor cavity in the barrel breech face interferes with that action then you may get jams as described.

LDBennett
Old 09-23-2019, 10:53 AM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the slide dragging on the top sight rib?
Is there wear on the top of the slide do to rubbing on the sight rib?

Looking from the side, you should be able to see light between the slide and the sight rib for the full length of the slide.